Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:33:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Back to Africa - Ngoni  (Read 32105 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Back to Africa - Ngoni
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »

Inspired by the Prof's return to the dark continent, and persuaded by his gentle goading that I really ought to be joining up with him there, I've decided to put all projects on hold apart from this one for a bit (Well nearly all. Just got about 15 more early WWIs on the painting table, but nothing else, honest). As Colonial guy I really ought to show the flag a bit.

The plan is to try and do a little a day and make some headway on my Darkest Africa figures, which have been languishing in Limbo for too long. I want to build up each faction into a small skirmish "warband" suitable for little games of Triumph and Tragedy. They won't be massive, as I hate painting big armies, but I want to try and get each one to a level where it is gameable. The three nearest completion are Force Publique, Masai and Ngoni, so for now I'm going to concentrate on them. But I shall also do the odd explorer and character figure just to keep things ticking over. After that we'll start thinking about my Nyamwezi Warlord and Swahili/Arabs.

I'm hoping that by giving the project a name and a Matakishi-style banner (d'ya like it?) and committing to updating it here as often as possible (though not Prof-style daily updates, that's just crazy talk), it will help me put my newly-discovered painting discipline from the LPL to good use.

So I'm off to the dark continent to find our lost leader (Doctor Witchheimer, I presume?) Who's coming with me?

Stanley's search for Doctor Livingstone's contact lenses continues...

So, let's get the ball rolling with...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:25:08 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Back to Africa - Ngoni
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »

Yep, it's those loveable terrors of Tanganyika, the Ngoni. Roaming up and down the Rovuma, jangling the nerves of Nyasaland, and terrifying the locals with their well-practiced impersonation of a Zulu impi. So a band of rampaging hooligans, then. Thinking about it, there aren't many Darkest Africa factions that don't fit that description. David Livingstone and ... well, that's about it, really. Managed to knock off six this week, but have taken loads of photos to make it look like more (Five Copplestone and Mr. Nudist is Foundry, but still sculpted by Copplestone).

Thought I'd try and perfect my Zulu shield technique. Lots of folks seem to balk at Masai and Azande shields, but I must admit I've found the Zulu style more difficult to get to look good. I really love painting Masai shields.

Think I'm finally starting to get somewhere, though.

Here's some close-ups so you can see if you agree. A couple are a bit slapdash in places, but on the whole I'm pleased with how they turned out...

Lumme! Naughties!

This one's shield is a bit messy. But who's to say there weren't Ngoni who couldn't be bothered to look after their shields and keep them nice?

Looking at them, apart from the fletching on some of the spears (which could easily be removed anyway) there's no reason why you couldn't use these as Zulus if you wanted. They're lovely boys and I very much enjoyed painting them.

More soon. Might be Ngoni, FP or Masai: I'm going to flit between the three to stop myself getting bored. We'll see.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
Wonderful!

Just what the Doctor ordered  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
A fine job on the shields, Plynkes.

Alas, I won't be coming to Africa with you - I bought about 100 Foundry DA figures when they first came out (10 years ago?  More? ::)) But apart from a few of the adventurer types, I never got round to painting them, and sold them all on eBay a couple of years back. So, tempting as an joint expedition is, I'll have to give this one a miss and concentrate on reducing the other multiple projects languishing in the painting queue...

;)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »
A fine job on the shields, Plynkes.
Very nice job all round.  8)
The fleshtones are excellent (as is the case with all your painting imho).  What paints/colours did you use?

Alas, I won't be coming to Africa with you - I bought about 100 Foundry DA figures when they first came out (10 years ago?  More? ::)) But apart from a few of the adventurer types, I never got round to painting them, and sold them all on eBay a couple of years back. So, tempting as an joint expedition is, I'll have to give this one a miss and concentrate on reducing the other multiple projects languishing in the painting queue...
I also bought a lot of DA some years back (Thats very nearly a whole filebox full - Tony Hancock voice).
Like you I painted a bunch of adventurers & a fair few natives before getting distracted.  I still have them all, with the intention to get them painted one day... ::) 
I did make a minor start with the Stalwart Sikhs in the LPL but with little time lately & so many other projects on the go I'm not sure when (if?) it will continue.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:58:33 AM »
Plynkes sets the standards of presentation again. Good start, good pics, good read. I like the paintings of the shields and will defnitely pick up some ideas for my Ngoni gang one day. Nice skin colour, too. All in all, very nice and very inspiring. Keep it up, please!

Actually, years ago, I've started the Ngonis and painted a dozen or less. Then I've been distracted by another project. A pity. But I think, I'll be back on the Tanganyika again. For sure :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »
Lovely Ngoni!

[again when I saw them I though what is the difference with Zulus? the answer is on Plynkes message]
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Overlord, thanks mate.

It goes like this: Black undercoat. Then Coat D'Arms Negro as the base colour (this will be the darkest shade in the recesses, I work up from there). Then Negro + GW Dark Flesh (adds a bit of colour, a bit of life, if you will) + GW Snakebite Leather + GW Bronzed Flesh.

I just add lots of layers (each covering a little less area than the one before), without really bothering to blend, unless I spot a particularly jarring break between shades due to laziness or ineptitude. As more highlight layers get added the mix contains more of the last two colours and less of the first two.

I've yet to find anything I like that comes straight out of the pot, hence the convoluted process above. Be nice if I could do it with less than four pots, but I ain't got there yet!  :)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
Fantastic! :-* Great flesh, superb shields, you and the Prof have inspired me to set sail for the dark continent again 8)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:24:24 PM by Bugsda »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Captain Eaglehorn

• Assistant
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
Brilliant! :o

Visit us in the future wars board! at leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12091.0

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
Fantastic! :-* Great flesh, superb shields, you and the Prof have inspired me to set sail for the dark continent again 8)

It should be quite full, even with it's huge size, as there are an awful lot of us there or thereabouts  :)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 05:39:33 PM »
Really great painting and presentation. Well done  :D

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
I must say that these figures are very nice painted .
It push me to paint my last 10 Ngoni figures ,thanks .
Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
Nice project, brilliant presentation, Plynkes! Looking forward how this is developing ...

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Really nice looking figs! I tend to use burnt umber for my flesh and then use a black ink wash. I picked up my Old Glory unmarried Zulu's for use as Ngoni. My Pygmies, Masai, Masked warriors and Ngoni populate my DA games.

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/