Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russian figures size comparison  (Read 2943 times)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Russian figures size comparison
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
Hi guys,

as I'm currently doing  a (white) Russian force for WW1/ BoB/ RCW gaming. I've started with the quite nice BoB White Russians from Mark Copplestone. As most of you will know his figures are a joy to paint but suffer quite a bit of the dreaded mono-posity syndrome. So I'm currently looking for other ranges to bolster my forces. Currently I'm looking at Brigade Games and Musketeer Miniatures. As Mike Owens sculpts are quite similar in style and size to the Copplestone ones I think they'll fit in quite nicely. But what's about the Musketeer stuff? I'd also be interested in the RJW Russians from Tsuba Miniatures.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Russian figures size comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
Just took a quick snap for you, Copplestone on the left, Musketeer on the right

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
Thanks Phil! They seem to look ok togeher. I think I'll give it a try. After all you're realy not spoiled for choice when it comes to early 20th century russians.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:11:38 PM by moiterei_1984 »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I dunno, four sources of figures in a given scale seems like an embarrassment of riches from where I'm sitting.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »
Maybe. But compared to what you can get of Germans and Brits it's really not that much. Especially considering almost nobody does any other special weapons than the Maxim. And the Tsuba Miniatures unfortunately are a bit outdated in terms of equipment.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »
I'm facing the exact same problem. Judging from another thread on this very forum (first post, last picture) I'm still undecided how well matched the different ranges are. :? (Just for the record, I'm aware that Tsuba's Japanese are deliberately smaller and that Musketeer's Brits aren't necessarily meant to match their Russians.)
So I started ordering a few sample packs, and if time permits, I'll write a combined review of some recent purchases for our blog. I'd still be happy, though, if you were to do this beforehand. :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:07:49 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »
  :o haven't seen this thread before. Thanks!
Are you planning to do WW1 eastern front gaming also? I'm pretty curious what you'll come up with. Looking forward to your review as I haven't bought anything yet as there are still some Copplestone ones left in the queue. After visiting Hazels old blog I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Musketeer Maxim gun team and Brigade Games for the rest.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »
Man, I can't recall the last time I actually saw anyone even post a true WWI Eastern Front AAR. Usually when someone grabs WWI-era Russians, it's for BoB gaming.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
They don't look too bad for size, though I think they'd be better of in different units.

Darrell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Don't get too hung up on hight of figures,people are dramatically different heights,
I've spent alot of time answering people who send photos of vehicles and try to size a vehicle by the people in the photo.
You need to deciede what height a 28mm figure is to you,as a rule of thumb take it as 5mm to a foot.the only constant is the size of the weapons and equipment.if they fit well then it should work well. Throw in the odd head swap and they'll tie in nicely.I use copplestone,and great war,with my own and my vehicles I personally prefer to mix and match sculptors and manufacturers it gives a more human feel to my units.hope this is helpful.