Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Home made tufts with home made static grass applicator  (Read 3219 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Home made tufts with home made static grass applicator
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
Haven't tried it, but suspect any sort of sifting device (even a piece of paper bent into a "V") would work, when paired with an inflatable balloon.

Inflate the latter, rub on clothing, carpeting, or fabric covered furniture to charge the balloon's surface, and then slowly and carefully lower above the static grass sprinkled onto small blobs of white glue, in order to get them to stand up.

The trick is getting the appropriate height so as to attract the grass to get it to stand up, without getting it too close to cause the little fibers to leap through the air onto the balloon's surface.

I suspect if that occurs, you can just wash them off, let dry, and then try again.

I had the exact same idea a couple of weeks back already. The problem I encountered was that the grass is indeed attracted to the balloon, and even stands on end quite well, but it avoids, in clear-cut circles even, the places where you put glue on the surface of the balloon. By all means try it for yourself, who knows there might be some variable that fixes this!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »
Crop circles!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »
:D

The one I made is pretty much the same as by EtS.

I used it for the Vietnam/The North terrain and the grass does stand. It was a matter of applying runny PVA then using the device to scatter directly onto the tile. A decidedly dodgy and nerve-wracking experience as occasionally the contacts would inadvertently contact.

TBH I think I only made 1 clump with it as I like the mix I buy and time was better spent etc. I will use it again on the larger areas when I make more grassy terrain tiles.

A few layers of waxed paper that completely cover the tray should be enough insulation prevent those bzort moments. Really, anything that can insulate between the two electrodes.

If you need more pull to get the fibers to stand on end, you can replace the in-handle batteries with a D cell battery pack and a little electronics work.