Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Early Franks and Domain of Soissons  (Read 15139 times)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
Re: Early Franks and Kingdom of Soissons for Dux Brit (New Franks and Romans!)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:53:05 AM »
Those are looking good. There's nothing like getting an army finally painted, out of the lead pile, and ready to play. Keep'em coming.

BTW, I forgot to add, if you are still looking for weapons Gripping Beast also has angons, those particularly frankish heavy throwing spears which work off of the same principle as the old roman pila.

It also looks like you are converting a lot of Germanics specifically into Franks. If you are doing it for the sake of doing conversions, that's great. If you are doing it because you couldn't find Franks, as gostgost said, Wargames Foundry has some Franks. Gripping Beast (which make up most of my Franks) also has "Really Frankish Franks." They're kinda hidden on the website but do a search and they pop up. They also come with a multitude of weapons including franciscas and angons. That may save you time.
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
Cool little project. Always nice to see someone venturing into theatres beyond the British Isles.
There may be other people working on Dux Britanniarum supplements for the continent. Cannot remember a Soissons project in particular, but perhaps it's worth to do a quick online search or ask on the Lardies forum?

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments and info guys! I appreciate it.

As to the other Franks, part of it is that I really like the Footsore minis. Part of it is that I did not, in fact, know that there were more Franks out there that suited the period. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the open handed minis and I can't really get a good look at either company's offerings. I've found precisely one grainy picture of the Newline one, which don't look half bad, and the Gripping Beast pics are too small to really get a good look. Since they are being sold in a large pack like that, I'm a little wary of dropping a bunch of money on sculpts I don't like AND hands that will need to be fixed. I'm not a huge fan of Soapy's sculpts and the pictures aren't good enough to determine whether they are Soapy or Colin. If they are Colin's sculpts, I'll probably pick them up as the sculpts would be good enough for the conversion work to be worth it, but if they are Soapy sculpts, I don't really feel I could ever be happy enough with the minis to justify the work.

Richard, if you have any pictures of your Franks, I'd love to see them so I can get a better measure of the figs themselves. I am perfectly willing to pic them up to supplement my force if they turn out to look decent from a little closer up.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
Thanks for the comments and info guys! I appreciate it.

As to the other Franks, part of it is that I really like the Footsore minis. Part of it is that I did not, in fact, know that there were more Franks out there that suited the period. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the open handed minis and I can't really get a good look at either company's offerings. I've found precisely one grainy picture of the Newline one, which don't look half bad, and the Gripping Beast pics are too small to really get a good look. Since they are being sold in a large pack like that, I'm a little wary of dropping a bunch of money on sculpts I don't like AND hands that will need to be fixed. I'm not a huge fan of Soapy's sculpts and the pictures aren't good enough to determine whether they are Soapy or Colin. If they are Colin's sculpts, I'll probably pick them up as the sculpts would be good enough for the conversion work to be worth it, but if they are Soapy sculpts, I don't really feel I could ever be happy enough with the minis to justify the work.

Richard, if you have any pictures of your Franks, I'd love to see them so I can get a better measure of the figs themselves. I am perfectly willing to pic them up to supplement my force if they turn out to look decent from a little closer up.

Gunnar,

I have a few spare Newline Franks ( 3 or 4)  which I'm never going to use again. (duplicates)  Send me your snail- mail address via pm and I'll pop them in a padded envelope. That way they you can see them 'in the flesh' and these poor chaps will then be having a good home at least. :)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
Willie,

Thank you! PM sent! I really appreciate it!

I should hopefully have a few more to show off soon. Next on the painting queue are some elites, but I've got some more levy and the archers started and also a Lord.

Watch this space!

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
I'm posting some works in progress as requested by some so they could see how I made the conversions.

Some elites on their way soon, I'm about to give them their wash and highlights.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:35:41 PM by arget8 »

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Re: Early Franks and Kingdom of Soissons for Dux Brit: Update on page 2
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Here are the first three elite Frankish Warriors. I'm planning on doing a lot of stripes on these guys to really emphasize their Germanic heritage and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. I will also be doing some with some head swaps so I can do a couple with their distinct hairstyle in my next batch of elites. I could use an opinion on how to represent the regular warriors, as I usually use guys with just helmets, but that means that I wont be able to show off the hair. But if I leave the helmets off, they will look like Levy. What do you guys think? Maybe have them holding angons in their shield hands?

Let me know what you guys think!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:33:56 PM by arget8 »

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Early Franks and Kingdom of Soissons: Elite Franks update on 9/10 (Page 2)
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
Very effective technique on those tunics. I would do a mix of helmets and hairstyles for the warrior units, to distinguish them from levy. And maybe duller colours for the levy.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Not a bad idea, I think I'll take it. I may also put angons in the warriors shield hands for the warriors without helmets. That should be helpful to me to remember because I would like to have the hairstyle for all the units. Below is how I will break them down then:

Characters and Elites: Mail and helmet/hairstyle
Warriors: Helmets and hair (with angons) and brighter colors
Levy: Duller colors and hair

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
Also, sorry for the double post, but if anyone is interested in taking a look at the supplement as is, let me know. I've got the basic stuff done for the Romans at this point. Starting on the Franks shortly.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Ok, here are the next three Frankish Levy, try to spot the conversions on them. I'm also posting the first Frankish character model. I'm torn between making him a lord or the champion. Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:36:44 PM by arget8 »

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
And one more Frank warrior. Some Romans and more Frankish Levy coming up next, but probably not until the end of the week.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:37:14 PM by arget8 »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Early Franks and Kingdom of Soissons: Even more Franks! (Page 2)
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
Excellent color pallet.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Re: Early Franks and Kingdom of Soissons: Even more Franks! (Page 2)
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
Thanks! I'm trying to work within historically accurate bounds, but still make things interesting.