Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Akira - Rooftop PV panels -page 23  (Read 55267 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Akira - Rooftop PV panels -page 23
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »

Time to re-start my Japanese anime/manga project after the Photo*@%?# debacle  lol

As some of you my remember I began a project based on a near future version of Japan. The idea is to have a small but incredibly cluttered board that looks like a modern/near future version of a large city in Japan. At the moment the plan is for 900mm x 900mm but I've had a few recent thoughts on how it can be expanded (but more on those thoughts later).

I'm still sorting through my photos but for starters here are the figures for the Neo-Tokyo Police force. I've based the uniform loosely on the current Japanese police and the vehicles have the current colour scheme (obviously there are no walkers etc in reality  :D )

Figure factions will be small, five to ten figures a side but there will be a fair amount of tech per side. Rules, as of yet, still to be decided.

First unit of the second riot platoon and their officer, Sargent Kabusami.

The unit needs some transport so they've got a simple 'SWAT' van. It needs decals but at least the lights work  ;)

Then there is the unit support in the form of a tactical walker; TSW for short.

And finally for now is the unit air support.

That'll do it for now, I've got a couple of other gangs on the go that'll get posted in due course along with the buildings and extras that have been done so far.

cheers

James
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:30:36 PM by OSHIROmodels »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: Akira
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
Excellent.  The magazines and shell casings are nice touches.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
Excellent  :-*

Akira : the Manga & the Anime are very good , and the Anime 's OST is excellent  :-*

Yours minies & buildings are just perfect , with a lot of details !

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
Nice to see you back at this mate! How are you getting on with your board side of things?(he asks in hope of being able to steal ideas! ;))

Are you going to put any of your old pictures on here? Your old thread was one of the best sources of inspiration on this forum!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
Excellent,

You back on board with this project.

Akira, is still one of my favourite's. Always fancied building the bike.( twenty years ago I made a stamp mould for the wheels but never got any further)

Have you managed to find the bikes in 28mm?.As remember your buildings and the lighting . But I don't recall seeing the bikes.

One more question  :D Is The 'chopper' one of the card ones from Laser Cut Card? 

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
Excellent.  The magazines and shell casings are nice touches.
It's great street litter!  The water bottle is my favourite :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
Thanks chaps  :)

How are you getting on with your board side of things?(he asks in hope of being able to steal ideas! ;))

Are you going to put any of your old pictures on here? Your old thread was one of the best sources of inspiration on this forum!

Sorting through the old photos and will post them periodically until I'm ready to start making again (currently away on hols). I'll stick a screen grab up of the board development tomorrow probably as I@ll have done a bit more on it.

Have you managed to find the bikes in 28mm?.As remember your buildings and the lighting . But I don't recall seeing the bikes.

One more question  :D Is The 'chopper' one of the card ones from Laser Cut Card? 

I've got a couple of the Void bikes but I'm drawing up some sci-fi bikes to print and eventually sell. The chopper is from Antenocities and I think it's oop (along with the walker).

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Nice stuff.

I look forward to seeing your board.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:11:26 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »
Great project and great to see you back on it.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »
Time to re-start my Japanese anime/manga project after the Photo*@%?# debacle  lol
cheers

James
Hey James,

Even after the ability to fix the links, I thought PB reverted their policy or am I mistaken?

Grimm

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 09:53:46 PM »
I deleted my account as I wasn’t going to let them have my photos if I had to pay to use them.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »
So, had a play around with the original layout and added some bits here and there (notably the monorail and the Akira style sewer/drain). So it's gone up to 1200mm x 1200mm but can still be smaller (I've only got one expressway section complete at the moment).

Any questions, just ask. I'll be posting actual model pictures later in the week  :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Akira - Layout screen shots added
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
The whole set-up looks perfectly like downtown Tokyo! :o But is the highway bit not a slightly oppressive? Are you planning on playing most of your games on top of the road?

Are you taking inspiration from Ghost In The Shell for your river/sewer section?

One last question....(I feel like Columbo here!).....is the yellow see-through building going to be all glass?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
But is the highway bit not a slightly oppressive? Are you planning on playing most of your games on top of the road?

Potentially the board can be widened with additional, thin road sections (say 100mm wide) to increase the distance between it and the buildings although there area over here that are like that.

Are you taking inspiration from Ghost In The Shell for your river/sewer section?

That and Akira. It would be nice (but probably impractical) to have a massive tube/pipe section that acts as a board edge but we'll see how it goes.

One last question....(I feel like Columbo here!).....is the yellow see-through building going to be all glass?

The three walls to the front and sides have windows in them and the lift/stairs are supposed to be in the more solid area to the rear. I've got a few floors of this done already but hit a stumbling block lighting it and having removable floors, hopefully the electrics book I've bought recently will help with that.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
Absolutely awesome and a real inspiration as well! 8)

Potentially the board can be widened with additional, thin road sections (say 100mm wide) to increase the distance between it and the buildings although there area over here that are like that.

I had the same question as Andy; how playable would the table be between the buildings, under the elevated roads? One thing that would come to mind is this; metal sheeting onder the road surface, with magnetized bases for the minis, so they will remain where they are, as you remove the road sections to acces the miniatures underneath...

The three walls to the front and sides have windows in them and the lift/stairs are supposed to be in the more solid area to the rear. I've got a few floors of this done already but hit a stumbling block lighting it and having removable floors, hopefully the electrics book I've bought recently will help with that.

Years ago, I had this crazy idea to make a completely lit, modular urban table, using 2"x2' sections, that would slot together on each side with dowels, but also with a universal plug on each side (male and female next to eachother in a standard pattern, but with both connected to the same wires) to connect all the sections to the power source. I still have not abandoned the idea; it's still brewing, and one day, given the opportunity, I will build it.

Plus would be on the X-axis, minus on the Y-axis. But with a small bit of clever electronics in each section that can switch polarity to accomodate the LED polarity in the section, so the sections could be rotated in any way and still be connected the right way. the only thing to do then is to connect each outside section on the X-Axis to its neighbour in an S pattern (first two rows connected on the left, second and third rows connected on the right, etc), and the same goes for the Y-Axis.

This means all sections can be powerd by one source, and can be completely modular. I was also planning on adding power connectors on the surface (i.e. female connectors, flush with the surface) for buildings, street lights and vehicles, which would all have a corresponding male connector on the bottom. I was thinking 3.5mm jack-plugs for this.

I hope the above rambling is understandable. I've had this idea in my head all this time, and never put anything down on paper, even though I discussed the electronic feasibility with an electronics expert, and he assured me it would be completely possible.

But to illustrate what I'm talking about at least a little bit, here's a 2 minute, manually created Paint drawing that hopefully clarifies what I have been talking about... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!