Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Longbows 24/2  (Read 59961 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Footsore saxon archers, no fool 1/4
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

Finished the last Footsore saxon for now. Also did up another Warlord-base for him for SAGA. You really want big bases for your SAGA warlords, but I also like not having my minis locked into that base size, so I got these 50mm circles with 25mm cutouts from Warbases. Very handy I think.

Thoughts?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Footsore saxon warlord 3/4
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2021, 12:28:40 PM »
As long as the outer base of the sabot is nicely modelled, like yours I'm all for it.  8)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »
Brilliant!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2021, 03:54:38 PM »
A second update for today, as I also finished these V&V irish command and hearthguard. This is my first experience with V&V, and I am somewhat unimpressed. To begin with it took a solid six weeks and an email reminder for them to even send me any miniatures at all. Secondly, the minis are super fiddly (something I very rarely complain about), as each mini is 6+ pieces of somewhat soft resin. I even ended up having to replace all axe hafts with 1mm plastic rod. Design is very nice, material pretty bad and assembly really annoying. Don't get me started on the 100 year war pack I ordered and how sword, hand and handle are three separate bits.

Here is also a size comparison with a Victrix viking:

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. V&V Irish 3/4
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2021, 05:00:27 PM »
Wow! Those Irish look amazing mate! Your work paid off.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline AxolotlQuestions

• Bookworm
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2021, 10:07:46 PM »
If you're in the UK, I highly recommend Mezzers Miniatures for V&V stuff. I ordered over the weekend and the package arrived on the Tuesday.
The minis are very fiddly though.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2021, 10:15:47 PM »
If you're in the UK, I highly recommend Mezzers Miniatures for V&V stuff. I ordered over the weekend and the package arrived on the Tuesday.
The minis are very fiddly though.

Alas, I am in Sweden. I've found that Stronghold Terrain in Germany have them as well for us EU residents, but to be honest I will probably stick to other manufacturers for the forseable future. If I am to get any more Dark Ages stuff right now, my first priority will be the remaining Matt Bickley-sculpted Saxons from Footsore, and beyond that probably Victrix's Normans.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2021, 10:39:03 PM »
Oof, sorry to hear you had such a rough experience there! I've heard the V&V figures are notoriously fragile as well, so good call on replacing the axe hafts. It's a shame really because the sculpts themselves are great

You've definitely made the best of a bad situation though, really nicely done with the painting, the cloth highlights especially are top notch!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »
Fantastic paintjob! :-*

I mostly order directly from V&V and it does in take around 4-6 weeks to arrive in Belgium.

I quite like the figures, but they do take time to assemble.

Keep up the fantastic work! I am looking forward to see you paint the other beautiful Footsore Saxons sculpted by Matthew Bickley and in the near future the Victrix Normans!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2021, 10:14:56 PM »
Looks good. I like to put a bannerman on the my base with the warlord, along with maybe a musician or favorite dog.

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2021, 11:02:04 PM »
Nice job on the warlord and archers.

The base insert is a good idea, but Warbases' decision to center the smaller base leaves too little room for other interesting bits -such a standard bearer, companion animal, or fallen foe. 

Excellent work on the Irish axemen.

My only complaint about V&V is that the detail is closer to true scale than what you see in many minis.  As a result, it's a bit too fine for my taste.  I prefer details (chainmail links, belts, satchels, pouches, buckles, sheathed knives, etc) that are a bit exaggerated in size.  The larger bits are easier to paint and show up better at a distance.  Overall, I think Victrix does a better job than V&V of balancing realistic looking proportions against the need to paint and display minis.

With that said, I own dozens of V&V minis -most of which are going to find their way into my Pagan Rus warband.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2021, 11:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

In regard to banners with warlords, I agree that it looks quite nice but I struggled with transporting these big bases with banner poles sticking out. The lower large base is less visually interesting, but it looks good enough and is so much easier to transport.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

In regard to banners with warlords, I agree that it looks quite nice but I struggled with transporting these big bases with banner poles sticking out. The lower large base is less visually interesting, but it looks good enough and is so much easier to transport.

Use rare earth magnets to hold the bannerman's arm to the torso.  This will allow you remove the banner and arm for separate storage while transporting models.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2021, 07:47:07 PM »
Well, been a while, but I finally got to play a game of SAGA! We played Age of Vikings and just the basic Clash of Warlords from the book. I played Norse Gaels versus my opponents Vikings.

First time trying the Gall Gaedhil mercenaries, and they sure add a good punch to this force. I ended up winning a fairly decisive victory, leaving only my opponents Warlord on the table by the end of turn five.

No game shots I'm afraid, just my army line up. Used a combination of my Irish and Viking models.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Ogrob's SAGA and Dark Age stuff. Got to play a game 10/11
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2021, 11:03:34 PM »
That's a handsome warband.

I had hoped to use Gall Gaedhil with my Irish at Adepticon in March, but it looks like mercs will be disallowed.  :(

I've never used the Norse Gael board.  How is it?