Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686516
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Russian Diary  (Read 14544 times)

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
Re: My Russian Diary
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2022, 03:34:03 PM »
Wow, magnificent work.  What would it take to get a full pic of your forces (perhaps grouped by era!   :D )

Truly excellent stuff

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2022, 05:02:23 PM »
Lots to love in this thread, great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2022, 06:39:14 PM »
Thanks you two.

There are actually some full pictures of my finished projects in the first post of the thread.
And soon I should be able to post my finished 28mm WW2 company.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2022, 07:45:56 PM »
Before finally finishing up my 28mm WW2 VDV company, I have to do some more work for upcoming games in Flames of War.

First I had to work on some scouts this week. With the rest of the army being mostly made up of camo suits, I needed them to stick out, at least a little.
So I used those Peter Pig scouts (as I usually do for most of my army), and swapped their heads, equipping them with jump helmets.
I cannot say that I did enjoy the work, but I do like the result! Even as they do not really stick out that much.

Trophy SdKfz 222 from Zvezda, to be used as a BA64 Observer proxy.

And finally I finished my GAZ AA with Bofors, to be used in Bolt Action as a proxy for the (rather ugly) GAZ AAA with quad Maksim.
This was one of the projects I did plan for quite some time, but always had a low priority, because it was rather expensive, and not really that useful for most of my games. However I always did like the look of it, and found some great pictures on the internet about this, so I really wanted to do it.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2022, 04:28:05 AM »
Beautiful work!

Dan

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2022, 06:45:26 PM »
Thank you!

This week was rather busy, and I had to finish (what hopefully will be) the last infantry for Flames of War. Engineers from Battlefront. That should put me at somewhere around 60 infantry bases, and way more then enough for any reasonable game.

Then four 122mm howitzers, also from Battlefront.

And to finish off this weeks work, two Po- 2 from Zvezda, with Bren Gun 1/144 Japanese pilots. As Japanese pilots seem to be the only pilots I find out there for some reason.
This might conclude my need for planes for Flames of War, or more like other planes I would like do not seem to be availible in 1/144. Maybe it is time to get into resin 3d printing.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2022, 01:27:52 AM »

I used the long weekend to its full, ignoring family and friends, and tending to what really counts: painting metal.
First up I finished some partisans from Warlord Games, and one Hot& Dangerous miniature for Dust. While I do like the miniature a lot, I do not really had any Germans to stick her to, so I decided that with her short pants she much more will fit the partisans. And thats where she fights now.

With all those I might think about getting a partisan army going.

And next I worked on some miniatures I wanted to kind of throw away for a long time. I got me the Finnish ski troops from Warlord Games, and some mountaineers from another shop I cannot remember right now, and had planned to make some sort of 1920 arctic expedition kind of Frost Grave band. But unfortunately I never really got into Frost Grave, and so those miniatures just stood around for like a year or so.
Finally I decided that (together with the Soviet mountaineer from Heer46) they could make for some fine Soviet mountain troops. Not that I plan to do a snow based army, but I guessed before I throw them all away, I also could just paint them first. Also it is always nice to add some more dogs to my Russian forces, in one form or another. So I got another five, even though I feel like that a sixth might hide somewhere. Feels odd that I only got five, but then again I know nothing about sled pulling dogs.
The snow looks horrible, and thank god I stay away from it in the future.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2022, 07:14:05 PM »
I wanted to start working on some Lend Lease projects of mine soon, and for that I had to clean out some work space, and finally start and finish some older projects I had collecting dust for way too long.

First of all I wanted to add a commander with heavy fire support to my Weird World War 2 mecha project. Using a Hobby Base Fireball (1/35) as I was not able to find a model kit of the same model with an open hatch and interior (and was a bit too lazy to work on that myself).
I added a Warlord Games rocket launcher, that is supposed to go on the turret of a Sherman, and using some Warhammer 40k Tau bitz to create some sort of aiming/ recon device.
The half naked pilot is a swim suit resin model, and not an original idea of mine. I saw something very similar, but way bigger (1/35) being sold in the Maschinen Krieger series, and just wanted to copy that. The pose looks a little silly but I am still happy with it.

Next up a bit more of a kitbash for my games of Mad Maximilian and Gaslands.
I wanted to create something that fits in really nice with my two modified Aerosan, and mixed up a 1/48 Bedford Truck, and a 1/32 da Havialland to have the motor at the rear of the vehicle.
Adding in some bits and parts, and a 2cm flak canon from a the Warlord Games Hetzer box.
So finally this team is ready for some expedition!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2022, 06:57:00 AM »
Loving the creativity with your kitbashing! Everything looks great!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
Just catching up on this thread - so cool - and so much green!

