Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampart as Small Skirmish  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
Dragon Rampart as Small Skirmish
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »
Do people play Dragon Rampart with small numbers of figures? The book says something about no more than 60 figures per side which, to me, is not skirmish.

What options does it offer?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Dragon Rampart as Small Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
It's the most 'open' set of Fantasy rules you can get. The standard size unit is 12 foot (6 elite foot) or 6 horse, but you can create 'reduced model units' so one hero can fight like a whole unit of horse or foot. Monsters can be individual giant creatures or small units of 2 or 3 with multiple hit points each. There are no army lists so you can do what you want and create your own back story. There are loads of 'fantastical upgrades' to customise your units to whatever your back-story is for the fantasy races in your armies.

So if you wanted to have standard 24pt forces (which, for Elves typically might be 2 lots of 6 elite foot, 1 unit of 12 spearmen and 1 unit of archers) but with fewer models, you could have both your elite foot units as single heroes (each with 6 wounds/hit points), with the spearmen and archer unit reduced to 6 models (each with 2 wounds/hit points ). That'd give you 14 models. It'd work fine and would mean that you could use a smaller table too! You'd just need a hit point marker for each unit.

My favourite set of Fantasy rules ever, as it can work with much bigger armies, can contain wizards and (non-game winning) magic too and you can use any models you like! I play Warhammer-esque (as in WFB races/peoples) games with it currently, using 'Oldhammer' models, but there's way more to its scope than that...

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »
It's the most 'open' set of Fantasy rules you can get. The standard size unit is 12 foot (6 elite foot) or 6 horse, but you can create 'reduced model units' so one hero can fight like a whole unit of horse or foot. Monsters can be individual giant creatures or small units of 2 or 3 with multiple hit points each. There are no army lists so you can do what you want and create your own back story. There are loads of 'fantastical upgrades' to customise your units to whatever your back-story is for the fantasy races in your armies.

So if you wanted to have standard 24pt forces (which, for Elves typically might be 2 lots of 6 elite foot, 1 unit of 12 spearmen and 1 unit of archers) but with fewer models, you could have both your elite foot units as single heroes (each with 6 wounds/hit points), with the spearmen and archer unit reduced to 6 models (each with 2 wounds/hit points ). That'd give you 14 models. It'd work fine and would mean that you could use a smaller table too! You'd just need a hit point marker for each unit.

My favourite set of Fantasy rules ever, as it can work with much bigger armies, can contain wizards and (non-game winning) magic too and you can use any models you like! I play Warhammer-esque (as in WFB races/peoples) games with it currently, using 'Oldhammer' models, but there's way more to its scope than that...

That's excellent. Going to dive in and play around.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
It's definitely a great set of rules - really quick to get a game to table, too.

You can play it entirely with single-model units (so you could have 24 points in three or four models). The only problem then is that the game doesn't have the climbing/running/leaping/ducking rules that you get in a really small-scale skirmish game. But for anything between 10 and 100 figures, it's great.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:35:21 AM »
Do people play Dragon Rampart with small numbers of figures? The book says something about no more than 60 figures per side which, to me, is not skirmish.

What options does it offer?

Absolutely.  Think of the strength points as de facto hit points.  Lowly goblins might be one figure per strength point, elves may be one figure for every 2 or 3 strength points.  A hero may be a single figure elite unit with effectively 6 hit points. 

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
I just picked up the rules, happy to read the nice reviews
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka