Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Suggestions Wanted  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Rules Suggestions Wanted
« on: July 02, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have recently regained contact with a long lost friend and gaming companion with whom I started my wargaming career back in the 70's.

We both have quite extensive 1/72 napoleonic armies, and I would like to find a contemporary (modern style) set of rules for us to get them back on the table.

Some wishes:

• Preferably not too granular
  • The battalion should preferably be the tactical unit
  • Fast play
  • Army lists for at least the major powers, preferably for all their allies, too
  • Fun - even tongue-in-cheek - special rules for nationalities and/or distinct units are welcome, but no necessity
  • Preferably NO individual casualty removal
  • The rules should be able to handle at least Corps sized forces within the time frame of an afternoon

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, please!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Captain Reid

• Bookworm
    • Cerro Manteca, 1811
Re: Rules Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
I've not played it but perhaps General d'Armee might fit the bill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1io3UWoeCg
The Saindoux Campaign of 1757, my French and Indian War blog
Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog
my Congo blog

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »
Blackpowder

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
Blackpowder is good and once learnt quick and easy

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
Blackpowder

Blackpowder is good and once learnt quick and easy

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but doesn't it have individual cas removal and a model count per unit?
I am not particularly fond of systems with activation rolls (actually, I have ditched the Rampant series of rules because of it).

I've not played it but perhaps General d'Armee might fit the bill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1io3UWoeCg

I shall have a look at it when back from a short camping trip, thanks!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
There is no casualty removal in Black Powder -

Activation is much simpler than Lion Rampant

It does allow for some really big battles to be fought swiftly and to conclusion in a night

Offline Captain Reid

• Bookworm
    • Cerro Manteca, 1811
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
GdA has activation rolls, different to BP and chance of failure can be mitigated by assigning assets to improve one's chances.

BP has no specific figure count and doesn't involve base or model removal.

I think that most modern Napoleonic rules will involve some kind of activation mechanic.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:18:06 AM »
OK, thanks, I shall have some closer looks at both.  :)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
Lasalle would fit the bill as well. A nice fast playing set which is easy to understand.
No casualty removal. Units are 4 bases if normal sized, 6 bases if large (doesn't matter how many figures are on a base).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »
Lasalle would fit the bill as well. A nice fast playing set which is easy to understand.
No casualty removal. Units are 4 bases if normal sized, 6 bases if large (doesn't matter how many figures are on a base).

Never heard of it before, but I shall have a look at it, thanks!

Offline Captain Reid

• Bookworm
    • Cerro Manteca, 1811
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
In depth Lasalle review here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=185105

It's on TMP but the review is sane.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
Sounds like a case for Mr.Sam Mustafa. Have a look at Lasalle (divisional level) or Blücher (army level). This guy really knows how to boil down battles to the things which count, abstract minor things, but still have them have impact.

Black Powder is serviceable and of course very British (dang, those guys are good shots, aren't they. ;) ). I like it. However - if I have a choice, especially when it comes to the time between 1700 and 1900, I'd rather go with sets of rules which are more period-specific than a one-size-fits-all approach.

I only read General d'Armee so far, and it certainly is worth reading. It looks a bit like General de Brigade with the written orders removed and instead the new Aides de Camp system in place (which looks very good).

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 03:48:36 AM »
Also, regarding Black Powder... You may not like the command roll system if you do not like the Lion Rampant activation rolls. In both cases the command is ended with a failed roll; however, in BP you move onto another commander (unless it is your general) whereas in LR you only have one 'commander' so your turn is over. In BP you have the bonus of 'Blunders': box cars means you have to roll on the Blunders Table... hilarity ensues...

For the record I like both of the command/control rules for these systems (but I admit that in LR the consequences of a failed activation are more harsh).

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
Block Powder is OK, and always gives a good game, but it never somehow has much period feel (I used to have the same problem with its grand-daddy, Warmaster Ancients).
I've used the rules for Napoleonic, ACW and Zulu War. They seemed to work best for ACW, but not as well as a set intended for the period like Fire & Fury, Longstreet or Pickett's Charge.
I'd say BP is ideal if you just want to dabble in a period, but if you just want to play that period, you are better off with a set of rules designed for one period.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »
In view of your general requirements, I think Black Powder would make a good choice. If you want to put a Corps on the table and get through the game in a single session and be fun, then all those things point towards BP. It's basic rule set is quite generic, but you there are a number of special rules that you can add to one or more units that give character.

You will mark each unit with a dice to show casualties and typically a unit can absorb 3 or 4 casualties before it starts testing on the 'Break Table', a result of which can see the unit off and suddenly there is a gap in the line.

They use inches for measurement and are thought of as being for 28mm in 12' tables, but they are very flexible and inches can be converted to half inches or centimetres to get a game onto a much smaller table.

Some people don't like the dynamics of the order / move system, but basically units dice for orders to be able to move and will either fail and not move or get to move once, twice or three times ... depending partly on how good their leaders command rating is and how lucky they are on the dice. At the end of movement a unit can fire, so the bit people don't like is that a unit could move three times (36" maybe) and then fire without interference from the target. An easy way around it is to say that if ever a unit moves more than once, it can't fire.

I went to a wargame show last week where they were playing it and they changed the sequence of play so that fire came before movement ..... the main point of this is that Black Powder is a robust system that can be tweaked to your hearts content (described by other as a toolbox).

As said, playing a big game in a short time does point a finger at Black Powder. They are also written in the style of 'Jolly Fine Chaps', which it seems you would be comfortable with.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:34:53 PM by Normsmith »