You are certainly embracing the quantity has a quality of its own maxim!

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2022, 06:16:32 PM »
Thanks you two.

I actually had checked in on your blog just a few days ago, to see if there was any progress on the Twilight '49 project.
Just to see how it was going, not to steal ideas  o_o

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »
Starting with my 15mm Lend Lease project this week, I finished some older 28mm stuff that was unpainted for way too long.
I plan to mix up the colors of my Lend Lease units, doing some in Russian green, and some more in olive drab (when it comes to US units), and the British ones in only god knows.

Starting easy with a Cromwell tank from Warlord Games. Not doing anything special here, just painted it up in a Russian green and adding some red stars.

Something I did enjoy way more had been the Carriers. Adding tank rifles and some stowage. I am looking forward to use them, in Chain of Command, or even get some more.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2022, 05:19:39 PM »
Thanks you two.

I actually had checked in on your blog just a few days ago, to see if there was any progress on the Twilight '49 project.
Just to see how it was going, not to steal ideas  o_o

Not that I am making great progress… but you are welcome to use whatever inspiration moves you mate. Your lend lease stuff has me thinking. 👍

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2022, 07:10:20 PM »
With the new release of the Flames of War Eastern Front looming on the horizon, and the only recent release of the Bulge Germany book, I wanted to work on something different. Using the Bulge American book for some crazy Lend Lease/ What If army, or in other words: just play a army painted in the wrong colors.
With all models (or at least the vehicles) I did go for my usual Russian green, and not a maybe more fitting olive drab, as I did not want them to mix up with my more or less historical correct Lend Lease vehicles I already got.

For the most part I did choose to use exactly the units as needed, and not go too crazy with count as proxies. To keep things from getting too confusing on the board.

First up my Stuarts from Battlefront and Plastic Soldier. To make the formation HQ stick out somewhat I gave the two vehicles the cutters.
And the M8 I added because they are pretty nice looking little cannons, and it would be a shame to not have at least three of them. No matter if they have been delivered to Russia, or not.

As my usual Russian Flames of War lists contain a good two handful of T34, I wanted to have a lot of Shermans for that American Lend Lease one. Starting here with the M4A1 as one of the command cards requires some downgraded Shermans.
Later I will add the M4A2, and the 76mm but also some Firefly's as they are one of the coolest Sherman variants out there. Jumbo and Easy Eight are too much for me, and so I will leave them out of my lists.

M8, and M20 simply because I really like them, and need them to do some recon work. I have thought about the one or another proxy model, but did not really want to got for something as 'normal' as a B- 10. I hope I can come up with some more pulp like solution, but until then I am pretty pleases with those.
The jeeps are just fine, and I will have to add two closed ones later.

While I did not really plan to use the M10, I really could not pass up the chance to get and paint some.
I am not 100% happy with the covers I used, but now its too late to change them. And this way the unit leader sticks out pretty good.

The Pershing's are just placeholders. I do not like them, as they kind of stick out way too much from the Lend Lease project I have in mind. I wanted to replace them with IS3 at first, but those are a good deal smaller. So I might got for something like a KV with a 107mm gun. Something What If.

M3 with mortars. Cannot really not have them in Flames of War as they are dirt cheap, and good. They also fit in nice with the many M3 I already have, as anti aircraft guns, and troop transporters.

When it comes to infantry I will use what I already have as proxy, because I do not feel like as if I gain anything from making new infantry. PPSh, and Nagants seem to be a pretty decent count as for any submachine gun or bolt action rifle.
However I did not want to simply do the same thing with the special weapons. So I made new medium stands for the M1919, using Peter Pig US miniatures, and some Russian heads.
Same goes for the Bazooka teams, only that here I did not even had anything that could have worked as a proxy. My anti tank rifles are all on medium stands.

And a new army means new planes (of course)! I did not even bother to look at the book before buying those, as I wanted to have some Bell P-63 Kingcobra for a while, and this seemed to be just the right excuse to buy me some.

As this really is only a small project, I will not go too far with it. Just the 100 points I need for a solid list, and maybe something here and there to switch out.
Then putting in a proxy for units that will not be too confusing, like the Pershing's or maybe the M8 Greyhound. I did not want to use a lazy proxy for this list, like T34 I already own for the Sherman's.

Offline Seuchenhexer

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2022, 12:09:24 AM »

Getting ready for the weekend game I made some smoke markers with FreeCAD. They are just a temporary solution, as I would much more prefer to have some real 3D smoke.
But this will do for now, and is a big improvement over the red glass pearls I did use so far as smoke markers.