Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest Toy received  (Read 79821 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Latest Toy received
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »
Look at what I found for a mere 8 Euros in a local flee market!

Given my the 13th Gurkha Regiment's (Duke of Nutherland's own) involvment in my current NWF project, I just had to get it.

While obviously not military issue it is still a nice piece. Front heavy, which I suppose is intentional, but very well balanced. I read that they are often made of truck suspension leaf steel but this one is stainless which makes me think it is an ornamental item. The embossing and worked brass handle indicate the same. I hear they are often forged from truck suspension leaf steel.

I am nevertheless happy about the find. Very unexpected in this remote corner of the world. Makes a piece of myth enshrouded militariana more real. By the way, there seem to be no concensus on what the notch (kaudi) at the base of the blade is for.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:43:23 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Latest Toy Recieved
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
"By the way, there seem to be no concensus on what the notch (kaudi) at the base of the blade is for."

That's for flossing teeth!

I've in the past, exercised with the Gurkhas on a number of occassions even in New Zealand and they are real find chaps. A sergeant gave me his Kukri which in turn I gave to my father. This was way back in 1979. Oh, am I showing my age 8)

Nice find and have you seen the Pontoonier miniatures?

Did you read those rules I forwarded onto you?

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
"By the way, there seem to be no concensus on what the notch (kaudi) at the base of the blade is for."

That's for flossing teeth!

Makes me wonder how many teeth you have left.

I've in the past, exercised with the Gurkhas on a number of occassions even in New Zealand and they are real find chaps. A sergeant gave me his Kukri which in turn I gave to my father. This was way back in 1979. Oh, am I showing my age 8)

Interesting. I did not know Australia employed Gurkhas. That they press *children* into service is shocking and should be reported. But it explains a lot about how you turnd out, Helen.  :)

Nice find and have you seen the Pontoonier miniatures?

Nope.

Did you read those rules I forwarded onto you?

I am afraid not. My father caring for was recently diagnosed with cancer so I've been preoccupied with both father and son of Hammers, lately.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:43 PM »
Hi Peder,

Firstly, I hope your father's health improves an I quite understand the time you would need.

Australian Defence Force in the past had numerous exercises with the Ghurkas both at home an abroad and sometimes along with Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

Yes, I still have all my teeth, which reminds me, I must book for my annual checkup.

By the way I've some spare Castaway Arts Sikh Officers, NCO and Buglers  Interim measure) that I can give you now that I've Brigade Games and now just finishing off painting the remainder. Oh, you would need to clean them back with my first paint work that really was sad.

Helen

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Latest Toy received
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
Great find, I have always fancied having a Kukri hanging on the wall, but never got around to it. There was a time a while ago where these truned up in every junk/cheap antique shop around the London area.
Its a very nice example, did it come with a decorative scabbard and a miniature Kukri as well?
(Very sorry to hear about your father too)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »
Thank you.

Australian Defence Force in the past had numerous exercises with the Ghurkas both at home an abroad and sometimes along with Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

Yes, I see. I was more curious whether Australia (still?) employes Gurkhas just like Singapore and Great Britain does (and of course India and Nepal).

By the way I've some spare Castaway Arts Sikh Officers, NCO and Buglers  Interim measure) that I can give you now that I've Brigade Games and now just finishing off painting the remainder.

NMost generous, I like them and I would be rude to say no.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
Nice find Hammers, and cheap too!  :)

I picked up a service issue kukri at a millitaria fair last year (I collect odd bits of antique weapons as well as lead) and I am really pleased I did. Sometimes I just like to sit in the loft and hold it, thinking of how it will save my life one day when I become the Road Warrior...

What?

That's not weird at all.

It isn't!

:'(

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Can you guys just buy such stuff and display it without any special permits? I had to get a weapons permit to be able to buy swords (whereas I could have bought a big, doubleheaded axe without a permit - as an axe is classified as a 'tool')

Our weapon control laws do not permit a man to wear a pocket knife, but everybody can buy a chainsaw...... figures.....

Am I just finding this weird because I'm a gamer..?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:18:57 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
Not as cool as yours but heres a baby I picked up for 11 Euro at Mont St-Michel (France)

I love it :) :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
Great find, I have always fancied having a Kukri hanging on the wall, but never got around to it. There was a time a while ago where these truned up in every junk/cheap antique shop around the London area.
Its a very nice example, did it come with a decorative scabbard and a miniature Kukri as well?

Thanks Nick.

No, it did not come with the scabbard (nor a baby kukr). Just as well, I don't have to draw blood each time I unsheet it. Given my lack of deadly foes I would probably bleed to death from cutting my own finger so many times.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »
I used to have a set of 3 with the baby ones too. The largest was over 2 feet long I think it must ahve been some sort fo ceremonial one perhaps for sacrifices or some such as it was a beast

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
Thank you.

Yes, I see. I was more curious whether Australia (still?) employes Gurkhas just like Singapore and Great Britain does (and of course India and Nepal).

By the way I've some spare Castaway Arts Sikh Officers, NCO and Buglers  Interim measure) that I can give you now that I've Brigade Games and now just finishing off painting the remainder.

NMost generous, I like them and I would be rude to say no.

Hi Peder,

Australia never employed Ghurkas.

Helen

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:04:14 PM »
I used to have a set of 3 with the baby ones too. The largest was over 2 feet long I think it must ahve been some sort fo ceremonial one perhaps for sacrifices or some such as it was a beast

Well, you know, in Sweden they say that the armed forces only provide you with two sizes: Large and Much Too Large. Maybe this is universal.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:57 AM »

Thanks Nick.

No, it did not come with the scabbard (nor a baby kukr). Just as well, I don't have to draw blood each time I unsheet it. Given my lack of deadly foes I would probably bleed to death from cutting my own finger so many times.

Idunno, Hammers, you never know when those tricky Danes might try to pull something again;)

Cool find, though. Thanks for sharing.

-Doc

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
Idunno, Hammers, you never know when those tricky Danes might try to pull something again;)

Fat chance - as I pointed out earlier, we have VERY restrictive weapons legislation  >:D