Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:27:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: mythic ancients skirmish game?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Shadowdragon

• Assistant
mythic ancients skirmish game?
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Other than Of Gods and Mortals, is there another mythic ancients skirmish game that either supports a lot of different armies (Greek, Egyptian, Celtic, Indian, etc.) or has troop creation rules so players can make their own armies?

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: mythic ancients skirmish game?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
Perhpas Open Combat? I haven't played it but watched a demo and listened to an interview with Gav Thorpe just after it was released. It is designed for player generated groups of characters (it does sound a bit RPG) in any setting that would normally be considered 'Ancients' up to medieval. I think it also allows for magic if you wish.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
What about modding LotR SBG? It's fantastic for human-centric gaming and you could overegg the differences in the forces but proxying - eg If you want Dacians to be strong and tough you could use the Urk Hai list.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Song of blades and heroes? It's the engine OgaM is based on but a little more free and with open character creation.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
Perhpas Open Combat? I haven't played it but watched a demo and listened to an interview with Gav Thorpe just after it was released. It is designed for player generated groups of characters (it does sound a bit RPG) in any setting that would normally be considered 'Ancients' up to medieval. I think it also allows for magic if you wish.
I second that, great system! One supplement with nice additions. Easy to handle, but complex in the game.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
Labors (sic) of the Gods by Scott Pyle

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99916/labors-gods
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
Personally I'm a big fan of 7th Voyage by Crooked Dice.

It's really aimed at recreating the feel of old sword-and-sandal flicks with claymation monsters, like Sinbad & Jason & the Argonauts, so it doesn't have culture-specific army lists like Greeks, Persians, Celts, etc. etc., but it does have a lot of flexibility in unit and warband creation, and lots of monsters.

Rather than picking a faction, you're either heroic (with a couple of leader types like the champion or dashing rogue) or villainous (evil mastermind and vile tyrant), and various supporting unit types like brother-in-arms, "villain's right hand", etc. fill out your roster. Lots of monsters, too, so the mythology angle is pretty easy to replicate.

If adapting LOTR SBG, there are already historical lists for Romans, Celts, Germans, & Dacians (the latter three are all pretty similar), and a quasi-historical Greek list with some mythological elements. Add those to the wealth of profiles that already exist for that game and could be "counts-as" basically anything you want from mythology, and I'd say you're set to go.

One last game that I've never played, but also seems to fit your bill of ancient mythical skirmish poutpourri would be Broken Legions. It might veer a bit away from "mythical" into more modern conceptions of fantasy, though, as I believe there are vampires and werewolves and such. Anyways, maybe worth a look!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »
What about Crocodile Games WarGods rules?

Offline Shadowdragon

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »
Wargods is a mass combat game, I'm looking for a skirmish game of about a dozen or so miniatures per side.

What's with nearly every skirmish game having only one combat stat to use for all types of attack rolls? It's like the designers think that a marksman archer also needs to be an expert swordsman.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
What's with nearly every skirmish game having only one combat stat to use for all types of attack rolls? It's like the designers think that a marksman archer also needs to be an expert swordsman.

Yeah, that can be frustrating. I think, especially for ancient and mythical stuff, it has to do with emphasizing heroic combat, game mechanics emulating source material and all that. It's worth noting that LOTR SBG does separate those two out, and has a few good shooting skills for particularly good marksmen.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
I would also suggest Open Combat or Iron and Honor which is on the border between skirmish game and rpg lite.

The free playtest version of I&H which will give you an idea of how it works is here:
http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_and_Honor

The full version (not free) is available from the publishers here:
http://redturbanpress.com/iron-honor/

Will cope with small bands of up to a dozen figures.

Offline Shadowdragon

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:15:16 AM »
I would also suggest Open Combat or Iron and Honor which is on the border between skirmish game and rpg lite.

The free playtest version of I&H which will give you an idea of how it works is here:
http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_and_Honor

The full version (not free) is available from the publishers here:
http://redturbanpress.com/iron-honor/

Will cope with small bands of up to a dozen figures.

I would love to check out the playtest version of Iron and Honor, but it seems the pdf is damaged and refuses to open.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:17:37 AM by Shadowdragon »

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
The new version of Saga that's coming might be worth a look since they're adding official mythic stuff to the mix

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
Iron and Honor opened fine on my kindle. There are no pictures within the rules but all the text appears to be there. If you can't download at all, pm me with your email and I will forward a copy.
John

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
I would love to check out the playtest version of Iron and Honor, but it seems the pdf is damaged and refuses to open.

I just checked the link and the pdf opens without problem (you have to click the pdf file title on the subsequent page as the Freewargames site rightly does not allow direct hotlinking to the actual files).

As noted by JH the pictures illustrating LOS and such are not included (but they are only representations of the text anyway) everything you need to play including examples is there.