Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX  (Read 11264 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 - UK PREMIERE Tues July 2
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Suppose it won't cost anything but time when it shows up on Netflix at some point (as it currently has the first), so might well give it a go. Quite interested in fact to see how the two seasons differ then.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 05:53:51 AM »
I'm in...that looks like a lot of fun to make

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
Coenus and smirnoff, you are both right!  Somewhere farther down the line all of Season 2 will be available on Netflix, and working as an Executive Producer and writer on this second season was a lot of fun indeed!

Coenus, at some point I hope you will find the time to return to this thread to share what you will think of Season 2 -- good, bad, or indifferent -- and of the differences between the two seasons.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
Oh dear, am I the only person who actually enjoyed season one? I am not a medieval buff, my main interests lying before 900AD and after 1460AD, so I didn’t really notice the inaccuracies (bit like my lack of knowledge about tanks enabled me to enjoy the Battle of the Bulge more than my rivet counter friends). My one reservation was the lead actor, who was nowhere near as interesting as the King of France, the Pope or his best friend.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
Coenus and smirnoff, you are both right!  Somewhere farther down the line all of Season 2 will be available on Netflix, and working as an Executive Producer and writer on this second season was a lot of fun indeed!

Coenus, at some point I hope you will find the time to return to this thread to share what you will think of Season 2 -- good, bad, or indifferent -- and of the differences between the two seasons.
If I remember to, I will! Shall wait for S2 to emerge on Netflix so that I can watch them right after each other.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
I watched the second season. I think that indeed it was better than the first one but still I have some criticisms (always constructive). I understand that the series wanted to keep going on a more adventurous-action style. Personally I think that the seventh episode was the best one and we got a glimpse of the real potential that series could have as a whole. A more political-dramatic direction closer to the actual events in the vein of The Accursed Kings novels.
I believe that the main problem was the scenario fall out from the first season. There were certain things set in motion that you could fix only if you totally reset everything script wise, something understandably impossible. Especially Prince Louis' arc could be so much better if the whole ''murdered mother'' plot line was dumped. I think there was potential to the character. I really didnt like the ''luciferians'' appearance. I mean it was something that looked as if it came out of Medieval Spawn comic. I would prefer something more subtle and believable. One thing that is a minor detail but really annoys me everytime its happening. Modern haircuts and styling. Whats with King Philip's hipster look?
On the good side, the fighting scenes are fun and the battles pretty decent for a tv production. I loved the fact that clearly somebody wanted to give Mark Hamil the respect that the new era Star Wars, denied him. He was great fun to watch and he looked having a good time doing this.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 01:55:05 AM »
I'll probably watch it just to support Mad Guru. lol

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
@Leman: Absolutely nothing wrong with liking Season One, as much or more than Season Two!  Sorry you weren't a bigger fan of our lead actor -- who is a very fine fellow and IMHO quite talented -- but hopefully you will like him more in Season Two, and the supporting cast you like is almost all back as well, plus some new talent you can evaluate and pass judgement on.  After all, that's part of the fun of being the audience!

@Coenus Scaldingus: Binge watch it in its entirety on Netflix and I hope you enjoy from start to finish!

@Codsticker: Much appreciated my friend!  If I see any of your figures, vehicles or terrain hereabouts in a competition setting, they have my vote!

@Captain Harlock:  Glad you like Season Two, and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts!

I agree that Episode 207 was one of, if not perhaps the, strongest of the season.  Of course this was largely thanks to the highly-charged place it holds within the structure of the entire season.

