Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: ZONA ALFA: Salvage and Survival in the Exclusion Zone (New Bat Rep:2 June)  (Read 45598 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Youknow as far as modern Eastern European Post-Apocalyptic settings I'd be interested in seeing something based on Escape from Tarkov. Where most of the fighters are outfitted with modern equipment rather than sci-fi stuff, and there's not much supernatural content. Though of course realistically the figures would just be modern miniatures, or more ragtag models like these SASM Separatists.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Thing is, I really like the chunky stylized character of the Last Project figs and was hoping to find similar sculpts. I contacted Warhansa directly this morning and they graciously responded and explained that the current figs are more in line with Perry or Warlord. Which is cool, but I already have SASM and a batch of the Chechen Wars stuff.

I've seen some Escape from Tarkov videos and they looked very cool, but am focused on baking that STALKER aesthetic into ZONA ALFA, so the hint of supernatural (mutants, anomalies, artifacts) is present with the salvaging and combat.   

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Thing is, I really like the chunky stylized character of the Last Project figs and was hoping to find similar sculpts. I contacted Warhansa directly this morning and they graciously responded and explained that the current figs are more in line with Perry or Warlord. Which is cool, but I already have SASM and a batch of the Chechen Wars stuff.

I've seen some Escape from Tarkov videos and they looked very cool, but am focused on baking that STALKER aesthetic into ZONA ALFA, so the hint of supernatural (mutants, anomalies, artifacts) is present with the salvaging and combat.

I recently picked up their modern medics, lovely crisp casts but as said they are more SASM and tiny terrain size wise which isn't a bad thing for me. Wonder if pigeon may be closer to the LAM minis in size

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Sorry... Pigeon?

Wait,  Pig Iron?  They are, but I want AKs.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Sorry... Pigeon?

Wait,  Pig Iron?

;D yep bleeding predictive text

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
It looks like Igor used the guns he sculpted for the Chechen line for his newer Warhansa sculpts. Huh, I may pick some of those up. I didn't like the older set as the guns looked a bit home made, and the proportions were off.

Those would  fit in well enough with the more rag tag style the Ukrainian sculpts have compared to the Russian VDV he did for the Chechens (and despite being Post-Apocalyptic styled, be fairly suitable for modern conflicts...).

Igor's currently sculpting a load of stuff for SASM, primarily niche lines. SASM had shown off some African tribesmen, along with mercenaries recently which would do for post-apocalyptic settings, though his more professional looking fighters may be the most suitable for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like settings (even if there was that one book set in a Zone in Afghanistan).

Edit: And yeah, Pig Iron's scaled for Warhammer, so would work well with Lead Adventure. If you're into sci-fi guns that is (their hooded mutant line's fun).

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com

LAM, SASM, Pig Iron

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
On the subject of scale (with Igor's stuff being the Chechens in this case):

Spectre Miniatures Militia/ SASM Polish GROM / Eureka Soviet / SASM Navy SEAL / Empress Universal Modern / Kickstarter Chechen

Empress Universal Modern / Kickstarter Chechen / Wargames Factory Spec Ops/ SASM / Kickstarter Chechen / Eureka Soviet

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
SASM's recent Alpha Spetnaz would be perfect for Zone Enforcement troops - standardized equipment, uniform appearance, ultra modern.
I have converted Assault Group figs as well and they fit size-wise too. I just get a kick out of the character Igor sculpts into his figs. 

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
That's something which I've said to the owner of SASM before. Compared to his competitors, Igor's sculpts have much more character and detail. For instance the Spectre figures typically lack all the extra pouches and gubbins - which may be more realistic to an extent (though the modern fighters I've seen tend to have loads of gear), but as a wargaming piece they're not to my taste. I suppose his style fits more Skirmish style games where there's more individuality at play.

The 3D sculpts by SASM are more in line with Spectre's in their lack of extra gear. Odd in that Spectre's are traditionally sculpted, but they may be going for a certain look (realism being key). Regardless, Spectre also do some Spetsnaz who would fit in with modern survivors if you give them head swaps (I replaced them with ballistic masks by Empress and they look fair, though you could give them bare heads / hats / etc and do them up in random camo schemes, or buy Empress's gas mask set and have them being some proper military in a contaminated environment. I need to find a scenario to do something similar at some stage. I believe the Soviets had a dedicated hazardous environment camo at one point).

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
I've had my eye on SASM's Alpha Spetsnatz. The painting queue is backlogged as it is tho, so they'll have to wait. Looking at those comparison shots, I also realize I'd forgotten about Empress Universal Moderns.

I wonder If I can purchase extra packs and pouches somewhere. 

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
Eureka does extra pouches which should work http://www.eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_150_849&products_id=11317

Empress has a couple of packs of US and Brit stowage that includes packs and various useful bits and pieces http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart34.htm

I'm also considering Eureka's NBC Soviets as size should be similar to LAM (older sculpts).

Hope this helps.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
If you want Hazmat, there is always the Hasslefree Hazmat team:
https://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=hazmat-team-alpha~hfa062&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-adventurers
Though they are a ed with G36s.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
SASM have a whole range of stowage too, and Empress sell HLBS' packs (however half of the bits are too large in both the sets they sell, as they're meant for vehicles). Though I'd imagine that Warlord's pouches which come with their WWII sets are easy enough to come by.

Eureka's Soviets in NBC suits are more like 25mm from experience. As do some of their Afghanistan Soviets come in closer to that scale oddly too (others are taller). Similar to Empress's Red Star Chechen range - where the older sculpts are smaller. Those would work for this setting too though.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
I have some Eureka Soviets. They're nice but definitely on the smaller side. Those are Pig Iron gasmask heads.