Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russian submarine 1834  (Read 3204 times)

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
Russian submarine 1834
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »

found this while wandering the net, thought people might like it.

The first submarine in Russia was constructed in 1834 by Carl Schilder, though there had been some attempts, not really successful ones, in the period of Peter’s rule. In 1832 Schilder was engaged in investigation of underwater behavior of galvanic mines to apply them in protection of the Russian ports, and right then he conceived the basic idea of creation a submarine that would be able to move under water, come close to an enemy ship and blow it up with a galvanic mine.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=3572#more-3572

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Russian submarine 1834
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:17:49 AM »
Great find. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:29:23 AM »
I'd like to know what the black tubes are on the sides.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »

cheers

James

This is all the info on the sub.
The submarine was made of 5-millimeter thick boiler iron, and its egg-shaped body was 6 meters long, 2.25 meters wide and 1.85 meters high. There were two short towers of 1 meter high and 0.8 meter in diameter for people to get into, and they had firm metal lids, which were very tightly pressed to the top of the towers. In the middle of its body the submarine had a hatch for loading solid ballast and materials – it was locked the way it was with the small towers. Inside the submarine he installed special ballast tanks, which were filled with water and didn’t let the machine get up. Water got inside the tanks through special hydrants and was removed by a displacement pump.

To move the submarine under water the inventor provided it with special oars (paddlers), which were placed outside the body, two of them on each side. The device operated on the same principle as ducks webbed feet – when the submarine was moving backwards they were folded, and when it was pushed forth, they got unfolded.

To drive the submarine in the horizontal plane Schilder designed a vertical fishtail rudder. The stern tower had a look-see, a primitive copper periscope with two reflecting mirrors to observe the skyline. It could get up and down and be totally covered with water.

The machine had portholes in the top so that it wasn’t completely dark inside the body. It could get down under water up to 13 meters deep, and as there was a an extension pipe for getting fresh air when the submarine was just half in water, it was almost impossible for marines inside it to die of suffocation.

The submarine armaments were designed to ruin wooden tall ships of that period. It had a mine to be thrown at the enemy’s vessel and primitive racke

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
Aha, maybe some sort of barrier to stop anything crashing into the conning towers  :D

cheers

James

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:31:56 AM »

cheers

James

Maybe they do a bit of plumbing or guttering on the side  ;)

Nice find and got me thinking, does anyone on this board play subaquatic VSF scenarios? I've just remembered it was one of my intended projects when I first got into VSF a few years ago but the bits I collected are up in the loft somewhere. I'm sure I've seen pics of an underwater battle, just cant remember if it was  on this forum.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:52:28 AM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:19:49 AM »
Maybe they do a bit of plumbibg or guttering on the side  ;)

Surely it would be a Polish sub if that was the case  lol lol

My old club (from when I was a school/college) did a bit of VSF sub combat. It was good and I really enjoyed it, but unfortunately didn't prove to be that popular. Movement was really slow and had to be planned in advance along with torps etc.

cheers

James

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »
Very nice.
When you look at some ACTUAL inventions from the era it makes you wonder who they were going to get to pilot them...? Then again , at the time this was cutting edge technology.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.