Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:35:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689505
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warmaster vs Mayhem  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Warmaster vs Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
The game looks great as things stand and I am currently working on one army. My questioning mainly relates to whom I shall take as their opponents, small lead pile which will definitely work well with the rules or large lead pile whose main appeal is the possibility of using them in large games, hence my pondering of how well the rules scale.

Are the two lead piles entirely incompatible? My suggestion would be to paint the small one and then add elements from the bigger one to allow a gradual "scaling up" - and when you've got enough of the bigger one done, you can split them.

I can't really think of any fantasy armies that couldn't be plausibly combined in a single army. High Elves and chaos creatures? Melniboneans (or any number of other Moorcockian analogues)! Lizardmen could be a more stable sort of chaos creature (like Moorcock's Olab).Elves and orcs? Some sort of Elohim/Morlock set-up, with the ugly degenerates as the servants of the elfin overlords. Dwarves and orcs? There's this intriguing line in The Hobbit:

"In some places, wicked dwarves had even made alliances with them [goblins]."

And so on.

What scale (mm-wise) are you going to be playing in?

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
What scale (mm-wise) are you going to be playing in?

Just started a log, which shows everything I had done prior to taking an interest in Mayhem.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102688.msg1274829#msg1274829

So I want to do old hammer style old world, Empire as one army. As for the other options, the big lead pile would be combined chaos (Beastmen which are in the log plus I have loads painted waiting to be based, plus I have 3mm celts which would make good mauraders, plus I have identified loads of suitable demon models). The small lead pile would be an all night goblin army, which I need to start largely from scratch (I have two bases almost complete) and would take a very long time to get to any size. But yes, they could ally together quite easily.
So I want to do old hammer style old world, Empire as one army. As for the other options, the big lead pile would be combined chaos (Beastmen which are in the log plus I have loads painted waiting to be based, plus I have 3mm celts which would make good mauraders, plus I have identified loads of suitable demon models). The small lead pile would be an all night goblin army, which I need to start largely from scratch (I have two bases almost complete) and would take a very long time to get to any size. But yes, they could ally together quite easily. So basically, keep going with an (if I base all the stuff I have painted) already sizeable chaos army, one which I am wondering if it is already too large, or start again with an army which fits a smaller scale. Anyway, from these discussions I think the large army will work fine for Mayhem.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:40:29 AM by Samsonov »

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
Double post, sorry, not sure how to delete.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:41:17 AM by Samsonov »

Offline warchariot

• Bookworm
  • ~Good Cheer to All~
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Double post, sorry, not sure how to delete.

should be able to by editing the post
Larry