Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Age & GW figures size comparison  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Dark Age & GW figures size comparison
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
In a stroke of luck my new housemate is into wargaming and we're going to play Inquisitor in 28mm. I've no desire to buy GW figures except for an inquisitor, and I've been looking at the Dark Age figure range. Anyone know how they compare in size?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: Dark Age & GW figures size comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:04:03 PM »
I cant provide photo comparisons, but I have found a lot of the Dark Age figures to be rather big, even in comparison to GW, but the universe of 40K would have many planet types allowing for different statures so go with what you like. Why the anti GW stance, for inquisitor only need 5-8 figures so surely you could bite the bullet and allow a small part of your gaming budget to go to GW?

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »
Small part???????

GW stores dont actually stock much in the way of metal anymore. So any character miniatures would have to be bought off the online store, and there are far more cheaper options for that (one of them is ebay selling GW products)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
I cant provide photo comparisons, but I have found a lot of the Dark Age figures to be rather big, even in comparison to GW, but the universe of 40K would have many planet types allowing for different statures so go with what you like. Why the anti GW stance, for inquisitor only need 5-8 figures so surely you could bite the bullet and allow a small part of your gaming budget to go to GW?

No, that would be a large part of my budget on a small project!

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »
 lol lol

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
Dark Age are definately on the large side. I picked up a fig to use as a Necromunda savage, never used it in the end as it's so much bigger. I could have just claimed he was a big guy but it just didn't look right so it never got used. Gave it away in the end.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'm going for 3 Forsaken figures fron the Dark Age range and and a rather nice cyborg from Sacred Blade's 40mm sf range as a chaos mutant. Don't know yet if my housemate will take the leap from GW yet.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
I've found them to be slightly larger, but still compatible. You made a good choice, they are great figures!

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:02:50 AM »
Some of the figures are bigger, but I think that is intended, and represents a big guy.  Some of the figures have very large cast on bases that would make the figures look smaller if the base is removed.  The female sci fi miniatures are certainly no larger than my GW Esher gang members and I think their figures are compatible with GW.  My only complaint thus far is I don't like their guns, I think some of the sculpted guns don't have nice crisp edges and I have been replacing them.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »
Some of the figures are bigger, but I think that is intended, and represents a big guy.  Some of the figures have very large cast on bases that would make the figures look smaller if the base is removed.  The female sci fi miniatures are certainly no larger than my GW Esher gang members and I think their figures are compatible with GW.  My only complaint thus far is I don't like their guns, I think some of the sculpted guns don't have nice crisp edges and I have been replacing them.

Cheers, I'll be removing the bases and exchanging weapons. Good to know the women fit in with the Escher figures size-wise as I'm ordering two to be a desperado and an assassin. I'm really impressed with the range overall.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »
Yes I like them too!  I have about 12 of their sci fi range and am happy with them.  As previously mentioned some need weapons replaced and bases removed.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
Fortunately my housemate has an expansive bits box, so no shortage of 40k weapons.

i've ordered my cyborg, it's a doozy for those that are interested:

http://www.greensgallery.sacredblademiniatures.com/Paintedgallery/CyborgbodyTim.HTM