Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 11:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of Rome  (Read 26651 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gangs of Rome
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
Which rules are you using?

Broken Legions and OGAM.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »

+1. Any new, well produced, well marketed, historical miniatures game should be lauded. Think about the money and risk that goes into such a venture. Especially when it’s done with such thought and polish. It not only promotes history but enriches our hobby. My problem with Ganeshas version was always the lack of terrain, but now there will be a huge range of terrain available and figures without tedious hours of scratch building and conversions. I can’t imagine providing anything but applause for this project. Even if the rules aren’t to ones taste the materials being made available are a bonanza.

I think everyone agrees that the GoR rules do sound quite different from anything we are used to and at first, I thought it stunk of a money making scheme as well, but I now believe that this is merely an innovative game mechanic to spice things up.
No doubt gang warfare in Rome could already be done with a dozen commercially published rulesets but GoR seems to be trying something different and I don't think we should tear them down because of it. Before we go putting the cart before the horse and expel GoR, we should probably wait and see what it plays like when the rules are actually released and if the coins and card stats really do matter all that much.
I had my own conceptions of what a Roman gang game would be like and I admit they were different from what GoR are outlining, but what is stopping us from still doing what WE want to do, as those on LAF have always done. I don't think anyone is going to argue that the potential for the minis and terrain being produced for GoR will not be useful and welcomed for this genre.
I have already asked Footsore if the minis will be available to purchase without the coins, cards etc in a "traditional" manner and they were not dismissive at all, answering that it would be something they would certainly consider in the future.
What I'm trying to say is, it's not the spirit of LAF to shoot down anything, so lets give GoR a fair chance and embrace the prospect of some beautifully sculpted miniatures, in the least.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
I do hope for some more in non-action poses and less fancy outfits.

Speaking of which  :-*

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
Lovely  :-*

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
Nice minis!  :o 8)

As far as the rules are concerned I will wait until I read them to make any comments.
Let's just say that the BeastofWar video feature was not always to my liking...
;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
Speaking of which  :-*

Wonder what happened to the arm of the guy with the blue cloak

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »
Like them so far.   The fighting poses remind me of Foundry gladiators.  Same sculptor perhaps?   If I had to quibble I would say the women are showing too much leg.   Wouldn't gangs want to *not* attract attention?    But I am okay with a not-strictly-historical game.   Nothing wrong with a few dagger babes.

There certainly was a time during the late republican period when political, social, and criminal activity intersected.   What the typical 'foot soldier' of the collegia looked like, probably nobody knows exactly.   There are a few descriptions of fights which took place.       Look forward to seeing more civilians and resident foreigners.   Some easterners with sica perhaps...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Clodius_Pulcher#Tribunate

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but weaponry was not allowed within the walls of Rome.   Utility knives, cudgels and the like being exempt.   There was also a military police force of sorts which might intervene if things got out of hand.    Interesting to see how the game deals with this if at all.   Of course there was urban spillover and not all of Rome was contained within its walls.

Does seem cheeky to register the domain name and take the title which has been around for at least a few years.  But, I guess it was up for grabs wasn't it?    The ancient Roman power players would surely approve.   "Silent enim leges inter arma"   Cicero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegium_(ancient_Rome)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ancient_Roman_Collegia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohortes_urbanae

Scratch building and conversion--tedious to some, a labor of love for others :D

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

Cropping error.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »

Tis but a flesh wound.  lol

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2017, 01:33:46 AM »
White painted tunic on white background.

Cropping error.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2017, 02:52:59 AM »
I'm not too savvy with my Ancient Roman costume myself, so does anyone have any understanding of how late these figures could be used to? I was hoping
they could be used in a fall of Rome scenario in Arthurian Britain being chased about but a bunch of Saxons or Picts.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
I'm not too savvy with my Ancient Roman costume myself, so does anyone have any understanding of how late these figures could be used to? I was hoping
they could be used in a fall of Rome scenario in Arthurian Britain being chased about but a bunch of Saxons or Picts.
Should work fine, I think the biggest change style wise would be that they would be more likely to wear pants, in the north.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
Should work fine, I think the biggest change style wise would be that they would be more likely to wear pants, in the north.  :D

Good point, easy enough to sculpt or perhaps the Barbarians have sprung on them so quickly the poor Romans didn't have enough
time to put their pants on!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
Good point, easy enough to sculpt or perhaps the Barbarians have sprung on them so quickly the poor Romans didn't have enough
time to put their pants on!
Or it's the summer and who wants to be wearing paints in all that heat? It would also be easy enough to paint their bare legs like pants and maybe us putty to add leg cuffs at the end if you So inclined.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:36:29 AM by commissarmoody »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
I'm not too savvy with my Ancient Roman costume myself, so does anyone have any understanding of how late these figures could be used to? I was hoping they could be used in a fall of Rome scenario in Arthurian Britain being chased about but a bunch of Saxons or Picts.

To me they are perfectly fine to be used in later settings.
You could just paint their bare legs in fabric colours as Late Roman trousers were regularly tight-fitting, very much like leggings. Open-toed shoes should be remodelled then, of course.
The lack of long-sleeved tunics is more of an issue because their use was widespread. Actually, the older style of just a rectangular piece of fabric was already unfashionable in the Late Republic, mostly reserved for soldiers and other physical workers. All tunics were also worn short, i.e. either cut or ruffled above the belt. So the style depicted here covers too much of the legs. For males that is. ;)

Be aware, though, these are all assumptions based on pictorial and textual evidence, which is scarce anyway. Nothing set in stone. Also, it's Roman pulp after all.