Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Film - Lost City of Z  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
New Film - Lost City of Z
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
Trailer for film  Lost City of Z

Not sure if this is the right posting very 'Pulp' but based on true story looks rather good

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: New Film - Lost City of Z
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
I have read the book, it's depressing. Let's hope the movie is as dark as that. (On first impressions it looks good.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »
Looks a decent movie

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
Always been fascinated by the Fawcett story...this looks like it could be good.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:03:24 AM »
Certainly a good book. Look forward to this movie.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
 Phwoaar! I can't understand how this has escaped my radar until now...

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
No longer available due to Amazon claim?
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
No longer available due to Amazon claim?

Is that a fact or a pun? :)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Is that a fact or a pun? :)

It's what I get when I click the link, so at least in my universe it's a fact. :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
The film got a theatrical release over here in Paris three weeks ago. I've seen it and have mixed feelings about it although I think the positive outweighs the negative in the end. On the whole, I liked it and I think it has a haunting quality that stays with you and helps the film overcome some obvious flaws.

Be warned though : anyone expecting a thrilling adventure yarn is bound to be disappointed. The tone is decidedly on the dark and melancholy side and this being a James Gray movie (think Little Odessa and We Own The Night), there's a strong emphasis on the theme of filiation and fraught father/son relationships. In a sense, this is less a tale of exploration than the story of men going abroad to exorcise the ghost of a father figure that has been their burden throughout their entire lives.  

Despite the occasional Indian attack and the WW1 segment, the film is more about failure and frustration than action itself : some people have interpreted Fawcett's story as a mental rather than physical journey and I think that's an apt description of what the film is trying to achieve. If you must compare, Z is much closer to Werner Herzog's Aguirre than Raiders of the Lost Ark, so set your expectations accordingly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:43:58 PM by Arthur »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
You have invoked the HORROR, sir! Even the mention of Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God causes me to cringe. That was one of the least enjoyable movies that I have ever seen. But without having seen the movie version of Lost City of Z, I can still see the comparison with the events described in the book.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »
You have invoked the HORROR, sir!

Should I call you Mr Kurtz when we meet at the river's end ?  :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 02:46:48 AM »
Curiously it seems they shot the film in Colombia rather than Brazil. I suppose a jungle is a jungle to Hollywood and it probably worked out better for the actors' rider in the green room. ;)

Fawcett was a loon but it is amusing that they've chosen to portray him with an actor two or three decades younger than his actual age.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
There's nothing particularly curious about choosing Colombia as James Gray addressed the location issue in several interviews. He originally wanted to shoot in Brazil but that would have proved a logistical nightmare since the places that still look like the ones Fawcett explored are apparently so remote as to be totally impractical given the film's relatively limited budget - keep in mind Z is an independent production, not a big-budget Hollywood extravaganza. Bolivia had the right landscapes but no film infrastructure, so Colombia ultimately proved to be the right compromise between scenery and logistics.    

Re the leading man, Brad Pitt - who's about the right age for the part - was originally slated to play Fawcett but dropped out of the project, although he remained on board as a producer via Plan B, his production company. Benedict Cumberbatch was approached but declined, and Charlie Hunnam was then suggested to Gray by Plan B. Despite being much younger than Fawcett, he was felt to be right for the part and I tend to agree, though I think a better and more charismatic actor would have added more depth to the character.    

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
There's nothing particularly curious about choosing Colombia as James Gray addressed the location issue in several interviews. He originally wanted to shoot in Brazil but that would have proved a logistical nightmare since the places that still look like the ones Fawcett explored are apparently so remote as to be totally impractical given the film's relatively limited budget - keep in mind Z is an independent production, not a big-budget Hollywood extravaganza. Bolivia had the right landscapes but no film infrastructure, so Colombia ultimately proved to be the right compromise between scenery and logistics.    

Re the leading man, Brad Pitt - who's about the right age for the part - was originally slated to play Fawcett but dropped out of the project, although he remained on board as a producer via Plan B, his production company. Benedict Cumberbatch was approached but declined, and Charlie Hunnam was then suggested to Gray by Plan B. Despite being much younger than Fawcett, he was felt to be right for the part and I tend to agree, though I think a better and more charismatic actor would have added more depth to the character.    

Hmm, James Gray is full of shit then. Whilst it's true that much of the Mato Grosso has become agricultural land there are significant chunks of land that are quite accessible and quite pretty much untouched. Presumably he's never heard of the Chapada dos Guimarães National Park? Hardly inaccessible.

For that matter I have friends who holiday every year on the Araguaia in upper Goias, there are some fantastic river beaches. If he wanted virgin chunks of forest then there's endless expanses of it in Amazonas and every second tourist seems to want to spend a night in a jungle lodge. I doubt he had the same budget as a GAP year student or some bozo backpacker.

Cost I can understand and I suspect that's the honest answer. Colombia is a cheaper country and labour costs are lower. Pity. It doesn't put me off seeing it but it seems sad he couldn't find a way to shoot the film in the country it was set.