Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 53612 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 24/02 - Dreadfort Cavalry Test)
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Suitably dastardly looking Bolton’s - well done on embracing the pink, it works well, and the banner looks great.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again everyone! Thanks for the feedback about the Dreadfort cavalry!

I've finished off the rest of the unit, with the same Pink-and-axes direction so they're ready to go cause trouble!

A lot of pink livery and fur collars! With Ramsay leading the force of horse (of course)

I hope they've come out ok and look the part for Ramsay's gang of extremely unpleasant followers!

Also, I hope my attempt at painting horses has gone successfully! I'm not too experience with them so any feedback there is welcome too!

I've also been inspired by @Ogrob's GoT project to pick up some of the Claymore Castings infantry, but I've hit a problem where I like the sculpts and poses so much I'm indecisive about which house to put them in! Whoops!

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
"...but I've hit a problem where I like the sculpts and poses so much I'm indecisive about which house to put them in! Whoops!"

The kitbasher's dilemma!

Congratulations on another completed unit! Bravo!! To paraphrase my grad school motto about thesis writing: "The best project is a completed project."
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Good looking unit, real rough but professional look which I think is great for Bolton.

Looking forward to seeing what you settle for with the Claymore models. Have you seen the english archers they previewed on Facebook?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Have you seen the english archers they previewed on Facebook?

I hadn't seen them before! Thanks for the heads up! Definitely liking the looking of them, would make some excellent Freys methinks!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Good looking unit, real rough but professional look which I think is great for Bolton.

Agree completely - really look the part.

:)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
So my order from Claymore Castings arrived, and whoops! The indecision hit hard. Some of them were fairly easy to plan paint-schemes for certain houses. But I've gotten very attached to the French double-handed weapon infantry! "Do I want to make such nice models Boltons, or Freys?"

King Stannis may get a few more halberdiers if I get too indecisive! Yellow/black is a suitably generic colour scheme!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Freys!
(The only trouble being, of course, that the Freys are a bit rubbish  lol)

I like the snowy bases on your Bolton cavalry.

Time I got on with my Lannister cavalry from the Perry HYW set  :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Freys!
(The only trouble being, of course, that the Freys are a bit rubbish  lol)

My thoughts exactly - probably suit Frey’s better, but it’s a shame to use such lovely figures on them.

Time I got on with my Lannister cavalry from the Perry HYW set  :)

Yes it is...we are all waiting for another dose of inspiration...

;) :D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again! I've got another update but...not with the Claymore Castings minis yet!

Before I got to work on those, I wanted to get a couple more named characters done first!

So starting up, I've made me an Arnolf Karstark, the extremely loyal and not at all treacherous castellan of Karhold!

Choosing a figure to be ol' Arnolf was actually quite difficult, but eventually I settled on a Perry peasant of all things. This one in particular, with a haircut, a beard, and a heap of green-stuff to make him look a bit less scruffy.

To go with Arnolf, I've got a few retainers (or sons/grandsons/cousins/etc.) from Karhold to accompany him, and to practice freehanding the sunburst.

And also a standard bearer, to add to the many faces of the Karstark sun: Annoyed, Confused and Worried!

Here's the gang all together

And a side shot to (hopefully) show that the retainers have sigils on their surcoats, and Arnolf has a big grey cloak.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Well done on the Karstarks, especially the freehand...I fear my own attempt would look more like an emoji.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks! I'm still trying to work up the nerve to attempt the Umber one!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Those Karstarks are great! Just like Akula I feel very much inspired! I may restart my Westeros project with Karstarks.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 15/03 - House Karstark Archers)
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Hello again! Another Karstark update!

I've decided to do my first few Claymore lads as Karstark archers, with furry collars, as a sort of Household guard for Castellan Arnolf. They're going to represent the garrison archers from Karhold itself, so they look a bit neater than the common-or-garden infantry, seeing as they've come straight from the Karstark seat.

They've all got heraldic surcoats as a sort of 'uniform,' with the house badge on, in a WotR sort of style. So lots of little sunbursts!

And here's Arnolf Karstark together with his household guards and retainers.

Hopefully these lads have come out ok!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 15/03 - House Karstark Archers)
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
Lovely work - the surcoats make them pop

:)