Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Back of Beyond and Asia... inspiration and moral support needed...  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Back of Beyond and Asia... inspiration and moral support needed...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
At the moment I have 34 BH middle east brits painted (8 officers and NCO, 20 rifles and two HMG team one firing and one moving) plus 2 18pdr in tropical dress.

(planned expansion: one anzac sqaud from woodbine, on painting queque, 6 indian lancers from Brigade and one reinforced squad in wolsely helmets from woodbine) UK will be my main force. Tomorrow I will post (finally) some pictures (ok some of my BH are already here, but really poor pictures).

Maybe a squad of indian infantry; what manufacturer will you suggest?

Enemies:

Another 30 between BH and woodbine turks (black primed)  plus one german staffed krupp.

This is my base force. Now I am thinking to select a new adversary (evidently bolos) Have to carefully plan it, this year I am on restricted budget.

I am thinking with a similar Bolo force, Maybe ragged in appearance so I can used for local auxiliaries for my two armies.  Then I will love to add a small german forces (very small) and some chinese.

I am also planning for adding some light armor (one MkVI posing as a MkII Indian pattern for the english and maybe a Whipped, FT17 or MarkV for the bolo\everyone other; everything depend on prices my allowance...) The bolo will also do some really good enemies for my japanese... maybe I will add also some US Marines... but these are (far) forward planning for now.

the back ground is in preparation.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
If you paint the Bolsheviks in cap (round or furry) and with basically no insignia (perhaps a red star on the cap) then they can be used as almost any ex-Russian area. That means they can be the base for Georgians (who briefly had German allies) or Armenians (who were allied to the Brits in Baku) or the Reds themselves. Even white Russian ragged Cossacks (such as Semenov or Ungern). Only the officer and any standard bearer need distinguish them.

It is an incredibly versatile unit. I have used the 15mm equivalent as Latvians, Estonians, Poles, Belorussian partisans and early Red Guard. Some day I want to use them as Armenians and fight the Turkish-Armenian battles.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
At the moment I have 34 BH middle east brits painted (8 officers and NCO, 20 rifles and two HMG team one firing and one moving) plus 2 18pdr in tropical dress.

(planned expansion: one anzac sqaud from woodbine, on painting queque, 6 indian lancers from Brigade and one reinforced squad in wolsely helmets from woodbine) UK will be my main force. Tomorrow I will post (finally) some pictures (ok some of my BH are already here, but really poor pictures).

Enemies:

Another 30 between BH and woodbine turks (black primed)  plus one german staffed krupp.

This is my base force. Now I am thinking to select a new adversary (evidently bolos) Have to carefully plan it, this year I am on restricted budget.

I am thinking with a similar Bolo force, Maybe ragged in appearance so I can used for local auxiliaries for my two armies.  Then I will love to add a small german forces (very small) and some chinese.

I am also planning for adding some light armor (one MkVI posing as a MkII Indian pattern for the english and maybe a Whipped, FT17 or MarkV for the bolo\everyone other; everything depend on prices my allowance...) The bolo will also do some really good enemies for my japanese... maybe I will add also some US Marines... but these are (far) forward planning for now.

the back ground is in preparation.

best would be: Brigade games and Copplestone [I cannot say anything about Woodbine - since I do not have any of them, yet]
They have all the types you need, Brits, Indians- Sikhs, muslims and Ghurkas-, Turks and germans. [Note: some Copplestones might be larger than the Brigade or BH ones]. Brigade do also some german Asien Korps incl. HMG, Lewis and crew with gun. Brigade has Brit and Indian Cavalry,too. BTW Eureka has also Indian pioneers!! 

For the bolsheviks you want: Copplestone (obviously)
argsilverson

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
as promsied (and my picture skills are not improved from the last time... maybe it is time to change the camera  >:(  )

The vanguard of Expeditionary Force T; one battery of 18pdr, a command section, a Vickers  HMG section,  and two infantry units.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
Nice force you have there.

Since you already have Brigade figures and Woodbine are of a similar size, I would suggest going for Brigade Indians from their WW1 in Africa range. As well as infantry, this range includes a very nice Sikh mountain gun set, complete with mule team carrying a 'packed' gun as well as a deployed gun - essential for BoB.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge