Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The last Remake of UFO (SHADO) Gaming: Figures to date, vehicles, etc.  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Always on my list, and I just acquired three Dinky Interceptors,
So its gonna be 28mm

Just messed around with some figures, mostly Heroclix, and I ordered the Crooked Dice relevant figs.

Not finished, some of the moon base girls need shirts and stuff
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
that Mobile and Skydiver, and moon base, and the UFO's are gonna be a problem in 28mm.....

Other than THAT, I'm rollin'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
As a massive UFO fan, and having started my own 28mm UFO project many years ago, I can tell you that Imaii (I think?) made Mobile model kits that are spot on for 28mm, just like a nearly perfectly scaled Skydiver (alas; just the Sky portion; the Diver part you'll need to scratchbuild). The Mobiles can still be found on Ebay for not too ridiculous prices, especially if you're content with already built models you can salvage.

Dinky Toys has a really nice Straker's car as well, although be prepared to leave one of your kidneys at the door, because they're dear! Your best bet would be a beat-up one that's beneath the collectors; with a bit of elbow grease, they can be made to shine again. It's how I got mine.

I've used Crooked Dice offerings for most of my minis btw. The not-Fembots, when relieved of their boob-guns are perfect as Moonbase girls. They have a not-Straker as well, and some astronaut types that are perfect renditions of the space suited aliens (one is even carrying an abductee over his shoulder).

For SHADO soldiers, I used their rifle armed henchmen, with headswaps, to add some more sideburns to the heads here and there, and some small modifications to the rifles to turn them into Sonic Weapons.

Other miniatures, such as Alec Freeman or the lady in red, I substituted with some miniatures from the Copplestone Kiss Kiss Bang Bang range and others, but I'm not nearly done recreating most of the important characters.

I really like your use of clicky miniatures; relatively inexpensive, and easily convertible and paintable; great choice :) The SHIELD agents in particular are a really good match as SHADO personnel, and I also really like the lady in the back row; she'd be perfect as Ed Straker's 'above ground' secretary. Care to divulge its Heroclix number or name?

As for the actual UFO's; Svennn here on the LAF once provided me with some blueprints for the typical UFO, but even though most of the model could easily be made with any sheet material, the transparent dome, which is such a prominent feature of the model, is the real problem here. I've yet to find the right size and curvature for one in 28mm. In case you don't have it yet, here's a link to the UFO blueprints.

Actually, it'll be planning mine to be on the smaller end of the scale, because when it's built to 'scale', it would probably measure about 50cm in diameter. Although in universe, it could have measured anywhere between 5 and 20 meters across; we never got to see any concrete references next to one.

I'll eventually be settling for a size of approximately 20cm or so. It'll be big, but not unwieldly so, and still be small enough to comfortably place on a gaming table and store.

But that dome... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain

I presume that push mould (heated clear plastic & a dome former)
is a non starter. In which case I think the two best options are:-
a) Look out for something that is the right size & shape. Plastic
    packaging, bathroom fittings, kitchen ware etc.
b) Contact a company that does Vacuum mouldings & get a price quote.
    Those kind of things get cheaper the more you order, so sell off the
    'surplus' to other UFO enthusiasts & recoup some/all of your outlay.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
That would be a way to go about it, yes.

But I've watched a lot of DIY vac-form videos on Youtube ever since I ran into that particular challenge...

So I think that's probably the route I'll eventually take (unless I run into the perfect clear plastic dome in the meantime of course).

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
As a massive UFO fan, and having started my own 28mm UFO project many years ago, I can tell you that Imaii (I think?) made Mobile model kits that are spot on for 28mm, just like a nearly perfectly scaled Skydiver (alas; just the Sky portion; the Diver part you'll need to scratchbuild). The Mobiles can still be found on Ebay for not too ridiculous prices, especially if you're content with already built models you can salvage.

Dinky Toys has a really nice Straker's car as well, although be prepared to leave one of your kidneys at the door, because they're dear! Your best bet would be a beat-up one that's beneath the collectors; with a bit of elbow grease, they can be made to shine again. It's how I got mine.

I've used Crooked Dice offerings for most of my minis btw. The not-Fembots, when relieved of their boob-guns are perfect as Moonbase girls. They have a not-Straker as well, and some astronaut types that are perfect renditions of the space suited aliens (one is even carrying an abductee over his shoulder).

For SHADO soldiers, I used their rifle armed henchmen, with headswaps, to add some more sideburns to the heads here and there, and some small modifications to the rifles to turn them into Sonic Weapons.

Other miniatures, such as Alec Freeman or the lady in red, I substituted with some miniatures from the Copplestone Kiss Kiss Bang Bang range and others, but I'm not nearly done recreating most of the important characters.

