Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Best" Pathans  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
"Best" Pathans
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
I'm looking to start painting forces for the NWF, and I'm looking for opinions about who makes the "best" Pathans - best being your opinion, of course.  And as I'm somewhat remote from any shops right now, a good mail order service is a must!

Thanks in advance

Will

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
Re: "Best" Pathans
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »
Foundary do nice ones , also Old Glory , not as good but more variety

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »
Foundry. But there's only about 20 of them. I supplement with Baluchis and a few Sikh wars figures.
Personally I'm not that keen on the Old Glory ones.
See my NW Frontier gallery here... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=78;u=577

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »
I will echo Captain here one of their best ranges to date

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
Castaway Arts have a very nice range of Pathans an I've seen these in the flesh. Ask Hammers what he thinks as I sent him some!

Askaris Miniatures also have a small range which looks nice.

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:57:59 AM »
The Castaways are serviceable but nowhere near as nice as their NWF Brits and Indian army figures alas. Some oddish poses, rather stiff and the faces are a little primitive IMO. Still the more the merrier.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
Some more useful types from Tiger Miniatures!

http://www.tigerminiatures.co.uk/page9.htm
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
Not wanting to be the eternal naysayer, but having had experience of some Tiger Miniatures figures recently (I'm actually working on some now) I can only say... Never Again!

Not only are they manufactured from some kind of metal that is totally impervious to all tools known to man (making cleaning them up the most tedious experience I have ever had the misfortune to endure), but they really are some of the most hideously mishapen trolls ever sculpted.

I was planning to use their Balkan Wars Bulgarians to do Salonika (Great War). Well, now this project has been abandoned.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I really, really, really do not like Tiger Miniatures' figures since I have actually had to work on them. It has been an experience that has almost put me off the hobby altogether, I've had a thoroughly demoralising time with the damn things.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
I use a mix of Foundry and Old Glory Pathans. Both fit nicely together. The Old Glory Pathans have a large variety in poses.
, ,

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  It seems that everyone and his uncle produce some sort of nineteenth century British soldier, and almost as many make Indian army (but try and find a sepoy who ain't a Sikh!), but when it comes to the armed opposition, it's a bit of a trial! 

I think I'll start with the Castaway figures as they look the best in the photos.  If my credit card can handle the impact, I might follow up with some Foundry.

Cheers!

Will

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
Sorry for the harsh words, but I really, really, really do not like Tiger Miniatures' figures since I have actually had to work on them. It has been an experience that has almost put me off the hobby altogether, I've had a thoroughly demoralising time with the damn things.

Mmm.  Now that's a concern as I was thinking of getting some.  Any one else have personal experience of their figures  :?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »

Mmm.  Now that's a concern as I was thinking of getting some.  Any one else have personal experience of their figures  :?

I have several lots of their figures, mostly Greek of Balkan wars.
I am happy with them [you can see some photos posted somewhere in the forum or see:
http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn335/argsilverson/wargaming/

I have seen some turks and I also have some German colonials. Some of them are great figures!!!
Some of the first issues have some problems but the newest releases are very good one and are getting better with the newer releases.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »
By playing around with the shopping carts, I see that I was unduly harsh on Foundry prices.  If I get the Hill Tribes Horde deal, the price works out almost the same as ordering the equivalent number of Castaway Pathans.  That is, of course, using the 'Rest of World' shipping rate.  Foundry is certainly not making any friends in Europe by charging approx 25% extra for the privilege of ordering in Euros!

I know that Foundry mail order is very good, as is Askari - can anyone comment on mail order from Tiger or Castaway?

I'm not terribly keen on paying Old Glory shipping rates, though - while it is nice to have the security of United Parcel Service, the shipping charges more than double the cost of the minis.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
I believe that Old Glory will ship via other methods if you ask. That said, the Foundry models are very nice.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
Castaway do good mailorder service , about a week to U.K. ( BETTER THAN SOME U.K. FIG FIRMS I COULD MENTION !!)