Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Paraguyan Project  (Read 9011 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: My Paraguayan Project
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2020, 02:38:57 AM »
Here is the most recent Paraguayan unit that I've done. 

I now have four units of infantry for each side and a unit of cavalry for the Paraguayans.  I have another six horses painted so far so I just need to get the riders done and I'll have another unit of cav for the Paraguayans. 

I have a few days off coming up so hopefully I'll be able to finish them and get another unit of cavalry done as well.  If I get both of those done I'll only have one more unit to do before I have to buy more figures.  The next order will be the two units of Brazilian cavalry I need for the Battle.  Then it will be two more units of infantry for each side and then hopefully they will have some high command and artillery out

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: My Paraguyan Project
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 12:08:55 AM »
I got a couple more stands of Cavalry done this week.   More Paraguayans again.  These are the command sets for two more units of cavalry.  I'm hoping to have the other stand of one of these sets done later this week. 

I have another three stands of cavalry to do after that one and then I'll have four units of Paraguayan cav.  That will finish off my Paraguayan cav for the time being. 

Up after that will be the Brazilian cavalry and artillery.  I'll have two units of each.  Then I need to double the amount of infantry I have and wait for them to put out some high command figures and my first game will be playable. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 04:08:31 AM »
Nice additions to your forces.  Four units of cavalry and artillery plus doubling the infantry will help keep you busy this winter.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2020, 06:50:19 AM »
It has been a while since I got any of my GPW figures finished, but here are the next ones.  More Brazilians, this time with cowboy hats. 

I'll get another two packs of these to round them out to full 12 man  units eventually.  They are nice figures and I'll probably make some units with mixed head gear by and by. 

I just primed the Uruguayan Libertad Battalion.  So they will be the next thing I do.  I'll probably get started on them when I get up in the morning.  They will be my first set of Uruguyans. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: My Paraguayan Project
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
And here are the first of the Uruguayans.  These were some sharp figures.  Reminded me of painting my Carlist Forces, for obvious reasons. 

I'll probably only have two units of Uruguyans at first.  I need to order the next set soon.  I've almost finished my Paraguayan cavalry and as soon as that is done I'll be out of figures to work on for this project.  I just got the last six riders sprayed and mounted on paint sticks so I'll have a whack at them after I get up later today.

I still need to do some flags for all of the allied forces.  I think I'm just going to buy a good printer to do them.  The Paraguayan flags were easy enough to hand paint but I don't think I want to do that for the allied flags when the Perry's have such nice ones on their site.

Anyway I hope I'll have a few more units of cavalry together for the next time I post, maybe by the end of the week. I'm off this weekend so I should be able to get through some stuff. 

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
Looking great. Flags of war do some nice ones for the period

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »
Good afternoon, I’ve been looking at the War of the Triple Alliance range for some time, and have bought a few reference books. What set of rules do you plan to use?

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »
I haven't used anything yet.  I don't have enough stuff yet to do a proper battle.  I  plan to start out using Black Powder as that is what I use for most of my 19th and late 18th century gaming stuff and it works well for some of the smaller scale conflicts of the time that I do, like the First Carlist War and the Kosciuszko Uprising. 

I have plans to do a game at one of the HMGS conventions, once they start up again, using Carnage and Glory.  This project would be a lot further along had the conventions not shut down as I was planning on getting a game done for the Fall In that would have just passed. 

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
Thanks. I must admit Black Powder needs too many troops for me. This will be a definite "minority interest" project. I have found something on using Osprey's "Rebels and Patriots" , and plan to also look at Two Fat Lardies "Sharpe Practice 2".

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 01:40:11 PM »
Love it.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
Black Powder is definitely a big battles game, although people do use it for French and Indian War, so you may have a look at that supplement to see how you could do it with fewer figures. 

I'm mostly interested in doing the bigger battles so it makes sense for me. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2021, 06:18:26 PM »
I guess it has been a while since I posted anything here.  I've been mostly doing a bunch of cavalry that doesn't look much different from what I've already done.  I have three more to do before they can get their group shot.

Meanwhile I got one of my two Brazilian guns finished. 

I did them in the fatigue uniforms and I like those.  I think I'll do the other gun in the blue uniforms to give the overall army a piecemeal look.  I might even do one of the guys in the other gun team in the fatigue uniform to make it even more mismatched. 

Nice figures as usual.  The guy loading is significantly bigger than the rest of the crew which is interesting.  He fits the gun perfectly, so when put on the base the round is going into the breach exactly.  I'm wondering if they intended to make one bigger than the others or if he got resculpted when the guns were finished to fit.  I like that he is a different size.  If all the figures were slight different sizes that would make for a very realistic looking army.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »
Nice work!

I wonder if the Perrys will decide to make some child soldiers for the Paraguayans, anyone who has read about this terrible war knows that after heavy defeats, the Paraguayans were fielding an awful lot of boys, some as young as 10, 11. The accounts by Brazilian and Argentinian officers talked about this. They obviously would not be the same size as adult soldiers.

But a good argument for different size figures.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2021, 01:35:34 AM »
Nice updates - I recently got a large order from the Perrys for a similar project (including that gun). Like you I'll mix up the uniforms and hope for different sized figures (with a lot being noticeably mixed/African in appearance).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »
Its been a while since I finished anything for this.  I finally got some of my Brazilian cavalry finished and next up is a Brazilian gun.  With one more unit of these guys and the second gun done I'll have everything I need for my first game except high command and casualties.

I also need to do the flags for all of the Allied units still.  I haven't done any of them.  I should print some out soon and get them finished.  I suppose I won't be using any of this until at least September so that still gives me plenty of time to round things out.