Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686651
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 789
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Welcome to Eskana - a fantasy campaign for Pulp Alley  (Read 1826 times)

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
Welcome to Eskana - a fantasy campaign for Pulp Alley
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
Currently, I am working on a big hobby project. I will make a fantasy campaign for Pulp Alley. In the past, I played a lot of Frostgrave and Pulp Alley. While we were playing, the idea came up to make a Pulp Alley campaign in a fantasy setting. I did some research on the internet, but to my surprise, I wasn't able to find anything. Of course, there are some guys playing fantasy games, but it seems that no one ever made a fully playable campaign. So, I had to do it by myself. o_o

After some serious brainstorming and even more intense planning (read more on my blog, I started my journey for my very first campaign book.

What is it all about?

The campaign will take places in Eskana, my own high fantasy world. So you can expect heroes, quests, monsters and of course magic. The first act of the campaign will take place on the continent Thelloras. Each act will consist of at least 5 main quests. They will drive the story forward and every main quest will take place in a unique location. My goal is to build a campaign with really compelling scenarios to keep the players motivated. That's why I also want some serious character development like in pen & paper games (think Dungeons & Dragons and alike) in the campaign. But it should also be still manageable. You want to be a  hero mastering daring adventures, not a bookkeeper filling in spreadsheets.

And by the way: I am not a big tournament player, so my campaign will be more co-op focused. Think of some mates having fun and rolling some dice. That's the idea behind it.

There is a lot of work to do, but I will post regularly here and on my blog about my progress.  :)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Welcome to Eskana - a fantasy campaign for Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I fiddled a bit with a modified version of pulp alley for fantasy half a year ago, but never really got it written down. I didn't really have anyone to play it with so the project stalled.

Basically I felt that not much needed tweaking - Pulp Alley being the great game that it is. Just a bit of renaming of things to give them a fantasy twist.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
What Affun says is correct: very little probably needs to be done. Having said that, I do wish Dave and Mila would release a Fantasy version. Why? Because I'm lazy! Not sure it's going to happen any time soon, though.

DavyJones, be sure to keep us posted. Most intriguing!  :)

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:12:57 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I totally agree. With some smaller changes, Pulp Alley should work well for fantasy.

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
Finished the first minis for the campaign. Some Myconids from Otherworld Miniatures. I will use them for a specific scenario. The king will be some kind of boss with nasty special rules.

Hope you like them.  :)

Read more on my blog.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:10:52 AM by DavyJones »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
I [do/i] like 'em very much. Mushroom people are always cool - Nice to see these painted up. Been thinking of getting them myself, along with the ones from Frostgrave.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
Very nice painting - simple-looking yet exude a great threat to any would-be adversaries
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
  I'm looking forward to this as well. Would you be using the PA fantasy genre rule (which basically only adds a few limits to shooting)?

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate your comments.  :)

@Whomever1: I will use some of them. But I don't think they are sufficient, to create a real fantasy flair. But I still have a lot of playtesting to do.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Watching your progress with great interest!
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
It's been a while since my last post here, but the project is still alive. Due to a lack of hobby time, I had to delay the project. But now it's time for an update.

My campaign will contain a quest system (main quests and optional side quests). While the main quests will drive the story forward, the side quests will add some more flavor to the campaign. Besides that, side quests will have effects on your league and the plot itself. 
Road events will set up random challenges for the heroes while traveling the world.

During the campaign, characters will be able to gain experience, treasuries and other useful stuff. The league itself will gain reputation, which can be used for other benefits.

That was a rather short overview, about my concept for the campaign. If you are curious, there is a full write up on my blog: http://glueanddice.com/the-concept-for-my-pulp-alley-fantasy-campaign/ 

As always, comments are highly appreciated.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
The world needs more pulpy fantasy!

May we see some more miniatures related to the project?  :)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »
I'll definitely be following this with great interest. Pulp Alley lends itself very well to all manner of gaming, and I've done a little fantasy adapting myself, but this sounds like the full works!