Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Luc Besson Film)  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Luc Besson Film)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
I enjoyed the film but not as much as I could have. I think the critics have it about right... "Lack of chemistry between the leading characters, simple/shallow plot but spectacular visuals"

I left with the same feeling that I got with Avatar... it was a visual spectacle but story-wise, there was nothing new.

That said... I went in with no expectations and I enjoyed the film. I would happily go and watch it again... even if it is just to see Cara  :-*

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »

Luc Besson’s movies are really thin "storywise" and this one is no exception… I liked it though. I think all the best parts of the movies were those closer to the graphic novel series. It could have been A LOT better if Besson had followed the general story and universe of the graphic novel series more closely. I saw the "regular" version not the 3D one. It was OK I guess… Still I’ll probably buy the DVD… maybe I’ll just wait for it to hit the 5$ bin…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »
What do folks think of the animated series?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Jam:_Valerian_%26_Laureline  Been grinding through the episodes slowly, not exactly faithful to the graphic novels but I've seen worse.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »
How/where are you watching this?

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 12:28:48 AM »
How/where are you watching this?

Doug

It's online in several places, legally through Crunchyroll.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
Search 'Valerian animation' on You-tube as well.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
Thanks, lads!

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
Up to episode ten at this point.   Not sure I'll finish the series, but it's had enough ideas worthy of stealing for gaming projects that I feel like the time was spent constructively - especially since I've been painting while it plays as usual.

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 12:17:29 PM »
I saw the film last week.  I wanted to like it , I really did. The lead male was the big letdown  to me. Right from the start he just seemed to be following Laureline around like a weak puppy dog.
The plot and everything else was fine. It was just the "romantic" scenes that were cringeworthy.
The soldiers on the desert planet at the beginning- the two sets of SF minis by Trent miniatures are perfect for these:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=483
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=484
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
The plot and everything else was fine. It was just the "romantic" scenes that were cringeworthy.

That's the weak point of the anime series as well IMO, although some of that may be the dub voice acting.  From what I remember of the graphic novels (which I didn't read all of, and what ones I did were years back) there wasn't as much romantic tension between the leads, and whet there is in the show and movie feels both forced and clumsy.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:47 AM »
I finally saw this yesterday. I have been working through the comic books for a year. It reminds me a bit of John Carter of Mars. I liked it, although not entirely faithful to the original, it wasn't necessarily the worse for that IMHO. I thought the story was OK, better than the 5th Element. Brilliant visuals. Leads dissointing, especially De Haan. When you have a comic adaptation you have to get the leads spot on. He didn't seem mature enough. Laureline didn't have her iconic red hair. I enjoyed it enough to welcome a sequel, should one materialise, but I suspect it hasn't done well enough.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »
As of right now it hasn't even earned it's budget back, so far $172 million earned worldwide (with only $39 million domestic) on a $177 million budget, I guess it's close enough that it will probably break even but I'd be very surprised if anyone would give besson more money to make a sequel
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=valerian.htm