Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tolkien Orc Kitbash p.24 - Second batch of Uruk-Hai, and more trolls painted.  (Read 55456 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Tolkien Orc Kitbash p.14 'We are the fighting Uruk-Hai' (Painted!)
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2021, 09:20:24 PM »
The Olog-Hai were half-trolls, and they were, supposedly, created in the East, believed to be the crossbreeding of trolls and men.

No, the Olog-hai were trolls. There's a mention of "Black Men like half-trolls" at the Pelennor Fields, but they're described as Men, not as trolls. Here's what Tolkien says about the Olog-hai:

[At] the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant Orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the Twilight they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them.

There's nothing about them being created by cross-breeding with Men. And they weren't half-trolls ("Trolls they were ...").

In some unpublished writing, Tolkien does speculate about later trolls being made from "primitive human stock". But the end results were full trolls.

There are also mordor trolls that were shaped by the will of Sauron to be immune to the light of day until Sauron's fall. They were bigger and more controlled than the normal ones.

Those are the Olog-hai - as the Appendix F quote above makes plain. The logical inference from the Appendix F reference is that all the trolls seen in daylight (mountain-trolls seen at the Pelennor and hill-trolls at Gorgoroth) are Olog-hai. The Appendix reference is also foreshadowed in 'The Shadow of the Past':

Trolls were abroad, no longer dull-witted, but cunning and armed with dreadful weapons.

The chamber having a larger door is something also easy to see there. They weren't a secret door, and dwarf construction tends to lean towards the grandiose with regard to stone and metalwork. A large set of double doors fits the dwarf aesthetics there, especially due to it being a room for records, despite also being the location of the last stand there.

It's definitely just a single door, though it is described as "high". But the height of the very front doors of Moria is stressed, and Gandalf can still touch the inscription above them - and they are double doors. So it's a bit of a stretch to imagine that the single door to the Chamber is close to 12' high when the double doors to the complex can't be much more than 7', given Tolkien's description of Gandalf:

Gandalf even bent must have been at least 5 ft. 6... Which would make him a short man even in modern England, especially with the reduction of a bent back

There are also a lot of different types of trolls. I think it's a 7 or 8 types with the difference being the Snow Trolls which is something that may or may not be a real thing (The description is used to describe how one of the Rohirrim kings or heroes snuck into enemy camps like a snow troll and left none alive...if I remember the bit correctly).

Yes, that's in Appendix A: Helm Hammerhand.

From memory, we get stone trolls, hill trolls, cave trolls, mountain trolls and snow trolls. Then there are the Men "like half-trolls". The second (and last) time they are mentioned, they are just described as "half-trolls," so it's possible that they are actual hybrids; Tolkien( or Sam) describes Bill Ferny's friend as "more than half like a goblin", but it's later clear that he and Sharkey's Men do have Orcish blood.

The erroneous view Tolkien describes of the Olog-hai as "giant orcs" dovetails nicely with the good Captain's rendition of them, I think. You could take those fellows as giant orcs, even if you weren't strictly correct!

I think there might be something somewhere about the Elves not distinguishing between orcs and trolls, linguistically at least (though we do get Elvish words for both).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:24:29 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

As for the 'alternative' baggage load: That could almost work in the Shire at the end of Return of the King, what with Sharkey's 'industrial' approach.......almost. Maybe something more VSF rather than WW2.
 ;)

:D

Here's the first half of the Haradrim completed...
Same again to go, but I think I'll go back and do some more orcs first  ::)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tolkien Orc Kitbash p.17 - Haradrim troop and Mumakil #1 painted
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
Loving your take on this Richard :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
beautiful painting

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »
Love the Haradrim and Oliphant :-*

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2021, 05:33:25 PM »
A fantastic unit.  Very well done. 

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Wow!  Love-love-love your work.

What a wonderful collection of models and kitbashing. 

I recognize the Fireforge Medieval Russian heads and the old Mordheim Middenheimer head, but where did you get the heads wearing the turbans?

Is that a Victrix elephant?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »
Thanks lads  :)

I recognize the Fireforge Medieval Russian heads and the old Mordheim Middenheimer head, but where did you get the heads wearing the turbans?

Is that a Victrix elephant?

Yes, Victrix elephant with a bit of adaptation  ;)
All the parts used in these Haradrim kitbashes are listed out (and the unpainted builds shown) back on P13 of this thread :)
But to answer your question, two of the turban heads are from the recent Perry Afghan set. The helmets with the wraparound turban, are, as you say, Fireforge Russian heads with Green Stuff added.

I've got the other six infantry and the second elephant and crew yet to paint. But I've decided to work on and paint my first batch of wargs next (3 of 6), as they're going to take a LOT of adaptation.

Getting there slowly...
So far I've finished:

12 Mordor orc infantry
6 Mordor orc bowmen
6 Isengard Uruk-hai
1 Stone troll
6 Haradrim infantry
1 Oliphaunt and crew!

Made, prepped, primed or in process are...

5 more stone trolls
6 more Haradrim infantry
1 more Oliphaunt and crew
3 giant wargs and riders

Yet to begin making:

6 more Mordor orc bowmen
6 more Isengard Uruk-hai
3 giant wargs and riders

Should be quite a tasty little force once all done 8)

Online Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »
They look excellent! The bold bright colours suit them well.  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2021, 10:44:30 PM »
It’s great to see your project in full flow...maybe we should rename you Captain Flood  ;)

The Haradrim and Oliphaunt are my favourites so far...have never been a fan of the ridiculously sized beasts in the films.

8)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:01:47 PM by AKULA »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2021, 01:11:05 AM »
The Russian/Byzantine bits work really well for the Haradrim!

And great work on the bold paint scheme! (as always!)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2021, 04:51:42 AM »
Great work, yet again!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2021, 06:32:25 AM »
Incredible work as always Captain- everything from the kit bashing to the painting.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
Ooh, love those haradrim! But any temptation to copy was swiftly dispelled when I went back and read your parts list!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
Thanks all :)

Ooh, love those haradrim! But any temptation to copy was swiftly dispelled when I went back and read your parts list!

Yes, I had to buy quite a few assorted sprues off eBay to create these. But I think they’re worth it. And all those sprues, with all their remaining parts, will come in useful for other projects down the line :)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »
Beautiful colours on those.