Like you, some of my own favorite dynamics and moments from this season were the political ones.  I think we actually have a good amount of that material scattered throughout the other episodes as well, with regard to aspects of French Royal policy and politics, early 14th Century church policy, internal debate on various issues within the Templar ranks, King Philip's relationship with Popes Boniface and then with Pope Clement (you probably noticed we skipped over Benedict IX entirely),  the Tour de Nesle affair, the Royal debt, tensions between Nobles and Royal foot soldiers, the proper place of women at the Royal Court, etc.  The potential Season Three which we developed and wrote the first portion of, leans more heavily into elements like those, as well as Anglo-French conflict in Gascony which will help lead to the Hundred Years War, and relations between the remaining Templars and the Hospitallers.  We have room to do more of this since some of the story-lines we inherited from Season One are resolved by the end of Season Two.  There is no guarantee a Season Three will come to pass, but the more people who watch Season Two, the better the chances will be, so thanks for watching Season Two before it shows up on Netflix! (if you wait to watch your viewership sadly will not count in the decision-making process on whether or not the show gets to survive.)

I hear you re: the Luciferians -- particularly their art direction/wardrobe -- but I love the story of the Templars' interaction with them, and how that story resolves itself, especially with regard to the hero, Landry.

I also hear you re: period inappropriate hair styles, but I would have to put that in the historical fiction vs. docudrama file.  In the end it comes down to a question of the tastes of the creative powers-that-be, including various combinations of Network and Studio executives, the Showrunner, the hair-&-makeup artist, and the actor themselves.  I completely understand that if a character's hair bothers you, it's really bad, since for obvious reasons, any time said character is in a scene, you can't escape it!  So you have my sincere sympathy on that one.

On the good side, I'm glad you enjoyed the action scenes and Mark Hamil's respectable and fun presence.

I think I give us a higher overall grade on story-telling and character-development beyond pure "adventurous-action" than you do -- but I am far from an objective judge, and I am also the first to admit we crammed a goodly amount of Action-Adventure in there!

Since you singled out Mark Hamil for kind comments I will share with you that he was an absolute pleasure to work with.  He came to the set every day with a purely positive attitude, filled with dedication and enthusiasm for the material and his colleagues in the cast and on the crew.  He went out of his way to be as generous and helpful as possible to the entire company, something my partner and I and the other writers and producers on the show will always remember him very fondly for.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:17:02 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
The decision on season three seems a bit bonkers as my TV package doesn’t include the History Channel, so I see everything on Netflix.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
A decent number of shows available on Netflix begin life being aired on other broadcast and cable TV networks.  When that's the case, the decision on whether or not a show lives on is usually made by the network where it originated.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
I really do hope you get a third season. After all the more history/fantasy dramas the better. I understand (or at least I imagine) that running such a show means dealing with many factors, people, conflicting interests and most of all budget decisions. By the way my favourite character was Tancrete for some reason and I liked much more the ''new'' recasted Isabella.
And maybe one day, someone, will discover how interesting and bad ass the eastern roman empire was and will create a series set in it.  :D

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »
Netflix took on Lucifer after it was dropped by Prime, so a precedent has been set for a Netflix adoption of a series. I remember how disappointed many of my friends and I were when the network cancelled Firefly, yet something not particularly special, like Burn Notice, gets series after series. Puzzling.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
Netflix took on Lucifer after it was dropped by Prime, so a precedent has been set for a Netflix adoption of a series. I remember how disappointed many of my friends and I were when the network cancelled Firefly, yet something not particularly special, like Burn Notice, gets series after series. Puzzling.

The Expanse was almost canceled and it was picked up by Amazon only because Bezos took a personal interest in it. We are talking about the best sci fi series of our times hands down and could run for several more seasons. Sometimes its really hard to understand the way show biz executives think. Its like having a reversed Mida's touch non-superpower. They touch gold and turn it to shit.

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
I really enjoyed season 1 of Knightfall so I'm looking forward to season 2.  We just can't have enough decent historical drama.
I liked both the characters and plot of Knightfall series1 and found it entertaining.  It's much better than the rubbish never-ending soap operas and reality tv shows which dominate UK terrestial TV.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 10:55:36 PM »
@bong-67: Glad you liked Season One, and I hope you enjoy Season Two!

@Captain Harlock: Casting is a very subjective thing, but I'm happy to hear you liked the new Princess Isabella from Season 2.  One thing I left out from my brief sketch of the potential Season 3 is a new plot-thread set in England, involving Isabella's personal and political life with Edward II, and their interaction with her brother the King of France.