Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686508
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Audrey's grimly dark future of stuff (Tech Gang added 30.01.18)  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Audrey's grimly dark future that is really grim and... dark
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
Fantastic! Great choice of models.

The problem with games like SWA is I always want to make more and more kill teams and never get around to playing a game.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
I am surprised that combination of the blue and rust colours work so well but it truly does. Great job on that face. Good work!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 02:35:11 AM »
Very nice.
Did you played them ? I am building Chaos team too and I wonder how they will play.

We did a mini-campaign last Saturday with 6 players. I played 4 games and lost 2. From the beginning you have to go into SWA accepting that certain scenarios will favor some teams.

My first game was against Tyranids and it was Ambush. So they were just outside 12" and quickly got into h2h. One of my cultist did manage to take down the wounded Tyranids Alpha. But 4 of my team of 6 were taken out of action. This was the most brutal game of the 4 I played.

Game 2 was against Adeptus Mechanicus. This was a straight Kill Team Fight. I managed to out maneuver the AM and was shooting at them from the front and side. I took 1 model out of action and 2 were down. The player failed his bottle test and so the mechanicus fled.

Game 3 was against Harlequins. The scenario was Scavengers. The harlequins were able to run 18" so they easily grabbed most of the loot counters. I guess a Raptor might have helped me out grabbing loot.

Game 4 was a multi-player scenario Grab the Cache. It was a 3 player game (chaos, Tyranids and neurons) so like most uneven games one player held back (necrons) and let my Alpha Legion take on the Tyranids. The Tyranids player bottled first. I was beat up some and then the necrons moved in. The 'Nid player managed the destroy the promethium tank after 3 cache were taken (1 by him, 2 by me). I eventually bottled out. No one managed a 5 or 6 with our stolen cache. All 3 teams ended up with 1 cache each.

I had fun playing. When teams start to advance in skill you can have teams that are better suited for some scenarios. Plus there will always be the lucky first turn hits that take out enough team members to force a bottle test and the opposing player fails it. After 4 games I had 5 marines and 3 cultists pretty well kitted out with gear. My only real grumble about the rules was GW changed h2h so weapon save modifiers and strength modifiers stack. I found a lot of h2h resulted in -2 to -6 save modifiers so armour was almost useless in h2h.

I'd have to play a lot more games to give you some insight into how best to play chaos in SWA. I lean towards being more shooty than h2h oriented. Beginning with 4 with ranged weapons and 2 with pistol and close combat weapon. My main goal was to paint up a team I have wanted to do for a while. Not trying to pick the strongest kill team out there. Either way I'm ready to play some more games and have been working on terrain.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
Very nice choice of colours and rust effects.  8) 8) 8)

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
I (mostly) finished assembling the SWA terrain from the box set. I wanted get as many self standing structures out of the box as I could. Plus I already have walkways made for Necromunda that I can use. So with some styrene and extra bits I made these structures. Over all it made some substantial terrain pieces for the table. Who knows how long it will take to get to painting these. Hopefully sooner than later. I've been looking at all the paint jobs people have posted here and elsewhere on line to get ideas for painting.

Promethium Stack/Pipe things. These go with the larger platform but can be used on their own if I want.

The stack combined with the large platform. This just uses bits from the SWA box. I still need to remove some mold lines and add some cables and bits to it.

A hybrid using Necromunda bulkheads, styrene and SWA platform on top. It is about 1/2in taller than the 5" SWA terrain.

My favorite one. The octagon tower. More styrene with a treadplate texture and some bits from another model for the walls.

-A

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Audrey's grimly dark future of stuff (Terrain added 14.06.17)
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
Delicious.  I look forward to falling from them...painfully.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Excellent.

Many questions but will limit myself to how you did the bolt head details?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
Top job  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Many questions but will limit myself to how you did the bolt head details?

I don't mind sharing what I know. I have learned a ton from others on this forum. There isn't a super easy way to knock out rivets/bolt. At least I haven't found one :?. It is hard to tell from the photo but the bolts are round. I wish they were a hex shape but I'm not going that far. That would be crazy lol. I just used a rotary leather punch to make 2mm wide x 0.5mm thick circles. Then make the small bolt bits using 1mm styrene rod cut at roughly 0.25mm on my chopper. The best thing is to just watch TV, listen to music or audio book and make a crap load on them at one time. For the 1mm bits I had 12 lengths of rod about 2in long all lined up side by side so each chop makes 12 bits. Gluing them down goes faster that you would think. I haven't really timed myself. Though I do them all at the end of the build as you can get into a rivet gluing groove that speeds things up. I use Testor's Model Master glue with the metal needle and an xacto blade to pick up and place the pieces. Gluing down 3-5 at a time.

The tools. The leather punch has been used a lot over the years for countless things (even leather :D). The chopper is nice but I tend to use an xacto saw & miter box unless it is very thin as the razor blade tends to leave a slight angle to the cut when it is thick material.

Doesn't look like much but the 1mm rivet bag on the right has about 300-400 bits in it.

-A

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks, I could not see they were not hex shaped.

I look forward to seeing them painted.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
Re: Audrey's grimly dark future of stuff (Tech Gang added 30.01.18)
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
Like a number of others on LAF, I have been working on my gang for the new Necromunda. I got out my partially paint tech gang miniatures from long ago, plus a couple of Van Saar juves. I stripped them and updated a number of the weapons/arms with newer bits. I also added a few new members to the gang. One a conversion of plastic bits, the other was acquired from Dr Mathias (bottom left miniature, thanks again :) ). These are some of my favorite Rogue Trader era figures and I think they hold up well. Though they are a little bit short compared to the new Necromunda figures. Just a genetic mutation to help them fit in the small spaces of the underhive.

So here is my updated Van Saar gang.

FYI: I'm still looking for the Tech Ganger 8 miniature should you have it. Info is here.

thanks for looking
-Audrey

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
Wow, great painting and scratchbuilding here!  :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
The subdued color with the brighter accents is a good choice. I really like what you did with them, the newer components seem to work quite well with the vintage. Great unity throughout.

Interesting thread!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

AWESOME scenery!  :-*

And that bald guy in the stylish black trench coat is perfect for FORSAKEN!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 07:43:26 PM »
Lovely tech gang! Am I right in thinking some subtle converting has gone into the modern arms to make them scale?

I might have a spare Tech no.8, too. Will have a look on the weekend and get back to you.