I really like your use of clicky miniatures; relatively inexpensive, and easily convertible and paintable; great choice :) The SHIELD agents in particular are a really good match as SHADO personnel, and I also really like the lady in the back row; she'd be perfect as Ed Straker's 'above ground' secretary. Care to divulge its Heroclix number or name?

As for the actual UFO's; Svennn here on the LAF once provided me with some blueprints for the typical UFO, but even though most of the model could easily be made with any sheet material, the transparent dome, which is such a prominent feature of the model, is the real problem here. I've yet to find the right size and curvature for one in 28mm. In case you don't have it yet, here's a link to the UFO blueprints.

Actually, it'll be planning mine to be on the smaller end of the scale, because when it's built to 'scale', it would probably measure about 50cm in diameter. Although in universe, it could have measured anywhere between 5 and 20 meters across; we never got to see any concrete references next to one.

I'll eventually be settling for a size of approximately 20cm or so. It'll be big, but not unwieldly so, and still be small enough to comfortably place on a gaming table and store.

Great stuff!  Thank you!  Yeah, the Imai is the way to go!

I'll list the Heroclix figs in a bit

The gal in the back is a Original Star Trek Nurse Chapel

The moon base. Now that will be a big build, but since I have the interceptors, gotta do it
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:43:37 AM by Smokeyrone »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
My thoughts:  get the feel of the tv show, BUT make it 2020.

- there are more alien types menacing Earth

-the moonbase, and whatever vehicles I don't buy because they are gonna rape me on price, are improved.  A exact moonbase is big, but has limited interior play area.  Better build a big, space hulk type base, for well..space hulk and other sci fi gaming.

- seems any apc, if or tank would be better than the mobiles.  And cheaper?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Scratchbuilding on the Demon Rum (a warning)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 04:07:48 AM »
Played a two hour tennis match in severe heat (I pulled it out, 6-1, 6-4) drinking only rum with Monsters.  Was out of my head and dehydrated. Then decided I could make a SHADO Sky 1 better than that 80 buck IMAI kit, I just needed more rum.

Went to sleep happy that I succeeded.

Woke up to this horror show...

Looks nothing like the Sky 1.

Beware of the demon rum! (Pilar in this case)

:(

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
A Sky-1 it is not, rum or no rum, but it would be perfect as a 40K Ork Fightabomba! :D
(btw: is that a chibby F5-E you used as a base?)

Trust me, when you scour Ebay, you can still pick up Imai kits on the cheap, you just have to be patient. I saw an unbuilt Mobile just yesterday going for just GBP14,-, so it's still possible to get the kits for reasonable prices.

In fact, now that I'm thinking of it, maybe I could part with my own Sky-1, since I won't be building a Skydiver anyway. I'll be focusing on three areas:

- Ground engagements, with a UFO, some aliens, a Mobile or two, and some civilians, with Straker, Foster and Freeman possibly in their cars too. 28mm.

- Moon surface engagements, possibly with a (partial) Moonbase, a UFO, aliens, Interceptors (probably as terrain/objectives only), and Moonbase personnel such as the girls, pilots and other security crew (in space suits), and maybe even a Moon Mobile or AAA-tank. 28mm.

- Space dogfight engagements, with UFO's, Interceptors, transports, SID and possibly a Sky-1. X-Wing rules and scale (I've got one Comet Miniatures Interceptor in metal for this, but I'll be needing at least two more, obviously).

So if you're interested, we could talk shop about the Sky-1 I have. Check out a picture in my own UFO thread. Just shoot me a PM...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:14:46 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Figure progress

Offline Viruz

• Scientist
    • The Metal Magic Forum is closed
Great Projekt,ich love it.  :-*
I too am a big UFO fan.

At the moment I am restoring old Dinky models again.
Even in a desolate state, they are not cheap on Ebay.
I also need paint stripper, spray paint and spare parts.
Some models are redesigned into "rare" versions.
An inexpensive hobby looks different. :'(

My old Projects:

From my Spacelords Diorama:
I buy old Spacelords Miniatures from Hobby Products !
- Cybertech, Bunkerbreaker, Yoyodyne, Sarday´kin, Phagon -

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
That is awesome

Offline Viruz

• Scientist
    • The Metal Magic Forum is closed
@ Smokeyrone
Thank you very much.  :D
At the moment I am waiting for a 2nd Ed Strakers Car and Spectrum Petrol Car from Russia.(Ebay)
I stripped the red FAB100 vehicle again. :?
It will be repainted,bicolour,if I can manage ?  ???

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
My mistake, sorry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:56:22 AM by blacksmith »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
@ Smokeyrone
Thank you very much.  :D
At the moment I am waiting for a 2nd Ed Strakers Car and Spectrum Petrol Car from Russia.(Ebay)
I stripped the red FAB100 vehicle again. :?
It will be repainted,bicolour,if I can manage ?  ???

Saw some Straker style cars yesterday at Corvette Museum