Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696302
  • Total Topics: 118756
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lost City of Fhagash  (Read 8506 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Lost City of Fhagash
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
Great looking game  :-*
Lookslike a lot of fun.
I really like your table idea, the sand help ties in all the different pieces of scenery to give a really good effective table.
Very nice figures, vehicles and scenery bits and pieces as well, make for a great set up anybody would be proud to play on.
Keep up the good work.
Looking forward to the next installment :D

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
Gentlemen you do me much honour with your kind words, a compliment from Plynkes on my backstory, well thats a memory to treasure. Jolly Bob, thanks for that tip, I will doubtless get dragged along to Debs in January for the sales, and now I will have my own objective. Fortunately Edward (Mr Dodo) has some of these planes himself. So maybe Capt. D'Astardly will bring some friends from the Vulture squadron back with him. The next installment is planned for November, and there will be a follow up report.

Red Orc and Marko, as for the rules, the thing I most like about them is their simplicity and flexibility, especially as one can avoid getting tied down with all the GW nonsense. Characters can be allocated fairly realistic stats, and the same applies to the extras. With a campaign it would be a fairly starightforward matter to develop character skills, by merely adjusting the skill menu to fit the era. One could give driving skills, crackshots, stealth etc. For me the positives of this set far outweigh the negatives. Weapon stats and ranges can be easily converted. I use the leadership as a means of assessing characters abilities to perform tasks. The only slight negatives for me are the armaching amounts of dice to be thrown, but that is no big deal really. The wound system is a bit vague, 1 for a flesh wound, then 2-5 for "down" and only a six for killing. That might need some tweaking, perhaps a two tier system, one for heroes and one for extras. So that heroes can sustain flesh wounds or knockouts, whereas the poor old extras might die. Not unlike the original Star Trek, you always knew the guy in the red shirt was a goner, especially when you had never seen him/her before. But I will stand by the rules, I mean, its a pretty good set of rules that enables you to play only using a playsheet. The only thing I have borrowed from elsewhere is the GW rules on damage to vehicles from WH40K. I did mean to try out Triumph and Tragedy, having read good things about them, but why mend something that isn't broken. These rules have been used by me for a variety of historical skirmish games with no adverse results. A big factor is the people you play with. But that holds true whatever the ruleset.   

For my money Necromunda was one of the good things GW have done over the last few years, which is probably why it no longer appears in White Dwarf that much.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline opa wuttke

• Bookworm
    • A fistful of heroes
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
 :-*

Nice looking table exactly the way I like it.
Waiting to see the pics of the next game...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the crit of the system, that will be really useful for the VSF conversion, cheers!

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
Red Orc, hope that helped. I think you could quite comfortably use the Necromunda rules for whatever skirmish gamers you have in mind. It can handle quite a few figures, and even units, but I wouldn't go too large scale. Having said that I have adapted it for my 54mm WWII games quite successfully. Its trial and error really, the basic mechanics are as sound as a pound. Obviously that refers to the pre recession pound. If I come up with any more mechanics/rule adaptations I will post them. Next project is to write up a set that can used for Pulp and BoB games.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »
That looks great!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
Having seem Mr Dodo's tables for the next game, I am most gealous that I timed my visit to darkest Norfolk by a week.  Drat drat and double drat!!!!

Have a good game chaps and I shall seath with envy when the pics are posted...
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
Well Tad, next time we will have to factor you into the timing. Either that or you could make the move from that dreadful sinkhole of a city like I did, and enjoy the clean air of the country. I will speak to Edward about it, probably be in January after Christmas is taken care of.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 06:22:32 AM »
One rarely see a true sandbox for gaming, but I can imagine no better for a desert game! I love the feel you created by arranging that terrain and miniatures. The story gets me into the mood to paint wood and canvas and get it into the air...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:28 AM »
I ran into an old friend recently, a gaming buddy I hadn't realized was back in town, and he told me one of his projects this summer was a large sandtable down in his basement!

Haven't seen his yet, but hopefully we can get some games in that look at least somewhat as nice as this one.

Sounds like it was a good tight game too!

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »
Either that or you could make the move from that dreadful sinkhole of a city like I did, and enjoy the clean air of the country.

I am sorely tempted as Edward knows!  Thanks very much for the offer as I'm just itching to use my Sky Pirates, so I shall make sure the decks and calender are kept free.