Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Reconquista, Yusef ibn Tashfin's Hasham Guard Cavalry Page 6 08/02/2  (Read 10606 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Please scroll down or turn the page for the latest images of the completed units on Page 2:

If you have any questions please feel free to fire away.

More pics and commentary on my blog:

https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2019/11/yusuf-ibn-tashfins-black-guard.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:56:08 PM by Atheling »

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Yusuf ibn Tashfin's Black Guard Beginning to Take Shape
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:51:18 PM »
A good start sir

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
They look great, seriously. It's cool to see that sense of uniformity that crept in to Andalusia with the coming of the North Africans. This unit looks really sharp, and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Interesting discussion on the shields. I agree that the light brown shields really work well with the color scheme of the clothing. It would be great to see a couple of the grayish-greenish-blue realistic shields in the mix too, just to highlight the effectiveness of the lighter brown. Also, is there any chance that these shields we painted? If so, then you can justofy any color you want :D

Thanks
n

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:10:40 AM »
Personally, I believe you are doing a great job. I am not sure about the spears, though. I mean there is not much bamboo either in North Africa nor Spain!  lol

Jokes aside, it looks great. I want to do something similar but for a later period, late 12th to early 13th Century, with Almohads instead Almoravids. I have been toying with the idea of using the plastic set of the Perrys for the Sudan to represent the Black Guard of the Almohad sultan, which at Las Navas was formed, apparently, by black slave-soldiers. Just thinking about it at the present, though. Too many projects at the same time!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Personally, I believe you are doing a great job. I am not sure about the spears, though. I mean there is not much bamboo either in North Africa nor Spain!  lol

I disagree. given the size of the Caliphate at the time and the extent of trade this is entirely feasible. It was after all, on of if not the largest empire of it's time and trade was booming. Also, there is evidence to suggest that this is what was used by some, if not all of the North African component of the army.

The first image is from Ian Heath, Armies of the Dark Ages, Arab Cavalryman (sorry about the tiny image, it was all I could find online but the image in the book clearly shows a bamboo spear):

I would imagine that the line drawing might translate as something like this:

Wide spear head on bamboo shaft- North African:

Examples of North African Arrow Shafts:

Whilst we are delving into a period of history that is one thousand years ago ergo, the evidence is going to be flaky; there is a reasonable body of evidence to suggest that bamboo spears were indeed used.

Jokes aside, it looks great. I want to do something similar but for a later period, late 12th to early 13th Century, with Almohads instead Almoravids. I have been toying with the idea of using the plastic set of the Perrys for the Sudan to represent the Black Guard of the Almohad sultan, which at Las Navas was formed, apparently, by black slave-soldiers. Just thinking about it at the present, though. Too many projects at the same time!

I'm doing exactly the same game, Las Navas de Tolosa 1212 using the Baron's War range that will be released by Footsore. Great minds think alike :)

They look great, seriously. It's cool to see that sense of uniformity that crept in to Andalusia with the coming of the North Africans. This unit looks really sharp, and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Interesting discussion on the shields. I agree that the light brown shields really work well with the color scheme of the clothing. It would be great to see a couple of the grayish-greenish-blue realistic shields in the mix too, just to highlight the effectiveness of the lighter brown. Also, is there any chance that these shields we painted? If so, then you can justofy any color you want :D

Good point  lol. Actually you make a very good point- it's a subject that must be worth looking into. The Christian forces painted their animal hide covered wooden shields, so why not Islamic armies in the same part of the world?

I finished another five yesterday evening. That has to be a record for me! Five mini's in one sitting!!  :o

Two coats of varnish and they will be added to the units :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:51:37 AM by Atheling »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:01:17 AM »
Atheling

I think those represent cane rather than bamboo. The former is very common in the region, it is flexible, and have been traditionally used for centuries. I guess it has been a misunderstanding in my part and when I read "bamboo" I thought on the South-East Asia plant, and not as a generic term! My bad...

Alas,it such a minor point that it is irrelevant and they look really well on the minis.

By the way, I also intend to use the new Andy Hobday's and Paul Hicks' medievals for the period of Las Navas! Actually, I have been trying to find a ruleset but haven't decided for one yet. I need to decide if I want to go for smaller games, Saga or Clash of Spears style, or something bigger. What do you have in mind?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 06:34:10 AM »
Atheling

I think those represent cane rather than bamboo. The former is very common in the region, it is flexible, and have been traditionally used for centuries. I guess it has been a misunderstanding in my part and when I read "bamboo" I thought on the South-East Asia plant, and not as a generic term! My bad...

Actually, when I think about it you may well be right! It's mentioned as Bamboo in the Warhammer Historical El Cid book so I just sort of took it from there. Cane seems much more likely. So, my bad really! :)

By the way, I also intend to use the new Andy Hobday's and Paul Hicks' medievals for the period of Las Navas! Actually, I have been trying to find a ruleset but haven't decided for one yet. I need to decide if I want to go for smaller games, Saga or Clash of Spears style, or something bigger. What do you have in mind?

I'm looking at Soldiers of God as I was going to use it for another game a few years back. I'm not completely happy with it. It's card and dice based but as well as a normal function (like March, Charge or Loose etc) the cards have a special Function that can be played too which seems to over power the game a little so I think I would just ignore the Special Functions. I also have issues with the strict number of bases in a unit, (either two three or four) With base sizes it would be possible to have any number of mini's on a base but that wouldn't stop an good unit from being unlucky and disappearing prematurely  leaving the game.

I've also been looking at Gripping Beast's Swordpoint rules. The rules are heavily based on battle line cohesion so I think they will reflect well the combats of the period. Only thing is, I haven't played them yet.

If I was going to do a skirmish game I would go with Dux Britanniarum, for 'realism' or Lion Rampant for fun.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Reconquista! Yusuf ibn Tashfin's Black Guard Beginning to Take Shape
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »
They look good, the black works well.
Hmmm, maybe I should take 5 years off?
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
They look good, the black works well.
Hmmm, maybe I should take 5 years off?

Seriously.... don't!  lol

Keep at it.... I find myself slowly recalling skills that were pretty much second nature five years ago....

Thanks for the positivity- I kind of need it as far as painting is going at the mo' :)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 01:24:07 AM »
They look great.Keep up the good work.
Mark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 08:28:20 AM »
They look great.Keep up the good work.
Mark

They're coming along. The next pic will probably not be until the unit is complete as I left my camera at my mates (hardcore punk!) music venue and have yet to get it back!

Unless I use my phone......

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »
Will you have an El Cid figure?
Mark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »
Will you have an El Cid figure?
Mark

Hi,

At present no. I'm looking at Sagrajas 1086 at present and El Cid was not present. He was still alive but not involved in the battle.

There will be an King Alfonso VI of Leon-Castile base which ought to be just as good. Just not as famous :)

Nothing is written in stone at this stage and Sagrajas might not be the actual game, though this is likely. So, things may change provided all the mini's I've painted fit the scenario.

There would have been more updates and pics but I left my camera in Leeds last weekend at a hardcore punk gig! It's back in town now but currently being looked after by a friend ;) :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:01:45 PM by Atheling »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
You've got to have a "Cid" for this time period. lol lol
Mark

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
I really like them.