Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18693 times)

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
Re: Didn't See this Coming(Saga)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
The interview does make it sound rather good, (although all those people who own all the previous rulebooks must be feeling a little upset to see it confirmed that all but A&A are invalidated by the new books).   One thing though, if the Age of the Vikings book contains 12 factions, who is for the chop?  As there are 16 Dark Ages factions (not including Skraelings or WI Early Arabs).  1) Normans, 2) Anglo-Danes, 3) Welsh, 4) Vikings, 5) Bretons, 6) Anglo-Saxons, 7) Scots, 8) Jomsvikings, 9) Franks, 10) Irish, 11) Norse-Gaels, 12) Strathclyde Welsh, 13) Pagan Rus, 14) Princely Rus, 15) Byzantines, 16) Steppe Tribes. 

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the fairly substantial changes in the core rules could entail. From the first book to C&C, the actual mechanics were slightly tweaked and phrased more clearly, rather than really changed. Besides, any criticism of the game I heard was always aimed at particular warbands, rather than the rules itself.
Glad that A&A will stay relevant, seeing how I've yet to play a game with that book (or indeed paint my Romans). Not that anything is stopping me from using old rules of course, but finding opponents won't be easier with outdated warbands.

As for warbands getting the chop, I think those going will be the ones further from the Western European focus and early period: Steppe Tribes, Byzantines and Princely Rus. Then either the Jomsvikings (can still be used as Vikings, if you allow them Dane axes) or Strathclyde Welsh (allowing the normal Welsh a more cav focussed band). The Joms are a tad less historical, while the Strathclyde were never overly popular from what I've seen. As for the others, Byzantines will just move to the Crusades book, as could the Rus Princes I guess (not entirely sure what period they cover, but I assume there is overlap with the Northern Crusades. Saying that, it also wouldn't surprise me to see the Pagan Rus go for similar geographic reasons, with both Joms and Strathclyde staying in).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:26:53 PM by Coenus Scaldingus »
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
I will wait untill they are released and read comments on it.
But i´m one of those not happy at all to have invested in several books and in 2018 they will become obsolete.
I think i wont buy this book or any other since it isnt fair to start all over again.
Besides i´m happy with the rules as they are. :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Perhaps I would be more excited about this if I had played the crap out of the previous editions... but I haven't  :'( I think it is probably a good way to go though. I imagine the changing of the dice required to activate abilities will be what out dates the old battle boards. Hopefully there is nothing too radical otherwise- just re-wording of abilities to clear up ambiguity.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
The interview makes it clear that existing battleboards will be usable with the new rules (with a few tweaks required), so your investment won't be wasted. You can of course continue playing with your existing rules.
Considering how many hours of fun I've had out of Saga I don't begrudge spending a bit more money at all, and I haven't even played all the factions I've got!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
Sounds great to me. Love me some Saga. The current rules have been revised, amended, and reworded in so many different books I'm sure I am playing it wrong! A chance to have one definitive rulebook at a low cost, yes please. I don't like pdfs and I don't like having half a dozen books to leaf through, so I'm happy about this. I just hope it doesn't take as long as the usual snail pace. Long overdue if you ask me.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
Right will that do? :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Our group played loads of Saga when it first came out, and we added in forces from the second supplement. I got C&C and me and a mate started putting together Crusader armies, but they haven't reached the table.

It was nice to have the C&C rule book to play the Dark Ages games as it had all the errata in one place, and cleaned up some of the text. But it was the same rules.

Not sure about a second edition - but more from a not sure if we'll play it. Or can really be bothered to learn some variants to the rules we already know.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »
Oddly enough I would prefer the rulebook in hardback instead of  cheapish soft-back. SAGA always had this 'posh' presentation thing and I loathe rulebooks falling to pieces after frequent use. All books for that matter.

Still, brilliant idea!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Stapled softback books usually hold up better than cheap hardbacks.
Hardbacks have an annoying tendency for the ends to detach.
Don't get me started on 'perfect bound'. Possibly the worst option.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
"The release of Aetius & Arthur brought to light a problem Saga suffered from: the impossibility of getting the rules separately from a certain period. If you aren’t interested in the Late Roman or Arthurian period, you have to get the rules elsewhere, either in their most recent incarnation (Crescent & Cross) or in their original form (Saga: Dark Age Skirmishes). Since we want to release supplements opening Saga up to new periods without repeating the basic rules in each book (making them more onerous than they should be!), we didn’t want that problem or the legitimate issues it raised to continue. Not to mention it was an obstacle to making Saga as accessible as it should be."

This was always something that kept me out of Saga.  I was never quite sure exactly what i needed to get going.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
I will wait untill they are released and read comments on it.

+1

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
I'm pretty content with my Dark Ages stuff as it is, so unless there's suddenly a huge surge in interest for the new edition rules in my area I probably won't bother getting new stuff until they release a sourcebook for a setting that interests me, which isn't already covered by some other set of rules that I already own. Looking at the teaser video, I guess maybe that will be the 100 Years' War or ancients?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:28:54 PM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
+1

+1  I'm happy with using what I already have, and don't feel like learning yet another set of new rules and add ons. What with FoW and Bolt Action as well I'm getting pretty hacked off with this fad of bringing out more versions of rules I already know and use perfectly adequately. Since I don't enter competitions it won't affect me though, I'll carry on with v.1.