Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:07:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warmaster terrain - on a budget. New pics "Grenzdorf" finished  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Warmaster terrain - on a budget. New pics "Grenzdorf" finished
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »
Usually I don't make New Year's resolutions, but this year was an exception and I promised (myself) to finish (and perhaps sell) more or less all my unfinished projects. There are some ...

One of these is my Warmaster project, started some years ago when I was able to get two painted Warmaster armies, Empire and Undead, for reasonable prices on Ebay. The rules system seemed to be quite interesting and I'd like to give it a try as it has some things in common with Hail Caesar rules.

No tabletop game without some terrain pieces, and when checking my options, I decided to try N-scale railroad plastic kits scaling to 1/160 which is roughly 10-12mm figure-wise, and to look for some nice paperwork-buildings which could be scaled to my liking. I also bought three of the Forgeworld Warmaster buildings but was very disappointed as those are much too small, suitable for 6 mm figures if at all. The problem with N-scale kits is that they are correctly scaled, meaning there is no reduction in height as with most of our miniatures. On a model-show I bought three N-scale kits on a clearance and started to convert one to a more fantasy looking building using parts from two kits and a few bits:

As you see I didn't use the white plastic fillers but created the timber-framed walls with balsa strips and a filler/sand mixture. On the tower corners four 6mm-fantasy figures were added as statues and three support walls from another kit where glued to the walls. Here the other kits (didn't use the second large kit at all) and some more pics:

THe building was left at this state and I tried some paper buildings. Where to get them? Essentially it's very easy searching the net for "scale buildings downloads" or "free pdf card model buildings" etc. Give it a try, there is a treasure trove for free. After downloading the only thing to do is scaling the plans down (or up) to roughly 10mm scale using a simple graphics software and using a door as some kind of measuring point. I printed them on my inkjet printer using 180g/sq m paper, cut them out with a scalpel and glued them together with white glue. Here are some of my samples:

All models were reinforced with thick card pieces from the inside or foamboard pieces. I added some details like chimneys and on one building the timberwork was repeated using glued-on coloured wood strips to enhance a 3-D effect.

That was the state of affairs for a couple of years, and everything went into a box and disappeared inside my cabinet. Other projects or real life things came in between ... Until a couple of days ago, when I restarted the project and painted the "Grenzdorf" tower/church followed by some weathering:

Next a base was cut from 3mm hardboard, and as I wanted to store that terrain in a A4-plastic container, it must be smaller than A4. On top of that a cobblestone street will be simulated using a piece of a small scale printed foamsheet I had laying around for quite some time; don't know where I got it from ... The board will then be painted a dark brown as kind of undercoat, the cobblestone a greyish tone using drybrushing. That's the "Grenzdorf" model today:

I'll add some greenery, trees, the little walls, maybe some detail pieces ...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:40:56 PM by Admiral Benbow »

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
Well done.  That tower church looks seamless - you have a good eye for kitbashing, and finishing off the bases is really going to make that terrain look gorgeous.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
Really impressive, but of course I must ask for close-ups of the miniatures.   :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »
Always good to see more 10mm stuff.

I thought the photos of the church at the top of the post were good - but seeing the finished painted one, it looks awesome.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
oooo this looks liek it's gonna be good! :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
Those n guage plastic buildings would be wonderful for a 10mm Mordheim.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Impressive results, especially that church.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
My goodness. This just made me remember that I've got a N scale model railway with lots of buildings at my parents'. Splendid for Warmaster, but would likely work for 15mm too.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
you have a good eye for kitbashing
The good Admiral is the text book example of kit basher. :D

Very nice, Michael! Looking forward to see what you're doing with the remaining kits.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
The good Admiral is the text book example of kit basher. :D
Very nice, Michael! Looking forward to see what you're doing with the remaining kits.

Don't think about working on more buildings from the N-scale kits, more likely I'll gonna sell them.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget: base prepared
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
Progress made. The base was cut and painted dark brown, church and small walls glued on and the cobblestone pavement cut, fixed and painted. Next step the green stuff.

This is going to be a real little fun project and I get more and more doubts about selling it ...  8)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget. New pics 20.01.2018
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Enjoying watching this progress.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget. New pics 20.01.2018
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
I always love your terrain projects Admiral! :-*

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget. "Grenzdorf" finished
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
First base with "Grenzdorf" finished using different sorts of fine, medium and coarse turfs from Woodland Scenics and others. I also had some sad looking (but once very cheap ...) trees in my boxes, prepped them up a bit and gave them a new home here. In a couple of weeks I'll attend the Tactica show in Hamburg and will have a look for some tiny scale bits like barrels and boxes, perhaps a cart or two ...  8)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Re: Warmaster terrain - on a budget. New pics "Grenzdorf" finished
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »
Beautiful as well as providing a nice piece of real estate for your tiny hordes to tussle over.