Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Outremer: Faith and Blood - New blog  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
Outremer: Faith and Blood - New blog
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Hi all;

Most of you are probably aware from earlier posts that I am the author of Outremer: Faith and Blood; a new set of crusade era Skirmish rules that’s being published by Osprey in April. Anyway with publication getting closer I have started a dedicated blog where I can keep in contact with players; release updates and extra content!

https://outremerfaithandblood.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Please feel free to have a look and drop me a comment!

Cheers

J
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Re: Outremer: Faith and Blood - New blog
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
Hi, still hoping to see more about the rules, perhaps get in touch on wayne.bollands@wargamesillustrated.net?
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
Email sent mate

Offline Ephrael

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:57:50 PM »
This game looks pretty interesting to me and is set in my favorite historical period. I’ll be following with interest.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
Thanks mate. Yeah the Crusades have always been my favourite period too, I just can’t get enough of them. I’m re-reading Robyn Young’s Brethren trilogy at the moment which are set during this time... highly recommended!

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Sounds very interesting. With a game centered on the Crusades I am somewhat surprised there is only one Moslem faction, since the Seljuks and Fatamids had very different fighting styles. It would also be intesting to see a Byzantine faction.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
The size of the book is limited in order to fit in with the standard Osprey Format so as an author I had to make sure the manuscript fitted within the requisite space.

That being said at the warband/individual level of combat  a man with a sword and armour will to a greater or lesser extent fight in a similar manner to another man likewise equipped from an entirely different army; especially when abstracted down to the 28mm Level.

Samurai; Knights and Legionaries when engaged in melee would have all had the same basic pattern of fighting... to bypass their enemy’s armour and cause death or debilitation. The same is true of modern warfare; at the individual level a British Infantryman and his counterparts across the globe will operate in a similar fashion... shooting the enemy at range; close the ground utilising cover and surpression fire and then if necessary engage and kill them with a bayonet. It’s only when we reach company level and above there is sufficient variation in tactics and SOPs for a noticeable difference (obviously basic training and discipline at lower formation level in different forces will be variable).

Have no fear though my plan is to filter out additional material on the Blog to expand players options and forces... and I do love a Byzantine. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:30:23 PM by Legiocustodes »

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
Just kind of curious with regard to this, what is the listed basing situation.

Pics on the blog make it look like normal troops are 25mm rounds if I'm judging right.

Are mounted characters and such included in the ruleset, and are they on the round or cavalry bases? Meaning the oval bases or the 40mm round there

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »
Hello mate; Good question.

I have test played it with 25mm Round bases for infantry and 40mm Round bases for cavalry. However that being said there is a degree of flexibility. So 25mm square bases for infantry would work fine, and oval bases (or even 25mm by 50mm rectangular bases) for cavalry would work.

As an aside I have put a second post on the new blog looking at Crusader warbands.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:22 AM »
Hello mate; Good question.

I have test played it with 25mm Round bases for infantry and 40mm Round bases for cavalry. However that being said there is a degree of flexibility. So 25mm square bases for infantry would work fine, and oval bases (or even 25mm by 50mm rectangular bases) for cavalry would work.

As an aside I have put a second post on the new blog looking at Crusader warbands.

As a major suggestion, pick one for use.

My local store had enough trouble dealing with people basing for advantage with Ronin and a few other games that don't specify...especially if facing isn't a thing with free rotation.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »
I have included guidance in the book which is 25mm (round or square) for infantry and 40mm round or 25mm-by-50mm rectangular for cavalry.

However I understand some players will want to  use models from their collections that they have already based for other systems so when I play I personally allow a degree of flexibility for my opponents.

To be honest if I was playing against someone who specifically based their models on obscure 52mm dodecahedron bases just to get a slight advantage I probably wouldn’t play them again.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »
Been a principle that's stood me in good stead for half a centuries wargaming...

I'd sooner cheat and lose...

Than play fair and win!

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
Been a principle that's stood me in good stead for half a centuries wargaming...

I'd sooner cheat and lose...

Than play fair and win!

;D

Haha! I might adopt this as my motto for work!!

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:01 PM »
I've done a fresh post on this Blog looking at Saracen warbands within the game!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 05:13:27 PM »
I've done a fresh post on this Blog looking at Saracen warbands within the game!
Rinkydinkylinky?