Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: News: Conquest Games - Medieval Knights box set  (Read 22247 times)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: News: Conquest Games - Medieval Knights box set
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
They weren't previewed at Crisis? Wow, either its the 'Renedra bottleneck' at play, or Conquest really don't want to sell their figures...

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
I’m fairly sure they had a sprue out at Crisis, I didn’t look too closely at the table as I’d seen them at SELWG and I was after the exotic continental stuff  ;) but it looked like their usual display sprue,  And from a chat at SELWG I understand it’s the bottleneck factor - they are hoping for release this year but can’t commit definitely.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
It's was at Crisis, I've got a "box" to prove that. That is there is no box yet, and the sprues were the last test sprues.
You will be receiving 3 sprues of 5 knights, 3 horses and their heads and weapons , 1 sprue with the commander (cape,horn,arm with bird of prey, extra head and 3 horses + heads and weapons and 2 more sprues with 3 horses giving you in total 16 riders and 18 horses. The 2 extra horses can be used as pack horse should you have some packs and extra weapons and/or shields to glue on them.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
But are they any good, Johan?  ;)

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
I like them, but that is just my opinion. I'll enjoy putting them together in the most unexpected poses as I usually do with any plastic box that I buy. Your examples are a huge inspiration and push me to get even wierder poses that I think you can only achieve with plastics. One day I must invest in some serious photography stuff to take pictures and post these.

Their horses are just the same as the norman ones (each new part costs a lot of money) , the heads are like the fireforge system with a chin protuding that has to be glued over the neck. What is interesting is that for a head with the coif down, the rolled up coif can be glued between neck and head.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Johan. Looking forward to seeing them, as I could do with a few more feudal era knights...  8)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
I saw them too at Crisis. Although I didn't know that you could buy them. I saw a painted unit in the display cabinet (not the 3-ups) and one sprue. I think the knights looked good, much better than the Fireforge knight kits.
Bob Naismith sculpts the fireforge and conquest sets. I am also not a huge fan of his work, but I think he did a better job this time.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
I think the knights looked good, much better than the Fireforge knight kits.
Bob Naismith sculpts the fireforge and conquest sets. I am also not a huge fan of his work, but I think he did a better job this time.

That’s encouraging to hear, thank you  :)
He also did all the Gripping Beast plastic sets too, and the first two Frostgrave plastic sets. I think he must be quite, erm, cost effective to get so much work from so many entrants to the plastic figure market. I find his work variable. Some of his stuff I like, like the original GB Viking and Saxon stes, and the FF sergeants. Some of his work I think is terrible, like the Conquest archers set. Heads are his strong point, legs his weak point. Posing is often odd and rarely realistic looking. But I’m hoping for better with this new set.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
Agreed captain. I do enjoy getting all the kits and making some unique things out of them. I'm curious when we can get our hands on them and I regret not going to crisis.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
That’s encouraging to hear, thank you  :)
He also did all the Gripping Beast plastic sets too, and the first two Frostgrave plastic sets. I think he must be quite, erm, cost effective to get so much work from so many entrants to the plastic figure market. I find his work variable. Some of his stuff I like, like the original GB Viking and Saxon stes, and the FF sergeants. Some of his work I think is terrible, like the Conquest archers set. Heads are his strong point, legs his weak point. Posing is often odd and rarely realistic looking. But I’m hoping for better with this new set.

I find it sad that almost all companies, except Victrix and the Perry's, that do plastic sets use him as the sculptor.

I am a huge fan of the Claymore Casting  early hundred years war range. Those mini's are sculpted by the incredible talented Mathew Bickley. I would love to see him tackle a plastic medieval set.

I bought the Conquest archers after I purchased the Perry HYW archers... . There is no comparison in options and poses.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:23:55 PM by Tonhel »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
I had a good look at the sprues and figures on the Conquest stand at Warfare yesterday, and I thought they looked rather nice. What struck me is that the figures are more finely detailed and properly proportioned than the Fireforge knights by the same sculptor, and weapons are much less fantasy sized and more proportionate. The Conquest horses (same as the Norman horses) are also really quite nice looking models, better than the Fireforge horses by some way. All in all, a promising looking set. Looking forward to them now. Just waiting for the boxes to be printed apparently...  :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
Well that certainly sounds promising Captain.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the sprues?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
Fraid not... I should have shot some, shouldn’t I?  :?

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »
I am just really curious. I've been building some knights with the fireforge kits the past days and I have a lot of issues with a lot of the weird poses that come in the kits. I am hoping these will be a lot better. So far everything points to it that they will be worth it a lot more already.