Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74017 times)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
I'm glad if I could help. I do have a very large number of photos and information on the belligerent units of both sides.
Wyrmalla, you do not take into account one moment. The region in which hostilities are taking place is one of the most industrialized in the former USSR. There are a large number of factories and coal mines, and the majority of the population has the appropriate technical skills. For the game is more suitable terraine like Stalingrad (factories and workers' settlements around).
Outside the cities, the relief is flat, treeless steppe, intersected by artificial forest belts to protect against winds.

Photo with different ideas for terrane: https://yadi.sk/d/s0miTI6Y3PSWqN

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »
My terrain set at the moment's based on buildings found in Chernobyl. I don't see myself making an industrial area, as I've already committed to a winter one for my WWII stuff and don't want to waste resources. Rather what I have suits either a marsh area, or a village - which I'm sure crop up all over the former U.S.S.R.

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
Quite the project going on here, congrats!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »
I know I've seen those street barricades with the wrecked cars before, but I still geek out over them like it's the first time.  Such great execution on those.  ;D

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
What mine? Last time I posted them was ages ago like this:

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 02:10:48 AM »
Amazing stuff here.
I should be painting right now.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »
Hmmm they may not be the very same ones, but you posted something similar in an old thread. Either way, awesome stuff.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
And we're back. Something, something, playing too many computer games. ;)

Well here's what I've managed this past week and a half. A start on my National forces.

I'm going for squads of 6, with an RPK, PKM, RPG-7, and 2 UGLs. These're made from a mix of Empress, Eureka and Wargames Factory minis. I'm mostly setting them apart from the other forces by giving these guys American heads and some European camo (mostly) DPM), rather than mostly Soviet camo on the Seperatists (these have plenty on them too). The surplus desert gear also helps.
One squad down, 3 more to go. :)

Here's the Hilux technical as well. Its not 100% based on that picture from earlier (that wasn't even a Hilux), but close enough.

This one's made by Antenocitis Workshop, who're expanding their modern range and planning on including some more technicals. As with the WIP picture I just slapped some armour on it, and another of those Wargames Factory soldiers on the back. Unfortunately its not the same scale as my other vehicles, coming in closer to 1/43rd than 1/50th (though I've seen worse). I'd say the Spectre MIniature's Hilux is probably more appropriate, but I'm committed now (a second one's sitting waiting to be turned into something or other).

This one may be a bit incongruous. A ZiS-151 which managed to power on for a good few decades after the War to be converted into a cargo vehicle or APC of some sort. Its based on a Tamiya Deuce and a Half (the fuel tanker variant), which hopefully isn't super obvious under the armour. Meh, I think it looks the part.

I scraped through and finished the MT-LB with ZU-23-2. Nothing too outragious with the camo or anything.

MT-LBs are great. Not really a combat vehicle of course, I just like how they look (the civilian conversion seen in the film Siberiade comes to mind; watching it growing up probably had an effect on my opinion of the thing). Hmn, I ought to buy the command variant of it from HLBS ...though justifying one of those showing up within a platoon sized game may be a bit much - unless its an objective. Hmn...

The three BMP-3s (...could have picked some better phrasing there) are done as well. These big green hulks have sat in the gloomful "almost done" state for ages now, till I just decided to give them a dry brush and liberal coat of mud, then call them well enough finished.

They're painted in a slight alternative on the usual tan scheme; substituting it for a light green. I'd seen some recce Tank Destroyer painted that way, though have no idea of the origins. Instead, well, let's just assume that they've either been repainted in the field, or the unit's based in some distant depot where they ran out of paint. :)

No markings on these for obvious reasons (no, not as I'm crap at painting). ;)

Oh, and the armoured jeep thing which I posted originally is in a sort of limbo state. I think its going to be relegated to being a survivor vehicle for zombie games or something. It has more of a Narco Tank, or Middle Eastern IED vehicle than what you'd see in Europe (especially now that I've added on slat armour). I'll not scrap it, rather its just not really fitting in with this current project much.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Nice, especially the BMP-3s. I have one still gathering dust (http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/bmp3-work-in-progress.html).

I was interested to hear about the size of the Antenocitis vehicles. Are they a lot bigger than the Spectre vehicles?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
They're too large. The maker caters to Infinity, so they're 32mm rather than 28mm. I just happened to have picked them up as they had posted them on a Facebook page and Spectre was out of stock of their's.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
The lastest additions are pretty good, don't beat yourself up.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Next up. ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Next up. ;)

good to see that those Saxon' s are being put to good use.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
There were Saxons in the Tankograd Yugoslavian forces book.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
@commissarmoody

Heh, that's from the initial delivery (they'd been sitting mothballed in a depot in England for decades). Initially they were deployed as combat vehicles, before being relegated to internal security or logistics purposes (mostly) I believe. The armour's just too thin (designed for anti-riot duties), and isn't rated to stop 12.7mm, so they were decommissioned by the British.

Here's my first pass on the Saxon from last night.

The angle of the front plate's too shallow, and the turret's a bit too tall, but other than that I think its looking decent enough. The scale's maybe a bit off as well, though calling it "roughly" 30mm works. Now for round two of the gap filling. :P

So as not to mess around with the original look of the vehicle I won't be going for an armour kit like the ones below (you can only have so many vehicles with slat armour before things begin to get silly):

Instead this style (with the stripped off external storage boxes) seems more appropriate.

The same artist who made the picture on the first page of this thread also has a few others. I'm thinking of making this Saxon an ambulance, as well to be honest they aren't really fit for much else.