Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Florian's 15mm VSF (Update: Nemo‘s Light Troops)  (Read 13903 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Florian's 15mm VSF (Update: Dinos and 15mm John Carter)
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
Glad this thread was brought to my attention, great stuff mate!

Thank you, my friend! Sadly I somehow have had a far too long hiatus in doing something here. Dan Mersey’s The Men who would be Kong as well as various pulp sets have by now given me ample opportunities to do decent gaming.
Alas, maybe in the new year!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2023, 04:38:05 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I have started to continue my VSF/pulp thread. Let’s start with two older models which afaik I haven’t shown here. They’re from Rebel Minis excellent range of Steampunk adventurers.

A venturous young lady certainly not educated at Ms Coote‘s and a brilliant scientist from Humbold university.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
Those are full of character.  good work. 

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2023, 09:07:56 PM »
Lovely

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »
Those are full of character.  good work.

Lovely

Thank you, Louie & LoxIslay!

While going through my stuff, I found this one. It’s from Rebel Miniature‘s excellent VSF/Pulp range and meant to represent Captain Nemo‘s armed crew. I should have some more somewhere semi-finished and will post them when I found and finished them. Together with an Elite troop of deep sea divers these are meant to represent the forces on board the Nautilus.

Now where can I get a good model for the Nautilus in 15mm…?🤔
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:10:10 AM by DivisMal »

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
Thank you, Louie & LoxIslay!

While going through my stuff, I found this one. It’s from Rebel Miniature‘s excellent VSF/Pulp range and meant to represent Captain Nemo‘s armed crew. I should have some more somewhere semi-finished and will post them when I found and finished them. Together with an Elite troop of deep sea divers these are meant to represent the forces on board the Nautilus.

Now where can I get a good model for the Nautilus in 15mm…?🤔

Here are some Disney inspired models listed: http://www.julesverne.ca/jvnautilus.html

Then there is this one https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/revell-07613-nautilus--202908

Maybe the easiest way to get one in scale: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/1015864389/1100-nautilus-submarine-paper-model?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nautilus+u+boot&ref=sr_gallery-1-14&pro=1&organic_search_click=1

Not so easy as it seems.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2023, 06:47:07 PM »
Here are some Disney inspired models listed: http://www.julesverne.ca/jvnautilus.html

Then there is this one https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/revell-07613-nautilus--202908

Maybe the easiest way to get one in scale: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/1015864389/1100-nautilus-submarine-paper-model?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nautilus+u+boot&ref=sr_gallery-1-14&pro=1&organic_search_click=1

Not so easy as it seems.

Wow! An awesome collection of links!!
Naturally I first saw the one which was an individual model after the Disney version. The Revell kit is nice, but doesn’t seem to be a Nautilus to me. The paper model seems pretty good, though.

Offline Deratt

• Student
Re: Florian's 15mm VSF (Update: Nemo‘s Light Troops)
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2023, 09:17:33 PM »
 The Rebel minis are, indeed very good, but they use different sculptors so some packs can be 18mm and some true 15mm scale. I purchased both packs of Steampunk Adventurers, the excellent Egyptian digging crew, and the Cairo Adventurers which are all compatible with my Martian Empires minis. Also bought the Pulp Heroes and Villains pack -beautifully sculpted but true 15mm size. I would suggest looking at the sculptors to get compatibly sized figures. I got great service from Rebel and would definitely recommend them. Cheers, Jeff

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2023, 06:59:44 PM »
The Rebel minis are, indeed very good, but they use different sculptors so some packs can be 18mm and some true 15mm scale. I purchased both packs of Steampunk Adventurers, the excellent Egyptian digging crew, and the Cairo Adventurers which are all compatible with my Martian Empires minis. Also bought the Pulp Heroes and Villains pack -beautifully sculpted but true 15mm size. I would suggest looking at the sculptors to get compatibly sized figures. I got great service from Rebel and would definitely recommend them. Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff, that’s sad but true and I had the same disappointment. One thing is gaming where from the distance I usually look at my troops, I can ignore the few mm difference. But when I want to admire my collection, I agree, that’s a serious disappointment.

Thank goodness *most* of the 15mm Pulp/VSF producers are on the big side, so I have a veritable collection by now. Have you seen that Khurasan has also released a new range? I’m very keen to find out how these compare sizewise to the rest of my stuff.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2023, 03:24:00 PM »
Lot's of nice stuff here.

By the way, Highlander Studios is still operating - just bought stuff from him last fall.  Google and you can see a list.  Not sure about photos, though.  Have many figures from him - and the Cape buffalo set was a commission I did with him, seven unique sculpts, his version includes a human rider - or did - for the eighth item (mine was a lion killed animal).

And for a Jules Verne Nautilus, check out this very thoughtful link about that submarine: http://www.westernexplorers.us/Jules_Vernes_submarine_Nautilus.pdf

That is a good guide but you won't be happy if you want a Disneyesque version - which would likely sink straight away or at lease be no better than a plow horse for making steerage way.  Remember, the origins of VSF was in "SCIENCE" fiction which meant extrapolating real science, not flights of fancy.  Well, okay, and adapting fiction - but proper science fiction, again, was pushing real science at the time of writing.  ERB, of course, also wrote fantasy books that had nothing to do with science, just pure creative license.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2023, 07:37:43 AM »
Lot's of nice stuff here.

By the way, Highlander Studios is still operating - just bought stuff from him last fall.  Google and you can see a list.  Not sure about photos, though.  Have many figures from him - and the Cape buffalo set was a commission I did with him, seven unique sculpts, his version includes a human rider - or did - for the eighth item (mine was a lion killed animal).

And for a Jules Verne Nautilus, check out this very thoughtful link about that submarine: http://www.westernexplorers.us/Jules_Vernes_submarine_Nautilus.pdf

That is a good guide but you won't be happy if you want a Disneyesque version - which would likely sink straight away or at lease be no better than a plow horse for making steerage way.  Remember, the origins of VSF was in "SCIENCE" fiction which meant extrapolating real science, not flights of fancy.  Well, okay, and adapting fiction - but proper science fiction, again, was pushing real science at the time of writing.  ERB, of course, also wrote fantasy books that had nothing to do with science, just pure creative license.

Thanks! My VSF projects have currently stalled a little, but that link is great reading material. The Disney Nautilus is stuck in my mind since I saw 20,000 Leagues as a kid, but, hey, that’s the beauty of our hobby, that you are actually reading and learning a lot.

I’m still looking for a suitable model and might just change my plans. And you’re certainly right with your emphasis on the S in VSF (even Barsoom tries to explain a lot of things using (late) Victorian research). That’s probably also the main difference to Steampunk and it’s many tentacles.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2023, 07:53:44 AM »
Nice work  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2023, 08:13:23 AM »
Nice work  :)

Thanks, James!

I’m currently stuck in 28mm The Silver Bayonet, but sooner or later the world’s of the late 19th century will be explored again. Be it with the Nautilus or a giant cannon propelling men into space! I did finish enough dinosaurs for the lost world, but need to make some scenery (both for the Lost World and for Barsoom), though.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2023, 08:26:36 AM »
Looking forward to it  :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
Looking forward to it  :)

Alas, I need time! give me more hours/day.
Or, remembering a certain Black Adder episode: maybe I should start my terrain with building a Time Machine hoping it works…;)