Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A small skirmish on the NWF  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: A small skirmish on the NWF
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Threw me with the first image of the red British buildings - rather weird, I thought - until I looked closer and realized you'd colorized things.  And a good thing, too, because I didn't care for the 'river' in that same image!   :D

What you don't like the traditionally red colored Pathan village called "British" and the local straight as an arrow river called "Pathan"? I don't think you know you're NWF Sir!  :P

Clearly, the scenario (from the rules) was inspired by a certain well known movie.

Yes, the actual scenario is from Sergeants 3 and is based heavily on Gunga Din.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
Stirring stuff indeed, some really wonderful stuff there.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Excellent looking game  :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
Fantastic looking game and superb AAR!
A great inspiration as well.
I can see this easily transposed to the Indian Mutiny (as soon as I get all those lovely Iron Duke figures painted) :?
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 05:40:20 AM »
Great looking game!

Bad day for the natives...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
Cracking stuff!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 01:05:02 AM »
Thanks gents.

Will be replaying this soon with some tweaks - as I always get stuck with the Pathans!

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
 :o :o :o  fantastic ! a wonderful wargame ! Like a movie! One of the best games posted here!!! Very inspirational... The figures and the terain are great. I will try the scenario with a few modifications for the Sudan period, using 15mm.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »
I can only add to the compliments on the truly inspirational appearance of your game, which also appears to have been a lot of fun, in spite of being somewhat one-sided. I have never played T & T, though I own a copy of the main rules, and have been wondering about the colonial expansion, but know very little about how the game plays.

While you've no doubt given the information elsewhere, I'd love to know the source of the figures you use.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
While you've no doubt given the information elsewhere, I'd love to know the source of the figures you use.

There are quite a few different manufacturers here:

The Pathans, including the cavalry, are a combination of Wargames Foundry "Hill tribesmen" and "Indian Warriors", along with some Old Glory Pathans.

The standard British army troops are Old Glory from their Colonial range.

The Guides are Wargames foundry from their NWF range.

The Sikh Engineers and the Bengals are all Perry Sudan.

Hope that helps.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »
Thank you. I have a few - as in two packs - of Empress Miniatures' Jazz Age Imperialism range, some of which would also be appropriate for the earlier period, I imagine - the Afghans without bolt action weapons - though almost all could be used if you're prepared to overlook some details. The British troops only work for the 20th century, though, because of the different headgear.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:23 PM »
Thank you. I have a few - as in two packs - of Empress Miniatures' Jazz Age Imperialism range, some of which would also be appropriate for the earlier period, I imagine - the Afghans without bolt action weapons - though almost all could be used if you're prepared to overlook some details. The British troops only work for the 20th century, though, because of the different headgear.

You are welcome.  :)

For sure the Empress Miniatures' Jazz Age Imperialism will work in a pinch and it's your game - over look what ever details you wish! I pride myself on utilizing my miniature collections in as many varied theaters as I can manage, especially if I can bend the rules a bit.

And as for the colonial supplement of T&T I used the rules for the Pathans and British Volley Fire from it, but the game could have been as easily run with the core rules alone.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
Unfortunately I don't know where my copy of T & T , and the SCW supplement I bought at the same time, are, so have no idea when I'll get around to playing it. (I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy another copy, with the Colonial supplement).

I have been trying, on and off, to work my way through Sharp Practice 2, but distractions - or more accurately, indiscipline - have prevented me reading the rules to the end, let alone trying a game. It only covers up to 1865, but a colonial expansion is in the works, I believe, and some players have already implemented their own amendments, French versus Tuareg in the Sahara, for example. Such fervour is far beyond my capacity, regrettably.