Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 154648 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: Charlie's 15th century - French Ordonnance archers (December 8)
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
Lovely brushwork on those, the army is looking spendid. I must agree with you about the crusader range they are a perfect match for the Perry miniatures, good idea to replace the bows too.

Yes hard to find information about the French Archers of the period, even the Bretons have better information. The flags in art, particularly tapestry and a few hints in letters is all we have.  I like using the red on my French also, blue, green and grey work too.

Cheers
Matt

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
That’s a lovely unit Charlie  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
Lovely brushwork on those, the army is looking spendid. I must agree with you about the crusader range

I have quite a few that I have plans for (for ahem.... a 'few' years!) but are yet to see a lick of paint. The Crusader Wars of the Roses mini's are oft overlooked and as you say mate, they are an excellent match with the Perry EU and Wars of the Roses ranges  8)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #378 on: December 14, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
I've been away for 2 minutes and Charlie stomped out an entirely new section of his army. The cavalry look amazing and the archers do too. Really well done sir. Your army must look really impressive on the table. And you make me feel like I should be posting my new project here too!

Offline bluechi

• Librarian

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #380 on: December 14, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »
And you make me feel like I should be posting my new project here too!

I think you should  ;)

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2021, 09:31:46 PM »
Hi Charlie

Just wanted to thank you for this great tip with the flags.
I will give it defenatly a try!
you saved me alot of work for all these personalities... :)
Cheers

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - new unit of francs-archers (Jan 31)
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
The second unit of French infantry is done!

These are a different sort of archer to the ordonnance longbowmen.... These are the francs-archers, which were essentially a sort of part-time militia as opposed to full time professional troops. They were first raised by Charles VII during the latter stages of the hundred years war, who I believe hoped to have a force of longbowmen to rival the English, but the idea never really took off. The French did start to use the longbow, but I think the 'golden age' of English superiority on the battlefield had passed and perhaps longbows weren't battle-winners anymore, especially if both sides used them.

Fast forward to my era (the War of Burgundian Succession 1477-1493) and the francs-archers saw service both in the Low Countries and Burgundy itself. They seem to have earned themselves a bit of a poor reputation, perhaps due to their interest in looting rather than fighting. They let the side down at Guinegate in 1479 - though to be fair to them the French infantry had been left to face Maximilian's pikemen by themselves after the French cavalry had chased their Burgundian counterparts off the field, and it wasn't just francs-archers who were there. I have found a suggestion that they were responsible for disorder in Burgundy too - the duchy was occupied by the French led by Georges de la Tremoille, until he was dismissed and replaced by Charles d'Amboise. The latter to placate the inhabitants of the duchy promised to put a stop to the looting, and sent the francs-archers home, so perhaps they were to blame?  In gaming terms they can be made notably inferior to the ordonnance archers, or at least less reliable.

Louis XI disbanded them in 1479 after Guinegate, but they were raised again under his son Charles VIII.

For this unit I've used the metal Perry marching archers and billmen from the WOTR range, with headswaps to avoid clones and some of the plastics mixed in. I generally prefer my units in combat poses (archers shooting), but these models are too good to pass up and I really wanted an excuse to use them. So my rule will be ordonnance archers shooting, and francs-archers marching. This could work out quite well for gaming, as in some scenarios I could have the ordonnance archers deployed and ready for action, whilst the francs-archers can be late to arrive and unenthusiastic about engaging!

I really enjoyed painting these, now that I've finally got used to painting all those damned white crosses, and have found a way of painting padded jacks that works.

Here's the two units of French infantry together. It's a start, but not a big enough force for battle yet! I plan to do another unit of each, and there will also need to be some sort of heavy infantry which I've got some cunning conversions planned for.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2021, 09:42:20 PM »
They are spanking.  I like the use of the walking poses across the unit...very realistic.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2021, 11:50:20 PM »
Very nicely done Charlie.

Offline The_Wanderer

• Bookworm
    • My 15th Century Swiss Blog
« Reply #385 on: February 01, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
These look great  :)

I feel your pain on painting the crosses - I have to do the same (but in reverse colours) on my late Hundred Years War English models, it's quite time consuming!
15th Century Swiss Blog: http://hrothgarswiss.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #386 on: February 01, 2021, 09:24:25 AM »
They look great! I like the reasoning around fielding them on the tabletop as disorganised latecomers too!

The method you're using for painting the jacks has turned out really well as well! Keep up the great work

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #387 on: February 01, 2021, 02:03:22 PM »
Very nice indeed.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #388 on: February 01, 2021, 03:27:14 PM »
Fabulous stuff Charlie  :-*

They have come out brilliantly.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #389 on: February 01, 2021, 11:55:09 PM »
Thanks all.

I feel your pain on painting the crosses - I have to do the same (but in reverse colours) on my late Hundred Years War English models, it's quite time consuming!

I really dislike painting freehand on 28mm models, I have manged to avoid painting any heraldry so far (usefully in this period nobles often didn't wear heraldry on their person anymore, which suits me fine), but had to bite the bullet and learn to paint lots of neat white crosses when i started on the French!