Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vehicles to use with Valiant figures?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline dexey

• Student
Vehicles to use with Valiant figures?
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
I've had several 20mm Valiant British and German WW2 figures in the cupboard for awhile.
I seem to recall that I put them away because I was confused about scale when I started wargaming three years ago and wasn't sure which vehicles would fit with them.

Any advice, please?

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Vehicles to use with Valiant figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »
I've found Westwinds 'Berlin or Bust' vehicles work well. They are really small by modern 28mm standards, being 'small' 1/60th and they actually look spot on with the Valiant figures.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »
A few of the smaller diecasts work well too and are cheap as chips if you want a lot of generic softskins. The Corgi "cameo collectables" Morris truck and the Bedford bus look great with the Valient figures painted in military colours. Look for the ones with the solid wheels rather than the later issue of spoked wheels. I bought a job lot of them off ebay and they worked out £1 each even after postage.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline dexey

• Student
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
Thank you both.
I sometimes use vehicles of around 1/60th with my 28mm figures and hadn't thought of the same for 20mm. Cheers.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »
Thank you both.
I sometimes use vehicles of around 1/60th with my 28mm figures and hadn't thought of the same for 20mm. Cheers.

The thing is, Valiant figures are not really "20mm".  For years 20mm was happily 1/76. Then 1/72 got more popular. A 5'9" man in 1/72 scale  should be 24mm tall to top of head, but the Valiant are around 26mm, which makes them much nearer 1/64. I actually bought the Valiant figures when they came out, and I like them a lot, although real life got in the way back then and I gave up gaming for a while.
If I was going to use them now, apart from the odd small diecast truck I would use plastic PSC 1/72 vehicles with them just because of the availability and low cost.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
The Valiant figures are huge, but they go OK with the Ready to Roll 1/72nd scale range (which are also huge compared to other 1/72nd scale stuff, let alone 1/76th).

I got a couple of of boxes when they came out and was so disappointed with their bizarre scale that I just slung them in the loft whilst thinking resentful thoughts. They did paint up nicely.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
The Valiant figures are huge, but they go OK with the Ready to Roll 1/72nd scale range (which are also huge compared to other 1/72nd scale stuff, let alone 1/76th).

I got a couple of of boxes when they came out and was so disappointed with their bizarre scale that I just slung them in the loft whilst thinking resentful thoughts. They did paint up nicely.

Haha It depends from which perspective you are looking from. The Valiant figures are not big, they are too small....they occupy a strange desolate no-wargamer's land....

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Hasegawa's vehicles are usually bigger than 1/72, might be worth looking at.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »
Hasegawa's vehicles are usually bigger than 1/72, might be worth looking at.

I have a Hasegawa US half track, that is bigger than other 1/72 M3s I have. I didn't realise it was across the whole range though, thanks for the hint zirrian.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
I have the hasegawa and I still think it looks too small against the valiant figures
I have a box of the US infantry that I have never built as they don't size up with any other stuff I have

Offline Tim

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »
I have a Hasegawa US half track, that is bigger than other 1/72 M3s I have. I didn't realise it was across the whole range though, thanks for the hint zirrian.

Actually, it's the Easy Eight Sherman that is a monster, I can't use it with my other Shermans.  More recent releases are well regarded in the 1/72 community.  Here's a list of Hasegawa kits from On The Way!  I don't find the US half track too large at all - it's big compared to Airfix's, but that's 76 versus 72.

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/kitlists/Hasegawa%20Kits.htm
--
Tim

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »
Actually, it's the Easy Eight Sherman that is a monster, I can't use it with my other Shermans.  More recent releases are well regarded in the 1/72 community.  Here's a list of Hasegawa kits from On The Way!  I don't find the US half track too large at all - it's big compared to Airfix's, but that's 76 versus 72.

That was a useful document Tim, thanks. I actually want the over scale E8 and the M3 Stuart now for my Valiant figs. I would take the E8 off your hands if you want to trade for something or sell?

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »

My two bases for comparison were the Easy Eight and the Stuart - both rather big.

Online pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
This is an Armourfast Cromwell of mine

If I had set it on a base it would be better but doesn't look too out of scale for gaming
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:09:36 PM by pauld »
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
Yep looks fine scalewise, nice to know thanks. I am one of the worst for agonizing over scale.