Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charging columns in GdA  (Read 848 times)

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
Charging columns in GdA
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
As I'm solo testing General D'Armee I'm finding a very fine set of rules in a book that is easy to navigate. (and it does lend itself to solo play!)

Inevitably, there are issues. Here is the first.

Compared to many rules I've played, I was surprised to find infantry in column to be classed the same as infantry in square on the Charge Table mods (most times this is a crushing no-no). I'm sure Mr Brown can offer some excellent historical rationale for this choice but it jumped out.

Along with that comment, a question: Infantry firing from square or column have their casualty results halved - however, it seems any rolled DT result (Disciple Test on the target union) remains in place. Again, it seems reasonable to suppose a volley from a square can cause enemy Discipline Tests but it seems they should be much less possible from a column. (based on very preliminary test games, it seems the best reasoning for this step is once the charger contacts the column, there is an excellent chance the column is Dispersed, ie vaporized). Any clarification on this?
- GC

Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
Re: Charging columns in GdA
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »
My suggestion would be to make your query at the rules author's forum: http://generaldebrigade.fr.yuku.com/. Much more likely to get answers to your questions there.  ;)

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
Re: Charging columns in GdA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
GC,

Three points:

a) Columns and squares have two very different and separate results lines on the charge table. A win to cavalry vs. a column will see a rather dangerous melee situation for the column and if it loses badly it's dispersed. End-Ex!

Whereas squares are far more likely to drive off cavalry, indeed there's no melee situation whatsoever. The vast majority of results will see the square drive off the cavalry; the only other result is the square being crushed, if very, very unlucky or more likely is worn out, with high casualties, etc, and up against good quality cavalry such as heavies or lancers.

b) The modifier to a column does indeed represent the closing up of the ranks and presenting a more solid formation to oppose cavalry. Thus cavalry are less likely to close against a fresh, formed column, but of course, that's not guaranteed.....far better to be in square!

c) The rules are designed to "encourage" players not to charge cavalry at fresh infantry formations. Players will find cavalry has far more impact against worn or even slightly worn infantry. That's also the reason the Discipline Test stays for a column at the higher end of the volley results, (and halving and then rounding down any casualties caused). Its steady (and that's important) infantry delivering a sharp volley as the cavalry close, but heaven help your infantry if they are worn, holding casualties or unformed!   
Hope that helps.

DB