Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686516
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102814 times)

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
I wouldn't worry about people not commenting, I still check out this every time there's a new post. Some of us are just doing it at work with no time to comment but still enjoying the content lol
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks, Andrew! I was very fortunate with that haul. We really love the sculpting and painting on those Russian pieces from Gabrigame Workshop. I can not recommend them highly enough.

The Pegasus pieces are cast. There will be plenty of close up photos in the next blog post.

Ah, that is good to know Colonel. It really makes the time spent posting feel better spent when I know people are enjoying what I post. That said, I also like hearing where I can make improvements.

Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Happy birthday!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
And about Love and Monstars (as I watched it on the weekend): I liked it, but it feels like a missed opprotunity. The world, the setting and the humor were very nice, I liked the characters too, but it wanted to show too much. The journey(s) were lashed-together clips of happenings without the feeling for time. It would have worked much better in 2 parts, or even better in a series...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks BZ! My wife and I both agree, a missed opportunity. Mrs. GG was taken by surprise about halfway through to find out it was a single movie rather than a series. We wanted so much more from it.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
How do you want to use those translucent Reaper miniatures? I have some of them too, and for me was a really easy method working pretty good: just drybrushed them a bit. Because of the translucency, the details are not really visible, but the light drybrushing helps to amplify them a lot while still remaining translucent. The only problemy is, that they got sticky over time... Maybe I shoup bursh-varnish them.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Hey, Rick some interesting food for thought on your post. I'll comment there shortly, but just wanted to say here that I always enjoy all that you post, even when I don't run my mouth. I should - I think we all appreciate comments.

I will add that I can't wait to see you guys start your gaming campaigns. I enjoy art, and I enjoy gaming sausage being made, but I personally love battle reports best. Very curious to see what form y'alls' takes.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The translucent pieces are all for our Tarnished Splendor project, so various magical horror beasties.

I had considered drybrushing but was unsure as I have not seen others doing it. What colors did you use?

Time is a precious gift, I always appreciate when someone takes the time to interact with me! If people think about what I write, that makes me very happy.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
I used first a similar, but lighter color, than the original one, and an (almost) white after it:

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Excellent! I will try that.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
I liked Love and Monsters, but generally got the feeling that they were setting up a sequel. At least that was the feeling I got regarding why the ending looked the way that it did. While the travel from the original bunker to the beachside cave was basically short clips along the way, it worked for me as a montage. Maybe not quite as rapid-fire as a Rocky training montage, but I didn't mind it. Overall I found the entire production pretty charming. It felt a little like the Wasteland Survival Guide quest from Fallout 3.

In general, I've come to accept that editing probably does more to create plot holes than poor writing. I almost always watch a movie and think "I would like to know more about this... I wonder if there is a book I can read." I don't expect the kind of deep attention to detail that people seem to hope for. It's a movie, and it is meant to be beautiful to behold. If it gets that far, I'm pretty happy. If you want a Frank Herbert level of intertwined plots and intrigue, you gotta hit up the book (Dune, obviously). I like Dune (the book) and Dune (the first movie) for entirely different reasons, and both are valid in my world.

If you liked Love and Monsters, I would also suggest The Map of Tiny Perfect Things. It was a bit like Ferris Bueller, Groundhog Day, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind had a baby. As a guy that doesn't care much for romantic movies, I found it very charming.

As for the Pegasus pieces, I wasn't sure if they had 3d printed pieces or not. I know you hate print lines, but I have seen some really good 3d printed terrain. I've been running my 3d printer non-stop since xmas and absolutely love it. Often, it outperforms my expectations.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks for the heads up on that movie. I like the patent movies you mentioned so it should be just my kind of thing.

I have to break a promise... my next blog entry was going to be the walls but Hagglethorn Hollow has taken priority....

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/23/hagglethorn-hollow-arrives-sort-of/

More tomorrow as we received emails to say two more boxes are scheduled for tomorrow.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
And here is part 2....

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/24/hagglethorn-hollow-part-2/

I would love to hear what folks think!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
I haven't read part 2 yet but I'm sorry to see the Hagglethorn Hollow scenery doesn't meet your expectations! The badly cast sections are a bigger inconvenience than the badly painted sections in my opinion. Obviously it's not what you paid for but at least you can make your mark on the scenery and make it unique with a few extra touches of paint.

I'll have a read of part 2 tonight and see how the saga continues!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
We still feel it is a 7 out of 10 quality wise (9 out of 10 on the concept though) but considering how little we paid in post-campaign costs the price was... generous. Very generous.

And yes, we can make our own mark on it. We will have to wait and see what folks think because it is joining a very long “to do” list!