Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Cavalry, Zulu wars  (Read 9930 times)

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
British Cavalry, Zulu wars
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Could anyone tell me where I might get 3-4 cavalry miniatures, british officers, this is for a side project I'm thinking about so basically they need to fit the films zulu and the man who would be king in stylings...

I've been eyeing the empress line, so compatibility with these would be an absolute bonus!
(as would empress actually releasing some cavalry figures/riders and saving me trouble... nudge!)

as a side question, can anyone show me comparison photos of copplestone deepest africa and the empress minis...

thanks in anticipation of full on topic replies.... o_o

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: British Cavalry, Zulu wars
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »
Well - from what I understand cavalry are next on the Empress schedule  ;)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »
Well - from what I understand cavalry are next on the Empress schedule  ;)

I wonder where you are getting your info from?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »
Redoubt have a very comprehenisve Zulu wars range and the bonus is you can buy the figures individually. They have mots of the various Imperial and volunteer units represented.
The only issue is they will be much taller than your Empress figures. Perhqaps wait and see what Empress release as they have said they are intending to cover everything. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
To clarify the rumour and speculation we at Empress can confirm that work on the cavalry has started.

Research completed - Horses ordered - dollies planned - troopers ordered -

Greens (greys?) awaited - then masters - then production  moulds - then production - then sales.

We are not going to give a time scale but ASAP as far as we are concerned  ;) A couple of months should see them beginning to roll off. We are going to cover every unit that was in the conflict.

In the meantime there will be some other interesting new releases trickling through. An announcement on the next will be made next week  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:28:32 AM by Empress Miniatures »

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
we at Empress can confirm that work on the cavalry has started.

Sweet. These'll be worth getting...
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
we at Empress can confirm that work on the cavalry has started.

Sweet. These'll be worth getting...

Huzzuh!

I agree.  I could use some nice cavalry...  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »
Great news EM!  8)

Here is a nice pic taken from this link below:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=150140

Helen
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:16:56 PM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »
Could anyone tell me where I might get 3-4 cavalry miniatures, british officers, this is for a side project I'm thinking about so basically they need to fit the films zulu and the man who would be king in stylings...

Zulu and The Man who would be King both have different uniforms from one another, they're set many years apart.
Where/when is your project set?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:27:37 AM »
That's a lovely pic, Helen. What I find puzzling - and frustrating, considering I have a unit of Tars ready to paint - is that they are always described as having light blue collars, but so many pics show dark or even navy blue. Oh well, time to toss a coin  :)

Back on topic, Foundry have some very nice 21st Lancers:

but sadly only one in the pack is an officer. It's a start, though.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »
Black Tree Design have some great figures.  Though I only have the infantry they do a 17th Lancers Cavalry Command - three figures I think.

Now that's the good news.  The bad news is if you order anything from BTD there's no way of telling when, or even if you will ever receive the figures.   :-[

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
Zulu and The Man who would be King both have different uniforms from one another, they're set many years apart.

It's hard to say when The Man who would be King is set. Peachy and Daniel talk about their exploits in the Second Afghan War (which was roughly at the same time as the Zulu War) as if it were years ago, yet the British soldiers they meet are dressed in 1870s/1880s uniforms (with home service helmets, for some reason!). Private Mulvaney has a Martini, so it can't be any later than 1888, nine years after the Zulu War at the very latest. Our heroes wear their old uniforms from the 2nd Afghan War, too.

So there is nothing in the uniforms or equipment that sets it a long way from Zulu in time, only Peachy's comments along the lines of "but that was years ago" when talking of fighting under General 'Bobs' in Afghanistan.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:10:44 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »
So there is nothing in the uniforms or equipment that sets it a long way from Zulu in time, only Peachy's comments along the lines of "but that was years ago" when talking of fighting under General 'Bobs' in Afghanistan.

Heh, I suppose, yet there are some differences, which could make all the difference in a project...
So when/where IS your project set?  ::)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Sorry, mate, but I don't see what you're getting at. Could you explain?  What is it that puts the uniforms in the two films "many years apart?" I admit that I'm not totally up to scratch on the intricacies of the uniforms of the time, and find it a little confusing, what with all the local variations and reforms here and there. Everybody seems to be wearing either dress tunics or undress frocks from the same period in both films. What am I missing?  ???

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
tbh I just posted here cos it was labled colonial, and I want some pith helmeted, stiff upper lip type for a comedy conversaion... looks like the foundry one will sort it... unless I show some restraint and buy it when it's just about to get painted, which could let empress in...