Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures (Jan 2018 – Paladin and Bugbear)  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
The Umber Hulk is the iconic Dungeons & Dragons monster, a powerful tunnelling beast with the power to confuse anyone who sees all four of its eyes at once.  This confusion is a form of psychic hypnosis, rather than puzzlement over the fact it has eyes in its nostrils, and what might happen when it sneezes.

“Feckin’ peg it!” squeed Ploppin the Halfling.

Such a colourful shot!  The red and blue lights echo the garish paint choices this Umber Hulk’s previous owner made.  This miniature was a snip at £3 from the Oldhammer Trading Company and I celebrated by taking it to the pub that evening.

The lovable four-eyed spongmonster at the pub.
Also pictured: a Grenadier Umber Hulk.

He came missing a finger-claw, which I replaced with brass wire and putty. I also carved him new mandibles from some random Games Workshop plastic bits.

jazz hands /dʒaz handz/ noun: …

The miniature has been released by Grenadier both with and without the mandibles.  In the original catalogue, the photographer completely misinterpreted the mandibles as unicorn bits.

Grenadier held the licence for Dungeons & Dragons miniatures 1980–1982, but released all sorts of suitable figures both before and afterwards.  This is not actually an official Umber Hulk but an “Umberbulk”.  It is still in production nowadays (without mandibles), via Mirliton.

Original the Monster.  Do not steal.

The 1st edition Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual states “Umber Hulks are black, shading to yellowish gray on the front.  Their head is gray on top, and the mandibles are ivory coloured.”  But I did mine a burnt umber colour as I got hung up on the name “Umber Hulk”.  In my defence the picture of them in the Monster Manual illustration is black and white.
Umber Hulks and Rogue Trader Ambulls

When writing Rogue Trader, Games Workshop anticipated players would want to use their existing figure collections, and so they slipped in a lot of the iconic Dungeons & Dragons monsters as thinly-disguised aliens.  Blink Dogs became “Astral Hounds”, Beholders became “Enslavers”, Umber Hulks became “Ambulls” and so on.

Mighty Squat Hero Warmaster Gorun fighting an Umbe…Ambull, with support from the Reckoners Space Marine chapter.

The Ambull did eventually get its own model.

Interestingly, having been ported into space, they got put ported back into their native fantasy setting in the form of White Dwarf 108’s Terror in the Darkness scenario for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, where the adventurers head into a mine only to encounter Ambulls.

That’s it for today!  I’ll leave you with this photo that was meant to show the detail on the top of the head, but his pose looked like it was inviting tickles.

Cudgy cudgy coo cooo. Cudgy cudgy coo cooo.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:51:07 PM by Curis »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Curis' Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
Ow, that's a bit nice, that Umber Hulk. great choice of colours and some wel executed highlighting. Love it ( got it myself with 1 missing mandible too, like your solution of just cutting up 2 pieces rather than pressmould one, as I originally intended ).
Leadhead

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
Lovely restoration on a classic dungeon beastie.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
That's a very cool model and a bloody lovely paintjob.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »
Absolutely superb - and just the inspiration I need to get my old Citadel umber hulk based up!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »
Brilliant

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
That's a great paint job on a great-looking beastie.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:48:31 AM »
Very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more in this thread.  :)

Offline Arkiegamer

• Student
  • Tim
    • Arkiegamer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
Beautiful painting and photography!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
I love the atmospheric lighting of these scenes.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »
Thanks for all the comment!  Hobgoblin – which of the varients of Citadel Umber Hulk do you have?

Every year the Curis Christmas list (or "Curistmas list") features swathes of miniatures suggestions. Family assume I'm no longer a teenage nerd (haha!  half true!) and that I can't possibly still want tiny toy soldiers.  However, me and a group of miniature-loving friends arranged a Secret Santa so there was a teenage nerd present under the tree on 25th December.

ADD6 Paladin and Gobslob the Bugbear from Citadel Miniatures.

The Dungeons & Dragons Paladin was gifted (thank you anonymous Santa) on the condition it was painted before the day the festive surfeit of Baileys was finished.  I painted him alongside the Bugbear as that's the first of the monsters needed to run the Lost Mine of Phandelver scenario from the 5E D&D starter set.

This Paladin is such a thin miniature, he's almost a Paper Mario character.

Everything on the Paladin is a sculpted texture.  All the armour panels are festooned in splodgy texture.  The cloak is splodgy fur texture on one side and splodgy abstract tree texture on the other.   It makes his overall form difficult to read as it's a mound of details akin to a Michael Bay Transformer design.  On the plus side it does make him gloriously quick to paint, and I could spend a load of time on the only smooth surface – the plastic shield.  I painted a rampant griffon design, hinting he's a distant relation of Lord Weuere in my Norman army.

Drool-worthy painting?

"Gobslob" is the Bugbear from Citadel Miniatures' 1983 Dungeon Monster starter set.  With a name like that he had to have a big bit of drool hanging out of his mouth.  It's made by melting blister pack into transparent stringy goo with a soldering iron, then dribbling contact adhesive down it.  Though I assumed the glue would remain clear when dry, it went a cloudy green colour.  I've decided to run with this and say Gobslob has an excessively bacterial mouth.

Sir Griffiths du Filigrann lost in a mine, somewhere in Phandalin.

Congratulations to Asslessman and Rochie for getting their Secret Santa miniatures painted and blogged too.  Now on to paint more of the monsters needed to run Lost Mine of Phandelver.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Thanks for all the comment!  Hobgoblin – which of the varients of Citadel Umber Hulk do you have?

I've got "head variant A" - the one without a protruding mouth or antlered tusks. I've crudely drybrushed the body and am musing over what shade to go for with the tusks; I really like your green and may attempt to mimic it, but the Citadel one also has something slightly more mammalian about it, which may nudge me back to ivory ...

Great job on those two! The bugbear's a great figure, and he look splendid with his drool, but turning out that rather rococo paladin so well is a tremendous feat!

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: Curis' Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures (Jan 2018 – Paladin and Bugbear)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
Love the hanging drool! And the rest of the figures are great too. Keep up the good work!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
That bugbear is great. I have such affection for those rowdy boys, whatever form they appear in.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
Gobslob is awesome and the green works much better than a clear look i'd say. Very nice.