Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures North American Farmhouse  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Perry Miniatures North American Farmhouse
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »
I was wondering if any of you have seen the "North American Farmhouse" on the Perry Miniatures webpage, here:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

It looks excellent, and from the blurb it seems to be scaled to 28mm (rather than 25mm), which means it will fit in with my Artizan and New Foundry miniatures without a problem, hopefully. Quite apart from looking nice, it's also got 66cm of fencing (that's 2 feet of fencing!) and some nice accessories like a chair for the stoop. I've seen it priced at $20 dollars on a couple of websites, which seems like a great deal to me.

Does anybody have it yet? It looks nicely sculpted, and while the pictures of the sprues don't suggest that there's any interior detail, the sculpting on the exterior detail looks fantastic.

I'm tempted to get it - there are a couple of Old West minis from Foundry and from Artizan that I've been meaning to pick up, and I can get them all from the same site. If I do, I'll post up a review as soon as I get it and put it together!

Any thoughts on it from the rest of you?
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
Re: Perry Miniatures North American Farmhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »
Since moving into 40mm old west, I have no immediate plans to buy any 28mm buildings.  Though I still have ideas for my 28mm stuff.  That building is tempting me to change.  At least to take it, board up the windows, and use it as an abandoned farm stead.  It is so cool and you can't beat the price.

JOey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »
Hi Joey,

That's what I was thinking - it's a really good price for such a nice building, and with all that fencing, it becomes even more useful.

I doubt I'll be able to stop myself ordering one for much longer!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
I have it and it looks extremely nice, although I haven't assembled and painted it yet.
However, it is TINY compared with most 28mm buildings. It looks more like 20mm than 25mm, never mind 28mm. There again, it's only supposed to be a shack, so maybe it's allowable. All I can say is that I have several buildings from the Grand Manner Americas range (log cabins and such) and the Perry model is approximately half the size of the corresponding items.
But it's a beautiful little kit.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »
Captain Blood, on a side note, how would the Grand Manner items compare to 40mm?  I've been eying stuff in their ACW range. Thanks.

Joey

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:28 PM »
That's a pity, Captain Blood. How does it scale up with a 28mm model, though? Does the model look like a giant when it's standing on the porch, or do the proportions look right? I don't mind a building being small (particularly one as nice-looking as this one!), but if the scale is small and it looks like it's been made for dwarves, then that's something else. It looks so nice, though!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
Since moving into 40mm old west, I have no immediate plans to buy any 28mm buildings.  Though I still have ideas for my 28mm stuff.  That building is tempting me to change.  At least to take it, board up the windows, and use it as an abandoned farm stead.  It is so cool and you can't beat the price.

JOey

Really interesting. Do you know some good manufactorers for 40mm buildings? Looking for japanese, old west and www2-stuff...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »
I was looking at the kit at Salute and agree with Captian Blood it is very small. Not sure how it will measure up with a figure in front of it. But that was the first impression that my friends had when it was pointed out to them at the show. :?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
I was looking at the kit at Salute and agree with Captian Blood it is very small. Not sure how it will measure up with a figure in front of it. But that was the first impression that my friends had when it was pointed out to them at the show. :?

Seems a little odd. You would think such perfectionists as the Perrys would have got the scale correct. It's a shame if it is small, as I was thinking of getting one.

Is that small for Perry figures? I dread to think how it looks with Redoubt ACW, then.  :(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »

It's a shame if it is small, as I was thinking of getting one.

You don't want one, remember you are saving up for other forthcoming miniatures ;) :D

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
Well, that's a shame - it's such a nice building!

Oh well, it's back to foamcore and craft sticks for me...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:28 PM »
Honestly not too sure since I don't have any 40mm figures, but the Grand Manner stuff certainly works okay with 'large 28's' - which are actually about 30mm - 32mm for the most part. So not too much of a leap to 40mm figures. My guess is that you'd get away with it, although perhaps the doorways might look a bit on the small side...

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 03:47:46 AM »
NurgleHH, to my immediate knowledge I do not know of any building manufacturers for 40mm.  Everything I do is scratchbuilt.  O scale train stuff is roughly in scale, but a little small.  That's the challenge of 40mm.

Joey

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »

It's a shame if it is small, as I was thinking of getting one.

lol I see you are getting the hang of marketing etc - you've obviously been watching The Apprentice!

You don't want one, remember you are saving up for other forthcoming miniatures ;) :D

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »
On the Perry's site, they state that the kit, loosely based on Meade's HQ at Gettysburg, is designed to 1/56 scale.  The original building, minus the verandah, is roughly only 24' X 15'.  In 1/56, that's around 5'' X 3'', not exactly the Hilton.  It probably looks out of scale with most metal figures because, basically, they are out of scale, with exaggerated proportions.  It would presumably look fine if you used it with their plastic minis which are closer in size to the real human form.

In case people are interested in the real Leister House, here's a link to some plans from the Library of Congress.  They'll also give you an idea what to do if you wish to add an interior and/or a barn.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=pphhsheet&fileName=pa/pa0000/pa0014/sheet/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=Lydia%20Leister%20House,%20Taneytown%20Road%20%26%20Meade%20Avenue,%20Gettysburg%20vicinity,%20Adams%20County,%20PA&displayType=1&maxCols=2&itemLink=r?pp/PPALL:@field(DOCID+@lit(PA0014))

Here's a shot of the real one with a figure standing on the verandah for comparison.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:31:14 AM by archangel1 »
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!