Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689522
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure"  (Read 2756 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
"Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure"
« on: March 10, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
I just finished reading a great book on the Battle of Lake Tanganyika titled "Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure" by Giles Foden, the author who wrote "The Last King of Scotland."  The book came out in 2004, and it's the most extensive and entertaining account of this episode that I've ever read.  It tends to peter out after the battle resulting in the sinking of the Hedwig von Wissman, but up to that point it's just fantastic.  It's worth the effort to track down this book and read it.

Warren
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:19:34 PM »
Hi

I agree the book is great and I do have a number of other books covering this exploit as well. I do have the Old Glory Model using Eureka Naval Crew. I intend to also use the Brigade Games Ends of the Earth Range of Naval crew for other periods or Pulp with additional ships.

[/img]

Here is Mimi/Toutou (Old Glory Ship Yards)with a generic ship made by and painted by Leroy Simpson my good friend who also painted the Eureka sailors.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »
You need to have the picture hosted somewhere such as Photobucket first (Photobucket accounts are free), and then paste the IMG code for that picture into your post.

For instance, the IMG code for a pic of the Kaizer Chiefs' badge I stole from the net is
Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Plynkes/Kaizer_Chiefs.gif[/IMG]

So I paste that in and the result is this:

There is a thingy you can click on in Photobucket that automatically copies the IMG code for you, so all you have to do is paste it here.

If your pics are already hosted somewhere, just post the pic's address with the IMG bracket thingies at the start and end of the address like they are in my example, or press the Img button on the forum control panel at the start of the address and again at the end.

And sorry for the hijack, I love the book in question, too. It was the second inspiration (after the book and film of "The African Queen") for the African Lakes project on my blog.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »
Thankyou  :)