Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690579
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quick and dirty townscape boards  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Quick and dirty townscape boards
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
So, normally my terrain builds are in a specific area - usually either post-apo, ww2, flouncy shirts, VSF, or fantasy, but this one crosses two of these, and probably could be used for some others without too much whinging.

I decided I needed a more urban looking board - now my main games right now are post-apocalyptic (Fallout is my first love of miniature collecting and gaming outside of a system game world) and Bolt Action, which, honestly, I have a lot of crossover with.  You can grab almost any of the European buildings and drag them into the Boston Commonwealth or certain parts of the Capitol Wasteland without no loss of feeling like they belong, so I mix and match a lot for my tables.  I have tended to build without putting roads on, but I wanted to try a multiple board setup that could be moved around to see how it worked in different configurations, while not actually buying anything I didn't already have.

I started with a number of 12" x 24" x 2" blue foam boards I had picked up for free some years ago, and were languishing in my shed, and glued together 6 of them into 24" x 24" boards.  I only had seven, so for a fourth board, I glued together 2 layers of 1" blue foam I had gotten at the same time to make a 4th 24" x 24" section.  I then scrounged up a 24" x 48" piece of pink insulation foam that was heavily damaged on one side, and added that to the mix so I can build my standard 4' x 6' gaming space.

(I am a longtime Warhammer player, so I can't help but think in terms of 4' x 6' when it comes to gaming.  Sorry, even though I have not actually played 40k since 4th edition, I started playing it with Rogue Trader, so certain patterns are locked into my gaming mind.)

So I started looking around for stuff to use for roads, and I found I had some of the ridiculous cobblestone rubber stuff that you can find on sale dirt cheap just after Christmas from Lemax, and started cutting it to size.  I then decided to add sidewalks - as I was looking for references, I noticed that the majority of photos I could find showed that there were at least small sidewalks in most areas of urban Europe, and they certainly existed in the US, so I used some sandpaper I had around.  It was a belt from a large industrial machine, so I could cut some good lengths out of it.  I then mounted these on with a doublesided tape I picked up from work that we use on banners.

And started painting...

I textured the terrain with a spray-on fleckstone, and used my airbrush to put a black primer coat on the roads/sidewalks.

Then, the drybrushing began.  I used a color scheme to match my post-apoc - I decided if I need to make it look more green for say, Market Garden, I could do that by adding grass patches and park/garden pieces.  Then it can serve both duties effectively.

I then found an old green blanket I had been using for a cat bed and airbrished a lighter green on the top points to cut into grass patches.

And this was the table it debuted on, when I was playing Bolt Action with a friend.

Considering I managed to find everything I needed for this project in house, so there was no monetary outlay for anything in the project, I was pretty damned pleased.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:23:53 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Quick and dirty townscape boards
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Quick and dirty townscape boards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »