Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars- Up and Coming Vignette- Page 20- UPDATED- 05-04-2023  (Read 40591 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
That's some lead pile Atheling. 

It is!  lol I've been collecting Early Renaissance miniatures for many years and only now started to attempt to get a wriggle on with the painting  lol

I've just opened an A4 box full of Venexia Italian Wars 15mm purchased about 3 years ago.  It felt like a mini Christmas.  I'll be diligently following your painting schemes as I set about them.

I know what you mean by a mini Christmas..... I was sorting through all my kit a year or so back and discovered many a box of miniatures I forgot I had bought! And that's after the great Atheling clear out!  o_o lol I probably have enough to keep me going until I drop but that fact is very unlikely to stop me from buying anything new. I think it's called addiction  :D

Those Venexia Early Renaissance miniatures are great. I look forward to seeing what you do with them OB  8)

Steel fist just previewed some new Italian Wars Arquebusiers to be sent to casting in a week or two.  :D

I've seen them and they will obviously be voraciously gobbled up  lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:36:31 PM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Trastámara Italian Wars Ordinance Gun UPDATE 17-01
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2022, 07:25:03 AM »
Hi,

A bit of a long story so please defer to my blog article for info. This is my latest piece for the Spanish in Italy, Italian Wars project and also The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.

My Just Add Water Blog link to the full article:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/01/spanish-trastamara-italian-wars.html

As usual the castings from The Assault Group were very crisp and required very minimal cleaning up which is always great. Bad castings can take a long time to clean up properly, especially if they have been cast in old moulds or the metal was too hot and you get "pitting", which required hours of filling in gaps, smoothing them down etc. It can be a bit of a nightmare. I'm very pleased to say that this has never been my experience with Pete's Assault Group models.

Without further ado I present to you my latest addition to my Spanish Italian Wars army:

Cheers :)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Lovely work.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Gorgeous piece buddy, you are consistently brilliant 👏

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks guys, appreciated.

Plenty more to come  :)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Plenty more to come  :)

Good to hear mate

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Lovely!
The brass of the cannon looks exceptionally good - the colour and shine is just right for really brass.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks Gareth. Rodereros now on the painting desk :)

Lovely!
The brass of the cannon looks exceptionally good - the colour and shine is just right for really brass.

Thanks, I went for quite a newly cast look and wasn't sure it had come out well so it's great to hear that you think it has :)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Italian Wars Ordinance Cannon UPDATE P. 15 17-02-2022
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
Amazing work, and agreed about the brass, the fresh-from-the-foundry look is great!

Online MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2022, 02:33:59 PM »
Lovely work!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2022, 07:06:30 PM »
Thanks again guys.

I've just finished working on the first six Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros for the first pike block. Varnishing etc to come which tends to slow things down a little.

Happy that the "Great Winsor And Newton Professional Matt Varnish Drought" is over though ;) :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:54 AM »
lovely painting

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros- Page 15 UPDATE 19-02-2022
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2022, 12:42:31 PM »

To be honest I have also found it very difficult to paint of late. I have discussed my mental health issues briefly on my blog before. Of late, things have become about as difficult as they I have ever experienced. My will to paint is diminished, my personal morale floundering. I will spare you the details; suffice to say that it's heartbreaking not to be able to spend time on the hobby I love due to being overcome by hyper anxiety and a host of other issues. Anxiety, at it's worst, seems to take over all aspects of ones life.

For these reasons I am quite proud to have been able produced anything at all on the painting front. I reckon this unit of Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros have come out well enough. Though not actually a unit as such, as four bases from each rank will actually be forming the front ranks of a very large pike block, they could be used as a unit in rules like Swordpoint where, for reasons unknown, the Spanish Sword and Buckler are Open Order units are separated from their respective pike blocks. I'm sure that will get sorted out once the Italian Wars Swordpoint  supplement comes out. If it's anything as good as the Swordpoint Hundred Years War Supplement (the best Swordpoint supplement so far by quite some way IMHO) then it will be quite a treat.

All the miniatures are from The Assault Group and are from the Spanish Trastamara range, sculpted by the brilliantly talented Nick Collier.

For many more images of the unit and the single bases from various angles (and the usual gumph!), please feel free to pop over to my Just Add Water Blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/02/spanish-sword-and-bucklerrodeleros-army.html

Sneak peak of single bases:

Cheers

Online MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: Italian Wars- Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros- Page 15 UPDATE 19-02-2022
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »
Impressive! I really love your brushwork and basing.