Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fear and Faith  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Fear and Faith
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
Fear and Faith from Ganesha Games has just been published ($8 for the PDF)

48 pages crammed with rules and profiles for any horror setting, as well Gothic as modern, and Pulp/Cthulhu - and whatever your dark heart may desire.

Based on the Song of Blades and Heroes engine, it's very simple and fast paced.

I have only given it a quick read-through, but so far it seems to cover all (or most of) the little quirks of the genre.

Zombies can be bought in Mobs that have a free move towards the nearest source of foodat every activation (i.e. they will move, even if they roll no successes on their activation roll.

Also Transsylvanian villagers come in mobs that will hunt the monster relentlessly (YES, there IS profiles for Dr. Frankenstein and his monster(s)... and Dracula.... and Van Helsing....

My only problem with the game engine is, I'm horrible at rolling 6-sided dice, and very often end up having activated only 1 figure in almost every turn of a game of SBH, even though I play with High-Quality troops... much to the bemusement of my opponents...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
Re: Fear and Faith
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
Cool.  I was wondering about these rules...

Whats the overall impression?  Will it work better than Chaos in Carpathia?
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
Bought it yesterday and it seems to be right what I was searching for. Have to complete some minis, most are ready - then start a couple of test games and then a game report.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Downloaded them as well , not come across SofBH so this system is new to me - looks very simple and quick , have high hopes for them , the only problem is thinking up scenarios (I'm rubbish at them !) .

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
I've bought most of the releases so far - and played three of four games.

Great, quick fun and all the supplements can be inter-weaved pretty easily. I've been looking forward to Fear and Faith and it's a great addition. Hope to run a game soon.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:46:25 PM »
The really good thing is, I only need a dozen or so zombies to get started - most other zombie settings require scores against just  a couple of survivors.

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:09:36 AM »
Just finished my first little playtest of the rules (a very simple hero on werewolf affair just to get the hang of the mechanics).

I must confess that I quite enjoy the simplicity of the rules, and can see it scaling up pretty well.

My little game ended up being a dramatic affair (I designed a little scenario where the hero would try to retrieve a statue guarded by the werewolf, get in his car that was nearby and take off). The hero succeeded in grabing hold of the statue, get back to the car and open a door (I ruled it cost 1 action) - at that point the werewolf dramatically  got 3 actions (suffice it to say, that is a good thing in this activation system), dropped in on the hero and a benny-hill like run around the car ensued :D

It did no end well for the forces of good, as eventually the Hero tripped and fell and was immediately mauled by the creature (he did well to get this far - there is a point system for balanced games and the werewold was 60 points to the Junior Occultist with Pistol's 44.

I had never tested these mechanics (although I have Songs of Drums and Shakos for Napoleonic Skirmish lying around) and I'm hooked. Very fluid gameplay. I hardly had to look at the book after a couple of minutes.

For those who are already familiar with the mechanics, Fear & Faith adds fear, insanity (:D) and an whole cast of your favourite horror good guys/bad guys (from the Victorian Age to Modern times). Some examples:
- Zombie Elephant escaped from the Zoo (my personal favourite :D)
- Teenage Zombie on rollerblades
- Zombie Hunter with chainsaw
- Typical Victorian Lady
- Chupacabras
- Possessed Car
- Exorcist
- Antichrist
(...)

It goes on and on. And Andrea provides an application to "build your own" based on the point system (through the yahoo group)

I will try to get some games under my belt so I can write up a more thorough review, but so far, so good. :)

Congrats Andrea - will look forward to new releases from you :)
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Offline chaplain severus

• Librarian
    • http://www.berkshirewargaming.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
Thanks for the review Torradas.

Sounds like a good system. looking forward to more details about it.

Matt
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."
-English Proverb

http://www.berkshirewargaming.com

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
I will try to get some games under my belt so I can write up a more thorough review, but so far, so good. :)

Great review! we'll have to try some zombie slug fest or some vampire hunt scenario or even the famous "pickelhaub terror trench... of doom"!  :)

a personal note from what I've read on the rules: Insanity is a must! You can't have proper pulp without a little bit of insanity :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
- Zombie Elephant escaped from the Zoo (my personal favourite :D)

Yes, that's a great one, when I saw the entry I asked myself every zoo should have zombie elephants. Of course savely locked away with smell filters :D

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
Fear and Faith from Ganesha Games has just been published ($8 for the PDF)

48 pages crammed with rules and profiles for any horror setting, as well Gothic as modern, and Pulp/Cthulhu - and whatever your dark heart may desire.

Based on the Song of Blades and Heroes engine, it's very simple and fast paced.

I have only given it a quick read-through, but so far it seems to cover all (or most of) the little quirks of the genre.

Zombies can be bought in Mobs that have a free move towards the nearest source of foodat every activation (i.e. they will move, even if they roll no successes on their activation roll.

Also Transsylvanian villagers come in mobs that will hunt the monster relentlessly (YES, there IS profiles for Dr. Frankenstein and his monster(s)... and Dracula.... and Van Helsing....

My only problem with the game engine is, I'm horrible at rolling 6-sided dice, and very often end up having activated only 1 figure in almost every turn of a game of SBH, even though I play with High-Quality troops... much to the bemusement of my opponents...

Linky linky please?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »