Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39689 times)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2021, 06:14:29 AM »
Beautiful! :-*

Offline Ajax

• Scientist
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2021, 06:47:12 AM »
As usual, it's beautiful. One of the most addicitve projects to follow !

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
Only just stumbled on this thread, some really great work on these.

Steve

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »
Absolutely fantastic painting on those 4 figures.   :-* :-* :-*

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
Those are gorgeous! I like how you think about how this type of unit would "make sense" on the battlefield. I am thinking for my Carolingian army that a 4-pack of warriors would be various priests praying and shouting hallelujahs!  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
In the most recent episode of the Saga Thorsday podcast, Rodge and Monty voiced their desire to include in the 2022 Adepticon Saga tournament, scenarios that include baggage and/or objective markers.  This is great news, because one of the highlights of Saga tournaments is seeing all the wonderful warbands on display.  And for me, seeing each player's take on their particular warband's baggage/objective markers really adds to their warband's display.

Both Rodge and Monty are quite keen on including the Ambush scenario (see Book of Battles) into the 2022 tournament scenario lineup.  In this scenario, 3 baggage markers move across the center line of the table.  On Turn 1, the opposing warbands enter from their warband's long edge.  If a baggage marker is destroyed, it is transformed into an objective marker.  It's a Survival Point scenario in which players earn points by holding objective markers at the end of the scenario.

Transforming of baggage markers into objective markers gave me an idea.  I am going to link my baggage and objective markers together, so when I remove a particular baggage marker, it will be replaced by a particular objective marker.  To do this, each baggage marker will include a prize carried by non-combatants or guards. The corresponding objective marker will include that prize and the body of one of its guardians.  Both the baggage and objective makers will be generic enough that they can be utilized on their own, without the need to use them paired together.

I will use Wargames Foundry's Arab Casualty set to make the slain guardians.

Below are my first two mock ups of baggage markers and accompanying objective markers.  I don't have the casualty models yet, so I am using a stand-in model.

The first baggage marker is procession of Imams, with their leader holding up a holy text that is bound in a gold, gem encrusted book cover. 

The objective marker will depict a slain Imam lying next to the sacred text.

The second baggage marker is procession of drummers.  The drums mounted on the camel will be sacred, Golden Drums of [insert suitably impressive name here].

The objective marker will depict a slain drummer lying next to one of the golden drums.

I don't have a spare camel drum lying around, so I made a simple mold using Instant Mold, stuffed it with greenstuff, and the next morning, voila! 

The third baggage-objective set will include a prisoner.  I don't yet have the models, but they are on order.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
Although not Saga, I have popped a few of the Wargames Foundry EAV517 Arab Casualties in a few Berber units as seen below. They work exceptionally well and are just right for Andalusian/Almoravid, Almohad, Maranid, Abdalwadid or Hafsid 's- just add spear and shield and you're away.

I just wish I had a better picture.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:46:57 PM by Atheling »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »
@Mikedemana and TheABG:  Thanks for posting your lists.  It always interests me to see how others play their Moors.

@Mikedemana: Thanks for posting your batreps.  Have you considered making video batreps? Also, you should definitely build your own 4-pack "support unit" of hallelujahing priests and the such.  If you do, send me a link.  I'd love to see it.

@Atheling:  Those are some handsome Berbers.  Props to you for taking the extra step to "equip" them with bamboo spears. Excellent work!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:00:49 PM by Koyote »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2021, 02:15:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Maybe one day I will upgrade to video reports. What with my Lead Legionaries blog and the Saga Ohio podcasts, I hate to over-commit. However, a friend insists that he will get me to film some this summer...haha!

I love those paired baggage and objective markers -- great idea! Mine aren't quite as creative. The supplies and such inside my carts and wagons are not affixed. So, I pull them off the wagon and place them next to the unit.

Keep up the great thread -- I actually mentioned your Briton thread on the latest Saga Ohio podcast.  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »

@Atheling:  Those are some handsome Berbers.  Props to you for taking the extra step to "equip" them with bamboo spears. Excellent work!

Cheers Kayote, the bamboo spears are actually just steel wire painted to appear as though they are bamboo. :)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »
Keep up the great thread -- I actually mentioned your Briton thread on the latest Saga Ohio podcast.  lol

Yup, I caught that when I listened to the episode.  Thanks.

During the most recent episode you and your guest speculated about SAGA tournaments and how SAGA tournaments might compare to DBA tournaments.  If you want to attend a really well organized SAGA tournament, you should attend one (or more) of the Adepticon SAGA tournaments.  I attended them in 2017 and 2018, and thoroughly enjoyed them.  I missed 2019 due to the birth of my youngest, and 2020 and 2021 were cancelled due to plague, but I fully intend to be there in 2022.

The Adepticon SAGA tournaments are really well run and I suspect that you will find that the attendees are great people.  Of course there is always that one guy who is bit of a putz and takes the game a bit too seriously, but that can't be helped. There's always one in any group.

My understanding is that in 2022 there will be four separate SAGA tournaments across 4 days (Thursday thru Sunday).  One of those events will likely be a doubles tournament.  In 2017 and 2018, all of the tournaments were open to any of the factions from any of the books.  Starting in 2019, they started to organize the tournaments by books to better balance the match ups.  I suspect that this will become the norm moving forward.

And while you'd think that 4 days of SAGA gaming would be enough SAGA for just about anyone, you'd be wrong.  Groups of folks inevitably gather in the Saga tournament hall after hours for casual games and adult beverages.

The Adepticon SAGA tournaments are also a chance to meet folks from SAGA community, such as Rodge, Monty, Stephen Holdeman III, Andy Lyons, and Bill Thornhill from Footsore Miniatures.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2021, 02:01:15 AM »
Wow...that sounds like a blast! I will definitely have to pencil that one in on my 2022 calendar. It seems to be THE big tournament for Saga in the U.S., unless I'm mistaken.

Do the tournaments usually book up in advance? If so, how far in advance do you need to pre-register?

Mike Demana

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »
Wow...that sounds like a blast! I will definitely have to pencil that one in on my 2022 calendar. It seems to be THE big tournament for Saga in the U.S., unless I'm mistaken.

Do the tournaments usually book up in advance? If so, how far in advance do you need to pre-register?

Adepticon 2022 schedule is March 23rd to March 27th. Registration normally begins in early December.  SAGA slots normally fill up pretty fast -the doubles events are especially popular.  Since Adepticon 2020 and 2021 were cancelled, I suspect a really big turnout for Adepticon 2022, so you will want to sign up the day (hour or minute) that the registration website goes live.  Also, hotel rooms at the venue and in nearby locations fill up really fast, so you will want to book those months in advance. 

I recommend that you visit the Adepticon website and sign up for the newsletter and email alerts. 

The Adepticon SAGA tournament packets are typically published a month or two prior to registration, so you will know in advance what events are occurring on what days and what factions are permitted for each event.

Rodge runs a SAGA Thorsday narrative tournament on Thursday.  The other 3 SAGA tournaments will likely occur on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/AdeptiCon.org/

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:50 AM »
Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep that in mind and do as you suggest. Sorry to threadjack your thread... lol

Mike Demana

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:58 AM »
Though I have never entered a Saga tournament, I must agree Adepticon is a blast.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;