Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:00:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102916 times)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Great post as usual! I'm enjoying seeing how you're modifying your DF scenery to match your vision for your projects. It'll be interesting to see how your miniatures look on the tiles.

My concern with lots of (highlighted) moulded detail is that it might make it too visually 'muddy' and become difficult to see the miniatures when you're playing. Our brains are good at seeing human(oid) silhouettes, but we usually adopt a birds eye view of the battlefield, so the units need to stand out from the terrain in some way.

Really looking forward to seeing more of your 7th Sea/Tarnished Splendour project. Sharpe + X-Files sounds like exactly my cup of tea.

This was exactly my concern when painting my Dwarven Forge dungeon terrain from KS1, so I left off the Stone Edge Highlight paint. My dungeon tiles are darker than factory-painted, but the figures do stand out against them. My cavern pieces, though, I used the Cavern Dry Brush and because it is a light color, the figures do sometimes get lost in the background while photographing them.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Well, found some of those Britains Trees on German eBay but not cheap... so I will pass on them for now and keep my eyes open for a good deal on some.

If our minis get lost in the busy details... I can always add additional wash or just repaint. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
A bit delayed but another weekly update.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/09/a-busy-holiday/

With just a little work I took factory painted Pegasus Hobbies walls to the next level.... when we got them my wife said, “Prepainted? Great, we can use them as is.” She was skeptical of my plan to “product improve” them. However the end result convinced her. Only 24 more walls to go now...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:53:51 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I am guessing my weekly progress reports are not as entertaining as my battle reports...

One of the reasons I keep going on and on about Dwarven Forge is that I wish I had tried it out sooner. I was put off by the reputation of cost and limited application. However, there is a lot to be said for, “buy right, buy once”.

Yeah I know, no one preaches like the converted.

And really it is the woodland terrain of Dreadhollow that has changed my views on DF. Once Wildlands arrives I think it may see a revolution in 28mm wargaming, especially skirmish games.

It is so durable and so versatile. Yes, it is expensive but it will literally last a lifetime of Kids, rough handling, getting wet and being dropped. It breaks down forecast storage. It is heavy but the breakdown storage and durability makes transport a breeze for convention games.

You can cut expense by buying unpainted. The reputation for being difficult to paint has not proven to be true to me. I just avoid using a spray on primer.

You have to like the aesthetics of the sculpting, admittedly they will not be for everyone, but I am so surprised to not see more DF pieces in photos here on LAF.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Those stone walls are brilliant! You've really improved them. The dungeon tiles are much improved as well. A splash of contrasting colour goes a long way.

I have to agree on the DF terrain being so durable and versatile. The only downside for me is their modular nature. I'd actually prefer less modular set pieces, although then they'd be harder to store. The more modular something is, the longer it takes to set up - and that's a big downside for me. That was my chief concern with the castle, although a lot of that depends on how you've stored it.

The terrain trays really help with that though. I've only used my DF terrain very occasionally with RPGs (I generally prefer 'theatre of the mind' style of play) but when I have, I've been able to set up the dungeon rooms beforehand on the trays and then get them out instantly when needed for the adventure. It's minimum fuss and looks very impressive. I'm also surprised at the lack of DF usage on the Lead Adventure Forum, but I think that's probably due to the general wargamer preference of outdoor terrain, which DF never really offered before.

I think the hills, stand-alone trees and other 'scatter' terrain of DF will really go down well once Wildlands hits the stores. My few Dreadhollow trees are already one of the best purchases I've ever made from DF - I never have to worry about how they're stored or if they get knocked off the table, unlike with my old Citadel trees (which looked lovely, but constantly needed repair).

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
I like the terrain and hobby updates. The battle reports are fine, but I just like to see what others are working on.

The wall upgrade was worth it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks for the replies folks, sometimes it feels like I am talking to empty air when no one makes a reply.

Kind words are always appreciated of course but I also like hearing what others think about issues I bring up... even when folks disagree with me!

We still need to come up with a plan to store the castle. Right now it is still set up as a display at the end of our gaming table since we have not been gaming... but it will be distracting once we get some games going again. I was thinking maybe using it as display pieces behind other pieces in our big cabinets.

You make some excellent points Tom.

And I hope you are right about DF catching on more with Wildlands. Availability will of course probably still be something of an issue though.

Andrew, I am glad to hear you enjoy the progress reports. I know they are not as exciting as narrative driven battle reports.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
More exciting than battle reports for me. I'm not generally familiar with the rule sets you use, and I'm not really a big fantasy wargamer. I have a very small fantasy project I was excited about for 15 minutes, and then I went back to my sci-fi and post-apoc projects, which I'm much more wedded to.

So your terrain work has far more bearing on my hobby than the battle reports. Particularly pieces that are more genre and scale agnostic. Your trees and wilderness builds, as well as your new walls. That kind of thing.

To each his own. lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Would a breakdown on how I do the walls be helpful to anyone?

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Definitely yes!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm

Absolutely!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I never pass on a tutorial of any kind. Even if I know how to do something, I inevitably find that someone else does it in fewer steps, or one more step looks ten times as good as my method. Never stop learning! 

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Ok folks, it will not be the very next blog post but it will be soon.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Sorry for the delay, another progress report...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/21/ups-and-downs/

... with a good bit of news, some controversial views, and hopefully a few laughs.

Please feel free to comment here or on the blog. I appreciate anyone taking the time to read what I write and enjoy hearing what other folks think... even when they disagree with me!

I am hoping to have a decent write up of how I modify the Pegasus Hobbies walls in my next blog entry.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Hey, happy birthday! That looked like a nice loot haul!

In regards to Russian purchases too good to be true, I have had similar experiences with a couple of Russian companies. Sci-fi stuff mostly in the vein of "not WH40K" or "Not Battletech" but I've had nothing but great success ordering from small businesses over there. I tend to like bright and colorful and loathe a grim-dark approach to world-building. So the paint jobs just look stunning to me. Not cartoonish, and I think they pop out well against your gaming mat.

Are those Pegasus pieces cast or printed?