Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 104493 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (latest update pg 28)
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »
Yep I still refuse to admit ‘the Crystal nonsense’ is part of the series, I didn’t think it was possible to run out of uses for Nazis as baddies but GL seems to think otherwise. The only good point so far I’ve seen about the new one is Harrison Ford will be the same age as Indiana would be at that time, hopefully that’s used well. I still enjoyed the first two (even with the time travelling mp40’s and RPG) - the wrong/right way round but then when watching Holy Grail now you get that ‘sharky’ feeling (something well known to fellow surfers and deep water swimmers) that the Crystal Skull is coming!  lol

I started ploughing my way through Skeletons thinking that they’ll be easy to knock out and they were surprisingly dull to paint and I struggled to maintain my interest, but they’re vital fantasy fodder and I want to play Advanced Heroquest solo over Christmas.

Always great to see your progress,
BALM
A lot of the books that were put out had some far more interesting enemies than were in crystal skull...and Chronicles did as well. Really wish that they'd give all of Chronicles a full release at some point.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #451 on: December 18, 2020, 04:41:04 AM »
I only saw a couple of the Chronicles.... at the Time I could not really get into them but I would like to try again.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (latest update pg 31)
« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Finally finished the last of our skeletons so now I can try to focus on other projects. I also managed to finish some more sabot unit trays... only 53 more to go!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/12/24/to-the-last-skeleton/

Wishing you all a very Merry Winter Holiday and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:27:30 PM by Rick W. »

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
Love those skeletons, Rick! It would be nice to see some before & after pics from your eBay saves. Glad to see you're restoring so many classic GW models. There's a lot of brilliant models underneath really terrible paintjobs on eBay so it's nice to see when they're given new life.

I hope you don't stop your blogs and posting! I followed the Mandalorian thread and found it interesting and I liked reading your posts on there a lot, although I haven't read thr final posts. It's a shame you've been muted for having strong opinions.

Fantasy stories can be very important and have a strong impact on people. Nothing annoys me more than the argument: "it's made up. Who cares if it's internally consistent?" - the laziest of justifications for bad writing.

I'm liable to go on my own long rant on such a topic so I'll stop before it's too late, but your words would be missed if you left the hobby blogging & LE forum.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2020, 01:35:23 AM »
Left a few more thoughts on your blog, but just wanted to say how cool the skellies look.

And please don't go!

Top of the season!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #455 on: December 25, 2020, 04:44:27 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, both of you. Always nice getting praise and agreeing view points.

Looking forward to reading your rant mate!

I will try to get better at before and after photos.

Enjoy the holidays!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #456 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »
This week’s progress. Pretty pleased with the Warg Chieftain and pack beasts. Only 50 more sabot unit movement trays to go...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/01/01/more-wargs-2/

More on the blog about tv shows and my Gothic Horror Fantasy Napoleonic Imagi-Nation Sharp Practice Project... I really need to come up with a better name!

As always feedback, suggestions and advice are welcome. Feel free to discuss anything on the blog in this thread since posting on the blog can be cumbersome.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »
Looking grand. The mouth on the warg chieftain is really nicely done. What is the miniature you used for it?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
Thanks! It is the Eaglemoss Warg and Rider (Sharku) model.

Offline Montefortino

• Assistant
« Reply #459 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
mirjeki, I tried to comment on your blog, but it only accepts Blogger accounts. Discrimination against my Wordpress identity!  lol
Ironically I've been trying to comment on Rick's blog, and it's insisting on my Wordpress login, which then doesn't work! :(

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #460 on: January 03, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »
I have found the comment aspect of WordPress quite awkward. It will also sometimes refuse to let me “like” a post on another WordPress Blog. Hence why I encourage folks to make comments here.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2021, 09:15:23 AM »
This week... more Wargs, a bat swarm and some terrain. Pretty pleased to have finished these.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/01/11/warg-madness/

That said I have so much on my to-do list fighting for priority, it is quite frustrating.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2021, 04:39:26 PM »
The terrain is looking fab. I also like the wargs - you have a great pack of them now.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
Thanks!

I still have a ways to go with Wargs... 15 Fell Wargs (Fenrisian Wolves), another Warg Chieftain (This one being a Fell Warg Chieftain) and a whole bunch of Warg Riders ( both the usual GW and some Oathmark Goblins without the chunky Oathmark wolves). But we are getting there, step by steady step.

The terrain will not be with us long I think. I want to upgrade to more Dwarven Forge and Tabletop World pieces.

Does anyone have experience mixing Dwarven Forge outdoor terrain with non-Dwarven Forge terrain?

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #464 on: January 13, 2021, 09:30:07 AM »
So many wargs! I'm not a fan of the flat-faced Peter Jackson wargs, I always just imagined them as just large wolves but I like your paintjobs a lot. The ziterdes tower looks good, how was it painting the foam they use?

I've used DF with my regular terrain a few times now, but mostly the free-standing stuff. I think the forest tiles could definitely work on top of a grassy board as long as you have the banks. I'm waiting on my Wildlands pledge to arrive before I can test it, but I think it'd look okay as 'deep forest' sections around the board.

Attached are pictures of my DF forest pieces that I used in a recent game alongside my regular scenery.